Favourite non-Leone Civil War related SWs

Scherpschutter has already shed some light on this in several of his reviews. At least why civil war related SWs were so popular in Italy.

But there are also a lot of US westerns dealing with the civil war or its aftermath. More than you maybe think.

I’d be very grateful if perhaps you could point me in the direction of shershutter’s articles that relate to this matter. I’m rather intrigued.

Read some of his reviews of the civil war related SWs mentioned above. Like One Silver Dollar, Cowards Don’t Pray or maybe I crudeli. Or ask Scherp …

Now titles are listed in chronological order.

This is indeed good news! I’m greatly interested to know this: what percentage of Koch DVDs keeps the original Italian credits?

Nearly all if they are taken from an Italian master. But some are taken from French (Ognuno per se) or English (Il mercenario) masters. some of these few may also have not Italian audio.

And some (like Hate thy Neighbour) were prepared with at least a German title (rest of the credits were still in Italian), but that was done by the Italian distributor, who also had paid for the German dub.

So I would say (without checking) with a few exceptions nearly all have the original credits.

OK, thanks.

Maybe this’ll help:

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Spaghetti_Westerns_and_Politics

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Spaghetti_Westerns_and_Politics,_part_2

Thanks very much.

Here are the Civil War related SWs I like best

1. Django
  2. Lo voglio morto/I Want Him Dead
  3. Per 100.000 dollari t’ammazzo/Vengeance Is Mine
  4. Quei disperati che puzzano di sudore e di morte/A Bullet for Sandoval
  5. I giorni della violenza/Days of Violence
  6. Per pochi dollari ancora/Fort Yuma Gold
  7. Keoma
  8. Django il bastardo/The Stranger’s Gundown
  9. Un dollaro bucato/One Silver Dollar
  10. I vigliacchi non pregano/Cowards Don’t Pray
  11. California
  12. Professionisti per un massacro/Professionals for a Massacre
  13. I crudeli/The Hellbenders
  14. Il momento di uccidere/The Moment to Kill
  15. Il ritorno di Ringo/The Return of Ringo
  16. El Desperado/The Dirty Outlaws

The “pursuers” are Il prezzo del potere/The Price of Power, Quel caldo maledetto giorno di fuoco/Gatling Gun, Quella sporca storia nel West/Johnny Hamlet, Una pistola per cento bare/A Gun for One Hundred Graves and Il suo nome gridava vendetta/A Name That Cried Revenge.

Among the 36 I’ve seen till now in my opinion the worst are Il tredicesimo è sempre Giuda/Thirteenth Is a Judas, Dinamite Jim and Lo chiamavano Verità/They Call Him Veritas, a sort of comedy with an unexpected good idea towards the end and a few scenes taken from Fernando Cicero’s Professionals for a Massacre.

I’ve seen only about 10 from the list in the first post, but this is for me one of the most interesting themes in SWs (so I guess I’ll go digging into that list). From what I’ve seen I think that the aftermath of Civil War, not the War itself, was more often used as a theme. This can be easily interpreted as comment on Italian situation and not just Italian, but the stories can be applied on many European post-war countries (like say Yugoslavia/Croatia), and this is precisely why these SWs appeal to me.

In some the (post-)War theme is just loosely used in the background, in some it is more in the center of the focus. For example, Return of the Ringo is more Greek tragedy than it is comment on Civil or WWII war. Post-war theme is explored more deeply in One Silver Dollar, which was for me best part of the otherwise silly movie.

My favorite among these is Cowards don’t pray, aftermath of the war is here THE theme of the movie, and many aspects of it are interestingly explored (PTSD, rebuilding of society, law and order vs outlaw guerrilla, etc.)

Those were very good articles dealing with politics. Thanks for the links!

The order would go something like this , but its a real close call between the first two, the hellbenders just edging California.

1.The Hellbenders
2. California
3…The Dirty outlaws
4. The Tramplers
5. Kill and Pray
6. Machine Gun Killers
7. Fort Yuma Gold
8. Price of Power
9 .Kill them All and Come Back Alone
10. Return of Ringo