Film within a film

I never really paid attention to these, but after seeing this nice little Godard/Karina short in Cleo from 5 to 7, I want to seek out more films like these, the only other ones I remember seeing were in Masculin Feminin and Inglourious Basterds. Anyone know of any other “films within a film”?

[url]- YouTube

Oh jeez, there are so many examples. I think Tropic Thunder had half a dozen or so, including of course Tropic Thunder, but also the Scorcher movies, Simple Jack (“full retard”), the Fatties movies and the superb Satan’s Alley.

spaghetti western references include these…
In The Harder they Come (1972) Jimmy Cliff takes refuge in a Jamaican cinema where Django is showing.
In the rather marvellously titled giallo by Fulci, Don’t Torture a Duckling, (also from 1972), there’s a couple of tv shots showing Garringo/Dead are Countless.
I think I remember in Dirty Harry, at the beginning, when Clint is pointing a gun at a fellah and a fire hydrant is going off, there’s a cinema in the background showing Play Misty For Me, but I could’ve been hallucinating for that one?

Is this the sort of thing you mean?

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:3, topic:2687”]spaghetti western references include these…
In The Harder they Come (1972) Jimmy Cliff takes refuge in a Jamaican cinema where Django is showing.
In the rather marvellously titled giallo by Fulci, Don’t Torture a Duckling, (also from 1972), there’s a couple of tv shots showing Garringo/Dead are Countless.
I think I remember in Dirty Harry, at the beginning, when Clint is pointing a gun at a fellah and a fire hydrant is going off, there’s a cinema in the background showing Play Misty For Me, but I could’ve been hallucinating for that one?

Is this the sort of thing you mean?[/quote]

I’m thinking more like a “small film” that are made just to be included in a “big film”, other than a already made film which is featured in another film.

Ahhh - don’t know any then 'scept there’s a cartoon short at the start of Who framed Roger Rabbit that’s a film in it’s own right … but also not quite what you meant.

There was also a stand-alone short that prefixed one of the Monty Python films - probably …Holy Grail, that had a spoof travel documentary that had Cleese stating “and here’s some more fucking gondalas” which I remember being pretty funny. Which reminds me, Gillian did a short at the start of another with a pirate spoof.
These are probably not what you mean either - but worth a mention maybe. :wink:

One that I think is very funny is Hollywood Shuffle with Robert Townsend and the Wayans brothers…

You’ll have to scout around to find a copy that hasn’t been removed by Fox, but it was only recently pointed out that all of the McBain clips from Simpsons episodes put together in the order they originally appeared make a mostly coherent mini-film that was spread out across several seasons.

Hmm… Jurassic Park features the characters watching a short cartoon… and so does the film-version of Vonnegut’s From Time To Timbuktu. I know there’s some others, but I just can’t think of 'em. I think Bogart romps-through a movie-theater during Huston’s Across The Pacific, as a 30’s Japanese-comedy is playing… The Blob scares teens away from a vampire-movie, etc.

That’s awesome!