Franco Cleef

I have been patient!!! I have waited over 20 years for some of my favourite SW’s to be released. Franco Cleef is the only source for many great SW’s. If an official release of a DVD comes out that Franco has already dubbed, I would buy it anyway. For example, I have both Franco’s and X-rated’s “Light the Fuse, Sartana is Coming”.

You quoted the wrong guy here Cian ::slight_smile:

Oooops! My humble apologies.

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:20, topic:413”]I think you are right it tends to be more in the horror and science fiction areas.

I still have a few U.K customers (I sell film memorabilia), who are like this though with the spaghetti westerns, you can not have a conversation with them about anything else, they just look at you blank!

Perhaps people may be different perhaps in different countries, , I do not know, what do you think?[/quote]

Yes, you know Star Trek or Star Wars fans for example, real nerds, haha :smiley:

These guys you’re talking about who are into spaghettis, do they only like these films or are they general movie buffs? I could imagine that they like a lot of other films as well, not only sw’s, and therefore they have no other interests.

But if you mainly like spaghetti westerns you should also appreciate nature, sunshine, food, drink, señoritas etc :wink:

Spaghettis are very down to earth and about life in a lot of ways, even if they’re stylized adventure movies.

And another thing to really adore outside of these films are all the wonderful musical scores, you don’t need the films to listen to this music :slight_smile:

Re your comments Silvanito.

They are like you say I think general movie buffs, with a very strong interest in the spaghetti field.
They appear (after selling them stuff for a few years now), no or little interest in anything else besides films in particular westerns .

You cannot have a conversation with them about anything other but films, as like I say they look at you blank or do not expand on other areas of conversation that you may happen to bring up.

They appear not to have other interests, and I know from speaking to them in the past for example they do not go on holiday or drink.

But it is a good job you mentioned music, as I have a few Morricone soundtracks I have to sought out for my next sale!

I am from the U.K and like a whole spectrum of film genres (Spaghettis are my favourite though).

Everything in my opinion does seem to have some over the top fans, especially Science fiction fans (most of them probably virgins!) and fans of cult tv (this is the ultimate pits, for the likes of Dr.Who, Blakes 7 etc, i think it would be more appropriate to call it Cunt tv instead of cult because that’s what most of these fans are. Ha!Ha!) :wink:

ok, back to the subject. Films I mentioned are now available on xploited (but I advice you to get them directly from FC if you’re interested.)

http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/want-liveshoot-franco-cleef-reconstruction-dvdr-p-10989.html

http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/jonathan-bears-franco-cleef-reconstruction-dvdr-p-10990.html

How can you get a list of Franco Cleef’s movies?

He can sell these DVDs legaly, without having the rights? Incredible!

By the way, there is also a uncut Franco Cleef DVD of Jonny Oro. How long does it run?

Xploited stocks all of them, so do a Franco Cleef search on their site and you’ll get the full list.

Franco Cleef isn’t just in it for the money. Sure he makes money but hes also a great guy. Not too long ago he sent me a free copy of one of the sartana movies. A guy who only cares about money wouldn’t be so generous. Plus he is good friends with the head of Wild East who gives him full blessings for all the his releases. So obviously he is not interfering with the releases of any of the legitimate companies.

Lets put it this way, he is doing a great service for English speaking Sw fans, especially in north america where there is a lack of quality SW releases. If he gets rich off this I couldn’t think of a more deserving fellow.

Copying commercial DVDs is illegal. All DVDs carry a warning that tell you this. You can be fined or imprisoned for doing so.

It might be argued that making a copy of a foreign DVD onto your computer and then editing an English video track onto it for your own enjoyment isn’t too bad, but it’s still illegal.
It might be argued that sharing a copy of that disc with your friends is also quite acceptable; after all your friends might have supplied you with the English Language track. But this is illegal on two counts - copying and sharing.
When money changes hands, even if it’s only a penny on top of the postage and packing, now that’s really illegal.
But to actually sell the work on a web site is just asking for the FBI to kick down the door.

What I really find quite ironic is that Franco Cleef got upset about people buying copies of his illegal movies, and then copying them to re-sell on e-bay. That’s a strange kind of morality kicking in there. What’s he, or Xploited, going to do about it ? Sue for beach of copyright ?

I personally don’t give two hoots if its illegal or not. FC has done the SW community a great service. If what Franco Cleef is doing is wrong, than I don’t want to be right.

[quote=“IndioBlack, post:32, topic:413”]Copying commercial DVDs is illegal. All DVDs carry a warning that tell you this. You can be fined or imprisoned for doing so.

It might be argued that making a copy of a foreign DVD onto your computer and then editing an English video track onto it for your own enjoyment isn’t too bad, but it’s still illegal.
It might be argued that sharing a copy of that disc with your friends is also quite acceptable; after all your friends might have supplied you with the English Language track. But this is illegal on two counts - copying and sharing.
When money changes hands, even if it’s only a penny on top of the postage and packing, now that’s really illegal.
But to actually sell the work on a web site is just asking for the FBI to kick down the door.

What I really find quite ironic is that Franco Cleef got upset about people buying copies of his illegal movies, and then copying them to re-sell on e-bay. That’s a strange kind of morality kicking in there. What’s he, or Xploited, going to do about it ? Sue for beach of copyright ?[/quote]

Of course we all know that those things you mentioned are illegal.
Stealing an apple is illegal too, and I wouldn’t encourage it.
I only stole one apple in all my life (well, it wasn’t an apple, but something like it) and only bought one illegal DVD.
But from time to time I’m still a bit worried about it - that’s how I am.
But hey, they won’t lock you behind bars for stealing one apple or buying one illegal DVD/thing, or even stealing/buying twelve.
You know that and I know that.
I’m still a bit worried about those things, but that’s a personal thing.
It should be a personal thing to you too.
But it clearly isn’t.

So what are you up to, mr. Indioblack?
What is the purpose of this first post on the forum?

(If you’re a priest, I apologize; in that case you’d only be doing your job)

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:34, topic:413”]So what are you up to, mr. Indioblack?

(If you’re a priest, I apologize; in that case you’d only be doing your job)[/quote]

HAHAHA It seems he joined the board for the sole purpose of making an anti-FC statement.

In one point I do agree with him though. I too remember reading something on the other spaghetti board about someone selling off Franco Cleef-‘releases’ he had obviously burnt himself and some people got upset about this. This of course makes no sense This is a very gray area market and I am sure that a lot of people on this site is trading Franco Cleef-dvds with no worry that they are actually costing FC money. And neither should they be. The best you can hope to get with these dub/sub fan-projects are credit, everything else is extra.

My only concern with these FC-projects and probably others are that they are actually driving business away from legitimate companies actually producing usuable stuff. How many people in here got the FC-release of The Big Gundown, and how many have the fine Koch Media release and if the FC-release weren’t in exístence would you go for the Koch Media one? See the potential problem?

It’s a very valid point and one that I struggle with constantly. I want to do everything I can to support the legitimate releases of these films as that is the best way to encourage them to release more. That is why I buy film’s like God’s Gun even though I don’t really want them in particular. It’s a small thing I can do to help convince MGM that there is a market for spaghetti westerns.

But I don’t think Koch Media are helping themselves much by holding back a title as important as The Big Gundown as a single release. There is no way someone like myself can justify buying the whole Sollima box set when I already own 2 out of the 3 from elsewhere. It’s a real pity because as a company they do more than anyone to release quality films but on this issue they are short sighted I believe and in reality are just encouraging sales to non official suppliers.

I have so far still resisted the temptation to buy the Van Cleef edition of The Big Gundown as I still hope that Koch will see sense and release it on its own. But I can easily understand why others have not been so patient.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:34, topic:413”]So what are you up to, mr. Indioblack?

(If you’re a priest, I apologize; in that case you’d only be doing your job)[/quote]

The purpose of my post is to open up the debate on the issue, clarify the legal position and state my own opinion. A by-product of that, is that I then discover how open the folks here are to viewpoints that disagree with their own and which may make them uncomfortable.

It is obvious that some people are upset with me telling them that what Franco Cleef is doing is illegal, and I appear to have made two enemies already.

Now that I’ve answered your question, please answer mine:

Would you consider it wrong for me to make copies of Franco Cleef’s DVDs and then sell them on e-bay ? And why ?

[quote=“IndioBlack, post:38, topic:413”]The purpose of my post is to open up the debate on the issue, clarify the legal position and state my own opinion. A by-product of that, is that I then discover how open the folks here are to viewpoints that disagree with their own and which may make them uncomfortable.

It is obvious that some people are upset with me telling them that what Franco Cleef is doing is illegal, and I appear to have made two enemies already.

Now that I’ve answered your question, please answer mine:

Would you consider it wrong for me to make copies of Franco Cleef’s DVDs and then sell them on e-bay ? And why ?[/quote]

I wasn’t upset with you telling that FC’s activities are illegal, Indioblack, I knew already very well the activities were illegal. I also stated that we all knew they were illegal.
In fact, I wasn’t at all upset.
And I’m certainly not your enemy.
I wasn’t sure about your motivations, so I asked you about them.

If you want to open a debate, that’s OK with me.
My point of view (which is shared by several people on the forum, so I have noticed) is as follows:
I support legal releases wherever possible;
I have no FC releases and only one illegal release, a DVDr from Anda muchacho anda!
And yes, I think making copies and then sell them on e-bay is wrong.
And yes, I consider it wrong for you to make copies of FC’s DVDs and sell them on e-bay. Who or what FC is, is of no importance in this matter; even if he were a crook, or worse, it would be wrong for you to do so: you’re not less wrong if others are equally wrong!
But these are all personal opionions, I’m not a member of an Internet Special crime Unit.
And I’m not a priest, I think people know very well what they are doing, there’s no need for me warning them they go to hell if they do not change their behaviour.

there’s nothing wrong with copying FC’s stuff, because essentially, that’s exactly what he does - legally speaking - plus the extra work he puts into improving the stuff. it’s not like he’s a company that licensed all that material. nobody is forcing him to put all that work into it.
selling the stuff is a different thing. it’s just as illegal as FC’s sellling them is - or not. plus, outside the USA, almost any copying and selling of bootlegs - and FC stuff are bootlegs, legally speaking - is practially non-legal.

I wish we had some lawyers in here, but as far as I understand it, it is entirely FC’s own risk to put all this work into it, I don’t believe he has ANY legal way of challenging whatever people do with the material they got from him.