GIU' LA TESTA (Definitive Edition)

Sounds like must-have cd. Info taken from intermezzomedia.com:

Cinevox Records is proud to celebrate the 35th anniversary of ““Giu’ la testa”” (aka ““Duck you sucker””) re-issuing a de-luxe two disc set special edition with the fabulous score by legendary composer Ennio Morricone.
The classic Western movie directed by Sergio Leone in 1971 and starring James Coburn and Rod Steiger, was distributed worldwide and has reached the status of Cult among legions of fans in every corner of this globe (see the posters on pages 8 & 9).Recently, exploring the Cinevox Records vaults, we have discovered the complete stereo master tapes containing the Recording session that took place during April 1971 and later during August/September 1971. Those tapes, found in excellent condition, had not been played since then and for us it was a very exciting listening experience. We discovered lost gems of music and tracks which were recorded but which weren’t included in the final cut of the movie!
Dissc 1 contains the eleven stereo tracks in the same sequence appeared on the vinyl album in 1971 (MDF 33/50) and on all the international issues (see the record sleeves on pages 10 & 11) in a digital restored and improved version.
Disc 2 contains the film versions and alternate takes which see the light here for the first absolute time in full stereo (track 13 appeared as bonus track on the 1998 CD re-issue MDF 301 but at the time only in a mono mix, while now it is presented in full stereo). Tracks n.14 and 15 were the rare alternate versions issued only on a French compilation. Leone and Morricone’s fans will discover great alternate takes of the album tracks such as ““Mesa verde””, reprised with a more pop tone and also with an epic trumpet, a totally different take of ““Invenzione per John””, the stunning variations of ““Marcia degli accattoni”” and the reprises of the main themes in an atonal context… in brief, there is only one word which can describe this movie and its music. A ““MASTERPIECE”” of Italian Western Cinema. This Special edition CD, with the generous total length of 101’30"", born like a very much deserved Tribute to the Cinema of Sergio Leone and the Film Music of Ennio Morricone, contains rare archive colour stills from the movie, witnessing the beauty of this immortal movie score.
Contains a Deluxe 12 pages color booklet

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:1, topic:426”]Sounds like must-have cd. Info taken from intermezzomedia.com:

Cinevox Records is proud to celebrate the 35th anniversary of ““Giu’ la testa”” (aka ““Duck you sucker””) re-issuing a de-luxe two disc set special edition with the fabulous score by legendary composer Ennio Morricone.
The classic Western movie directed by Sergio Leone in 1971 and starring James Coburn and Rod Steiger, was distributed worldwide and has reached the status of Cult among legions of fans in every corner of this globe (see the posters on pages 8 & 9).Recently, exploring the Cinevox Records vaults, we have discovered the complete stereo master tapes containing the Recording session that took place during April 1971 and later during August/September 1971. Those tapes, found in excellent condition, had not been played since then and for us it was a very exciting listening experience. We discovered lost gems of music and tracks which were recorded but which weren’t included in the final cut of the movie!
Dissc 1 contains the eleven stereo tracks in the same sequence appeared on the vinyl album in 1971 (MDF 33/50) and on all the international issues (see the record sleeves on pages 10 & 11) in a digital restored and improved version.
Disc 2 contains the film versions and alternate takes which see the light here for the first absolute time in full stereo (track 13 appeared as bonus track on the 1998 CD re-issue MDF 301 but at the time only in a mono mix, while now it is presented in full stereo). Tracks n.14 and 15 were the rare alternate versions issued only on a French compilation. Leone and Morricone’s fans will discover great alternate takes of the album tracks such as ““Mesa verde””, reprised with a more pop tone and also with an epic trumpet, a totally different take of ““Invenzione per John””, the stunning variations of ““Marcia degli accattoni”” and the reprises of the main themes in an atonal context… in brief, there is only one word which can describe this movie and its music. A ““MASTERPIECE”” of Italian Western Cinema. This Special edition CD, with the generous total length of 101’30"", born like a very much deserved Tribute to the Cinema of Sergio Leone and the Film Music of Ennio Morricone, contains rare archive colour stills from the movie, witnessing the beauty of this immortal movie score.
Contains a Deluxe 12 pages color booklet[/quote]
Does anyone have this yet, as sounds pretty cool?

I just placed an order on Intermezzomedia. I was going to buy this but I prefer to buy my soundtracks on lp so I bought Revolver-soundtrack instead. :smiley: Does anyone know what’s the length of Dagored Giu’la testa lp? well, a least it can be as massive as this double cd with lenght of 101 minutes but if it would contain all the best and most interesting tracks I would prefer to buy that one.

Yes I have Revolver on C.D, you will enjoy.
Pondering on whether to get Indio Black soundtrack aswell, as some nice themes in this film.
Sorry do not know length of GIU LA TESTA on L.P, but like you say not as long as the new double c.d.
There is supposed to be some really good new tracks on the double c.d though.

That’s really wonderful to hear. I think that it is Morricone’s strangest and most obscure score but still one of my personal favorites.

I had a compilation of Morricone compositions but it didn’t have one of my favorite sections of “Giu la Testa”. It’s the short section of “March of the Beggars” but played on acoustic guitars when James Coburn walks out of the boxcar…and the camera tracks him just until he delivers the line…“Duck You Sucker”.

Information about almost every soundtrack that was released.I think the one you mentioned was the Cinevox CDMDF612 edition …

i have an OST of Giu la testa called “Once upon a time in the revolution”, but i dont know where its from.

I picked up the double disc version the other day, and you get a heck of amount of music for your money.

The second disc contains alot of different arrangements to the music in the film, and is very laid back and chilled music to listen to.

One of his best scores.

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:8, topic:426”]I picked up the double disc version the other day, and you get a heck of amount of music for your money.

The second disc contains alot of different arrangements to the music in the film, and is very laid back and chilled music to listen to.

One of his best scores.[/quote]

Up, Giú la testa is one of my favourite soundtracks also… Where did you pick it up ? And at what price? Am looking for decent (cheap!) soundtrack web shops.

I picked mine up at a local film memorabilia fair here in the U.K for five pounds.

That’s bloody cheap… :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, thats what I thought!

I finally good hold of this new double-cd release. And yummy it’s good. Perhaps Morricone’s finest spaghetti western soundtrack (and is there anything else :slight_smile: ).

Certainly the most melancholic. For people looking for a soundtrack to buy, go for this one and for this edition. Worth the money.