Film Inquirys

(John Welles) #1

Any movie that is non-Spagetti Western, ask about here!

Is there a film that you saw long ago but can’t remember the name, or do you want to find out more about a certain film? If you do, ask here!

I’ll start the ball rolling with this: Has anyone here seen “The Mask of Dimitrios” (1944), starring Peter Lorre, Sydney Greenstreet and Zachary Scott. I recently found the novel it was based on, and I wondered if anyone had seen it, and if so, how good it was. Thank you.

(scherpschutter) #2

You anglophones start to puzzle me more and more

In recent times I’ve been confronted repeatedly with plurals on -ys:

one inquiry, two (or more) inquirys,

while I have always learned (rather than learnt): one inquiry, two (or more) inquiries

Dis I miss something?

(Stanton) #3

Learned is ok as is learnt, as is speeded as is sped. (Recent discussion brought it to light)

(scherpschutter) #4

I know, but what about inquirys etc. ?

Until recently I had never seen this, and now I noticed it several times within a few days. Is it something popular among young people?

(Stanton) #5

Firefox spellcheck hates inquirys.

(korano) #6

John, I’ve recently seen Mask of Dimitrios. I liked it. Check YouTube. Specifically the channel of HankQuinlan

(Phil H) #7

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:4, topic:1946”]I know, but what about inquirys etc. ?

Until recently I had never seen this, and now I noticed it several times within a few days. Is it something popular among young people?[/quote]

It should be inquiries Scherp. But I’m glad to see our language still causes you some confusion. It makes it all seem worthwhile somehow.

(John Welles) #8

Blast! I can’t believe I miss-spelt a word from my own language! Is there a way of changing a topic’s title?

(scherpschutter) #9

Sure it’s not Langwitch ?

(Starblack) #10

Ouch.

(Dillinger) #11

In German the plural of inquiry would be inquirys.

Nevertheless (wether possoble or not) please don’t change the topic title, otherwise we would have to delete the whole thread!!!

(ENNIOO) #12

There has not been much discussion about any film(s) yet in the thread so why not delete and start again.

(scherpschutter) #13

Good idea !

(I...I...Idiot) #14

[quote=“Dillinger, post:11, topic:1946”]In German the plural of inquiry would be inquirys.

Nevertheless (wether possoble or not) please don’t change the topic title, otherwise we would have to delete the whole thread!!![/quote]
many a tear will be shed for that :-\

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:2, topic:1946”]You anglophones start to puzzle me more and more

In recent times I’ve been confronted repeatedly with plurals on -ys:

one inquiry, two (or more) inquirys,

while I have always learned (rather than learnt): one inquiry, two (or more) inquiries

Dis I miss something?[/quote]

off topic banter alert

x2

(John Welles) #15

I would but I can’t figure out how to delete the whole thread. I can only get rid of my posts and not the actual thread. Help please?