Female Characters in Spaghetti Westerns

Silver. I hope she didn’t read my stupid comment.

Perhaps a little strange that we don’t have any more female members. SW films should appeal, as they have quite a lot of strong female characters.By the way, is this one of the things that sets them apart from American westerns?

Not really.

Many Spags skip female characters, others have them only in secondary roles not that different from US westerns, and you also find some strong women in US westerns too.
Only in Spags more often the hero rides away without the girl.

Westerns were always a men’s genre (basically), and the SW surely was very keen to be very, very “manly” in that respect.

1 Like

I will not be the judge of that, as I haven’t seen many American westerns. But my impression is that there is a difference. In a spag the female protagonist is a professional or promiscuous woman rather than a farmer’s loving wife, she can take care of herself and exact her own revenge rather than being a damsel in distress, and she ends up dead more often than she is rescued by the hero. But, as I said, I might be wrong about that.

Not wrong, but there were already some older westerns with strong women, some who shoot and fight.

1 Like