Five underrated Spaghetti Westerns

Yep, Boot Hill is as good (bad) as The last killer. Both 5/10

Yes, an often overlooked masterpiece.

No, it’s similar to Day of Anger, but I would clearly prefer it to the Valerii film. But it seems most people would not.

Better acted, better directed, better developed

Django the Last Killer
Hole in the Forehead
Viva Django
Minnesota Clay
Bandidos

[quote=“Stanton, post:22, topic:1908”]No, it’s similar to Day of Anger, but I would clearly prefer it to the Valerii film. But it seems most people would not.

Better acted, better directed, better developed[/quote]

I knew it was similar to a more famous, but obviously inferior genre outing

He he, it’s not obvious, otherwise The Last Killer wouldn’t be underrated. It is a film which grows for me with every viewing, but it was a good one from the beginning on.

Day of Anger is a good film, but in a more limited way. A film which doesn’t fulfill it’s own potential.

The Last Killer is direct, where Day of Anger is circuitous.

There’s only 3 good things about The last killer: Eastman, Ghidra and Pregadio. The script is full of cliches, there are no surprises and it’s of course a variation on a tired theme. Vari isn’t much of a director, though I liked Poker with pistols. Day of anger is no master piece either (because of a similar premisse) but a better, more accomplished and more enjoyable effort than The last killer.

Vari wasn’t a genius, but he was an underrated SW director. All his films show a certain feeling for western situations, which some better known directors not had. Even his most routine western isn’t a bad one. And he had to deal in all his westerns with limited budgets, and he mostly made the best out of it.

The first 20 min of TLK are a bit undecided here and there, but the rest is flawlessly directed and is a real pleasure to watch. For me.
I would call The Last Killer an intelligent and well filmed SW.

Saw Buco in Fronte the other day, and thought it was a nice little SW

I’m having a Vari war movie (Un Posto all’Inferno/A place in hell) on top - well, not quite - of my to watch list. Looking forward to it.

Silence what did you mean by this one ???

Fidani film I believe

It is a Fidani film which I found quite entertaining.

It’s a dreadful cut & paste job that even Batzella would be ashamed of. Horrible.

Maybe thats why he liked it? :-\

Kind of.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:28, topic:1908”]Saw Buco in Fronte the other day, and thought it was a nice little SW

I’m having a Vari war movie (Un Posto all’Inferno/A place in hell) on top - well, not quite - of my to watch list. Looking forward to it.[/quote]
As with many SW’s I’ve seen lately. Un Buco was much better second go 'round. Sometimes, for me, it’s the name & what I come to expect from a movie. Bullet In the Head tells me brutal, violent etc. & What Un Buco is is a much slower film, driven by a slow paced Soundtrack. Knowing what your getting going in, it makes a much better watch. Un Buco reminds me of a baseball game, very enjoyable but a slow & acquired view.

I’d say:

Death Sentence
Yankee
Days of Violence
Price of Power
A Hole in the Forehead

Mescal: “It is humiliating for work for pay. It’s much better to steal.”

Welcome to the forum Major Clyde. And you can put the quote in your signature so you don’t have to write it every time you post.

[quote=“Major Clyde, post:36, topic:1908”]I’d say:

Death Sentence
Yankee
Days of Violence
Price of Power
A Hole in the Forehead

Mescal: “It is humiliating for work for pay. It’s much better to steal.”[/quote]

Good list of movies.

I think Tessari’s Long Live Your Death is pretty underrated, it’s at #78 on the top 20, I think it deserves a better place

And for a Roof a Sky full of Stars, 7 Dollars on the Red are probably underrated as well

And Requiem for a Gringo.