Gatling Gun / Quel caldo maledetto giorno di fuoco (Paolo Bianchini, 1968)

I am certain that it will :wink:

2 Likes

You got an inside scoop Mr Admin? :smirk:

no, just the assumption I have made elsewhere already: all these are StudioCanal licensesā€¦ so whichever western company is releasing a lot of StudioCanal films may be a prime candidate to follow up on all this Japanese activity. The rest ist just good old deduction :wink:

2 Likes

Fingers crossed then! Would love to see this one with a proper clean HD print.

I didnā€™t find the MILL CREEK release crappy at all ā€¦ it is in fact a massive improvement over the DORADO FILMS DVD release, which had jerky movement throughout, as it was badly converted PAL to NTSC ā€¦ though I think Dorado had claimed that it was their own transfer ā€¦ thatā€™s highly suspect. :thinking:

4 Likes

Though it was some time ago that I last watched it, I actually remember being pleasantly surprised at the quality considering that it was Mill Creek.

2 Likes

I actually have this film via that Mill Creek bluray and the quality isā€¦ fine. It does feel like a DVD scan at a higher resolution (apparently because it is one or smt) and the quality does temporarily dip during the scenes set at the county fair. But itā€™s not like other Mill Creek prints which have lots of damage and scratches.

Anyways, all this talk of the film now makes me wanna give it a third watch. I actually do like the film, and Iā€™m thinking of seeing it more as a conspiracy thriller than a western, cause thatā€™s what it basically is.

Also I made this custom poster where I made up my own title with this idea in mind.

3 Likes

A few days ago, I had received the Japanese Blu-Ray.
In some scenes, the sound is distorted or muffled.
The audios are Italian DTS-HDMA 2.0ch and Italian Dolby Digital.

9 Likes

Looks pretty good.

3 Likes

Looks very good, hopefully we see another company announce this soon!!

Is it progressive or interlaced?

It is progressive (1080p).

2 Likes

Think itā€™s finally time for my first real commentā€¦joined the forum about a week ago but have been so busy with work I havenā€™t had a chance to really get on here till now!

I watched this for the first time last night and really enjoyed it. Robert Woods is one of my favorite spaghetti leading actors despite the inconsistency of his filmography and he was very solid here, but the movie definitely belongs to John Ireland. What a great character and performance. The last spaghetti I had seen him in was Run Man, Run, where I thought he was a bit underused so it was great seeing him get so much screen time.

I can definitely see why Tarantino rates this one highly. There are a lot of tropes here that show up regularly in his own work; the fictionalized use of real historical figures, the pacing and structure of the story (in the first half especially), the sudden bursts of violence, colorful side characters, gratuitous feet shotsā€¦

I will say that the ending felt a little abrupt. The final shootout was great but after the (somewhat predictable) reveal of Tarpas partner there werenā€™t really any more surprises in store plot wise, and I didnā€™t quite buy the supposedly budding romance in the last scene either. Lastly, the music. I actually liked it enough on its own, but I definitely have to agree with the consensus that it simply does not fit the movie at all. Certainly not the worst Iā€™ve ever heard in a spaghetti but a more fitting score would really have elevated the movie in my opinion.

Overall I found this to be highly enjoyable, with John Irelandā€™s performance being the biggest highlight. Not top 20 material for me at least but very easy to recommend. While itā€™s certainly no Black Jack or El Puro I think itā€™s definitely one of Woods best as well.

5 Likes

I just watched this one again.
If someone could update the main page: Quel caldo maledetto giorno di fuoco

At least some of the ā€œfilming locationsā€ were set at:
CinecittĆ  Studios
AlcalĆ” De Henares
Aranjuez
Casa De Campo
Colmenar Viejo
Manzanares El Real
Tabernas

Thanks,

1 Like

I donā€™t think so ā€¦ none of Robert Woods films made in Spain were done in the Tabernas desert area ā€¦ He went no further south than Guadix, for ā€˜Seven Guns for the McGregorsā€™

Edit: @Admin I see you have already included Tabernas as a location - this is definitely inaccurate

1 Like

Tom Betts seems to think otherwise. :man_shrugging:

ā€œThe location of the old mission which is seen only in the distance on top of a hill is actually the back side of the El Condor fortress.ā€

Gatling Gun Locations

Wouldnā€™t be the first time he got it wrong! ā€¦ I met Robert Woods in 2013, and we discussed locations, which is a passion of mine - he confirmed that he never worked in the Tabernas region.

If you can come up with a screen shot from the film that shows this location, I will be very surprised - meantime, Iā€™ll dig out my copy of ā€˜Gatling Gunā€™, just to confirm what I already know.

Just skimmed through ā€˜Gatling Gunā€™ ā€¦ and I can see how the confusion has arisen - Ok ā€¦ this film was made in 1968 ā€¦ The ā€˜El Condorā€™ fort didnā€™t exist until 1969 ā€¦ (the film was released 1970) ā€¦ and wasnā€™t in ruins until a few decades later.

What we see in this screen shot is an Italian location used for ā€˜Kill Them All & Come Back Aloneā€™ ā€¦ the main action in that film was Tabernas, though the mission tower (Todos Santos / All Saints) was a matte painting and not an actual film set ā€¦ Chuck Connors and company are seen in the Almeria location and the main battle, where the waterwheel is blown is this Italian location.

This is from ā€˜Gatling Gunā€™ the scene happens @ 1 hour 26 mins

3 Likes

I also thought that looked like an Italian location in your screenshot. Where, I donā€™t know?
Not to drag Tom into this, but I was just stating where I got that information on Tabernas from.

Thanks,

1 Like

No problem ā€¦ Iā€™ve been to Almeria 8 times on location viewing/hunting trips, itā€™s somewhere very special to me ā€¦ so I would have noticed right away if any scenes from ā€˜Gatling Gunā€™ had been filmed there.

When there are so many errors relating to film productions from 3rd hand sources and commentary track ā€˜expertsā€™, I feel it important that the SWDB has the most reliable info .

I donā€™t know everything about the area or every single film made there, nor have I visited the other major location sites bordering Madrid ā€¦ but I have done 100s of location comparison photos from my own pictures, for my own pleasure - itā€™s a great feeling to stand on a virtually unchanged location site and recall so many iconic films.

I used to post these comparison photos on Facebook years ago, but got fed up with people using the images and actually taking credit for the stuff I shared. In one instance a Spanish guy set up a web site of Almeria locations using my comparisons and he didnā€™t even have the manners to ask permission or credit me as the photographer / researcher. The strange thing is that the guy in question lives in Almeria and yet he never got off his arse to make his own photo comparisons, when itā€™s all there on his ā€˜doorstepā€™, so to speak.

6 Likes