God’s Gun / Diamante Lobo (Gianfranco Parolini, 1976)

I don’t believe so but his performance gives me a feeling that he drank his way through this flick.
Unless that is how he wanted the character to be.

I’m aware of LVC’s problem but I’ve read enough to know that he was a strict professional so I doubt he would drink on the set. Maybe he bent the rules from time to time. Who’s to know? ya know?

Just watched MGM DVD for the first time. I had seen this film 3 times already, always trying to find something good from it and always ending up hating it with all my heart. Watching good DVD release improved the film a bit but it’s still incredibly stupid and I agree with everything Stanton wrote earlier. I don’t know which is worse, the nonsense script that continuously insults viewer’s intelligence or other technical problems, the worst of them being mostly poor photography and that incredibly fake western town in Israel they used. The film hardly has any cinematic illusion and much of running time it feels like watching actors acting on sets and not “real” at all, more like some kind of making of documentary instead of proper film. Parolini really lost something important after Adios Sabata, since Return of Sabata suffers from exactly same problems. Sante Maria Romitelli’s score is great though and adds some real spaghetti atmosphere. The first scene with bandits attacking the town and the last one at cemetery are great and have that recognizable Parolini attitude I like, with handheld camera and weird angles. Together with some other nice scenes (Palance’s “hat trick” when shooting his own henchman!) the film is still worth only 2.5 out of 5… and I’m being quite merciful here.

What I’d like to know is that where Italian title “Diamante Lobo” comes from? Western all’ Italiana book 2 says that it’s the name LVC’s gunslinger character but other sources say that he’s called Lewis also in Italian version. Anyone knows about this? I’d also like to know about soundtrack. I have heard that it has never been officially released but is there a bootleg of some kind or MP3 files at least?

Never officially released as of yet, but I do have the bootleg version though.

I have the MGM release, which is an extremely nice quality widescreen print, and God’s Gun is in fact in my top 20.

I loved this movie even when I had the shitty fullscreen version. I mean, its got LVC looking like a goddamn crazy haired preacher. Its filled with well done shots & sequences, and decent action. I do not think it is a good “film” by any means, but I never fail to burst out with laughter while watching this, and that RARELY happens to me with any spaghettis- including all the ridiculous comedies. To top the humor off, I really do believe it is shot well and a pleasure to look at.

God’s Gun with or without the great MGM release print, in my top 20 fo’ sho.

You are extremely merciful here after what you had written before. You must be a saint. :wink:

Well, at least I voted just 2 stars since giving a film like this 3 would be insane… no offense to those 9 who have voted so. ;D

Maybe I should watch Return of Sabata from dvd also. Who knows, maybe it will get 2 stars this time. That would make it up to par with average Fidani or the best of Lattanzi…

I honestly wonder what happened to poor Parolini. His next film after God’s Gun was Yeti: The Giant of the 20th Century, one-of-a-kind turkey that has to be seen to be believed. I once read an interview with Brad Harris (who was Parolini’s friend at the time) and he told that Parolini wanted to sell Yeti to Warned Bros or some other big studio so it would get distribution it deserves. When Harris told Parolini that it’s not going work Parolini got all furious and proclaimed that Yeti is going to be 10 times bigger sensation than original King Kong ever was.

Here’s a scene from Yeti. I tend to agree with Parolini in a way, it IS more impressive than that criminally overrated 30s monkey-movie, though not in a way Parolini intended…

I still think that Return of S. is much, much better than GG.

I still think that RoS is easily on par with the other 2 Sabata films.

The general bashing of RoS is another one of these puzzling things for me. I have not the slightest idea why RoS should be so much weaker.

Not easy to decide what’s the worst aspect of RETURN OF SABATA:

The unimaginative directing?

The dull acting?

The unatmospheric sets and costumes?

The lousy photography (Sandro Mancori wtf happened to you)?

The shitty action scenes (that are too few and far between to begin with)?

The standard dialogues?

The far too complex and confusing plot?

The shitty humour?

The bad guys, all second rate?

The fact that the film has too much going on while it still doesn’t seem to go anywhere?

Sabata himself, reduced from enigmatic gunfighter to almost joe average?

Pedro Sanchez, here more annoying than ever (I liked him in the 1st one btw)?

Marcello Giombini’s disappointing score?

The fact that this piece of sh*t is the only official sequel to one of my all-time favorites?

[quote=“Silver Wolf, post:48, topic:346”]Not easy to decide what’s the worst aspect of RETURN OF SABATA:

The dull acting?

The standard dialogues?

The shitty humour?

The fact that the film has too much going on while it still doesn’t seem to go anywhere?

Marcello Giombini’s disappointing score?

The fact that this piece of sh*t is the only official sequel to one of my all-time favorites?[/quote]

Yeah, but how do you REALLY feel? :slight_smile:

I’ve never made it past the first five minutes of this one.

You have changed your view of Boot Hill…so you never know ???.

Quite true, quite true.

(Although I was predisposed to LIKE Colizzi. Not so much Parolini) Hey, that rhymes.

Sorry, of topic but RF, you need to clear your Pmessages !!!

Return of Sabata beats Boot Hill in my opinion, also in the circus department.

A man of many talents :). I do like the word predisposed though and may have to use sometime ;).

Sorry, all clear now.

:slight_smile:

Return of Sabata beats Gods Gun which beats Boot Hill.

But they’re all still turkeys, 2 stars max. I save the 1 star for the Gianni Crea movies and their ilk, but I don’t think any of these 3 will make it past 2 stars no matter how many times I watch them!

no love for GG… no love…

It’s like that for me:
God’s Gun [5/10] < Boot Hill [6/10] < The Return of Sabata [6/10]

[quote=“Silver Wolf, post:48, topic:346”]Not easy to decide what’s the worst aspect of RETURN OF SABATA:

The dull acting?

The standard dialogues?

The shitty humour?

Marcello Giombini’s disappointing score?[/quote]

In all these points I can’t see a difference to Sabata.

All 3 Sabata’s are meanwhile 6/10 (with the false one Adios Sabata still being the best)

God’s Gun 1/10 (for the opening sequence)

Boots Hill 8/10

Don’t be so careless with your eternal soul !