Jan 6: A new version 1.7 of the Discourse forum software will be released soon. I will post some highlights this weekend. For those interested in what is coming up, you can read an exhaustive list of features here.
Jan 15: The new version has landed, and here are just a few highlights that you can easily spot
On the latest posts page, you’ll see a line that shows you what happened since your last visit, a nice visual aid
The categories page has been revamped and now has a sidebar that brings the latest posts/topics. It is thus a more useful hybrid page
Some more highlights
- Improved navigation on mobile devices (especially moving back and forth, scrolling down)
- More links pasted into posts will now automatically expand into a preview box (“onebox”) and you can start a post with a link (Just paste a link into the title field and see what happens)
- Email summaries (usually sent at the end of the day or week, depending on your setting) were redesigned and are even more useful now
- Advanced search as gotten some useful updates
- Tons of security, performance and UI fixes
- see official blog post and release notes
Nice to see the software we use here evolve every six months to become even more useful. I love posting in the forums from my mobile phone, it just works really well
The new version of Discourse 1.8 will come very soon, for those interested in finding out what will be available soon, please read
or the full release notes at https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-version-1-8/49801
I will let you know once we’re rolling live with the update
The update is now live. Let us know if you experience any problems. Two of you were awarded user of the month badges already
The new year will start with the 1.9 upgrade to Discourse, bringing a number of interesting improvements to the forum software. Stay tuned
It will probably arrive in the next days/weeks, and it brings a whole lot of smaller and larger upgrades to the forum, if you’re into the nitty gritty techy stuff you can check it out here https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-version-1-9/61289
This forum now uses Discourse 1.9, which brings the improvements linked to above, some of which are neatly explained here:
Privacy at the SWDb forums in a nutshell:
- we use Google Analytics
- we may use Google Adsense
- Embedded media (e.g. YouTube) is like visiting those pages
- we don’t pass on your personal data to third parties
- your data is transmitted via an https connection
- We’ll export and/or delete the data we have on you at your request
etc. Stay tuned and contact us if you have any questions.
Discourse 2.0 is coming shortly to this forum… for those interested, the following link provides some detail about what’s coming:
We are now running Discourse 2.0, enjoy!
Forum upgraded to Discourse 2.1 / to read more about what this brings for you, read the below article by the makers of Discourse:
So we’re now on 2.2, which brings a lot of under-the-hood updates (it also broke a few things, images mostly, some things are still being fixed while you’re reading this)… for those interested in what it is, their product blog has the details:
On the top right corner of the screen, next to your user icon, I also updated some of the essential quick-access icons.