Favorite Spaghetti CHARACTER actors

I looked through the various threads and saw a thread for “Top 10 Spaghetti Actors” but not one devoted to character actors. A number of character actors have their own individual threads but I don’t see a general one.

Here’s my top 10 (only roughly in order)

1 Benito Stefanelli
2 Nello Pazzafini
3 Giovanni Cianfriglia
4 Piero Lulli
5 Ivano Staccioli
6 Luigi Pistili
7 Bruno Corrazari
8 Aldo Sambrell
9 Luciano Rossi
10 Frederico Boido

I did not include such quasi-character actors as Klaus Kinski & Frank Wolff (both of whom would have been at the top of the list) because they seem to me to be something more than character actors. Others may disagree.

A good list RF to which I would have to add Jose Manuel Martin, Paco Sanz and Victor Israel for starters. These guys all added spice to anything they appeared in for my money.

Nello Pazzafini
Frederico Boido
Jose Manuel Martin
Romano Puppo
Raf Baldassarre
Al Muloch
Gianni Rizzo(!)

And Lorenzo Robledo too?

It is hard to pick just 10. I could easily have added more to make a top 20. (many of whom ION BRITTON has also listed above!)

[quote=“Romaine Fielding, post:4, topic:1457”]And Lorenzo Robledo too?

It is hard to pick just 10. I could easily have added more to make a top 20. (many of whom ION BRITTON has also listed above!)[/quote]

Of Course! Lorenzo has to be in there. How did I forget him :-[
Raf Baldassarre and Gianni Rizzo would also make my list (well done Ion Britton) and I guess we’d have to add Robert Hundar, Franco Ressel, Aldo Berti and Livio Lorenzon. Damn, it’s getting to be a long list. But these ‘faces’ are some of the main reasons I love italian films of this era. Their like great comfort food.

Oh this is a toughie. There are so many. I’m sure to miss some, but off the top of my head:

Jose “Silvanito” Calvo
George Wang
Jose Bodalo
Antonio Casas
Luis Induni
Donal O’Brien
Franco Pesce
Pedro Sanchez
Roberto Dell’Acqua
Manuel “Morning Glory” Muniz

In no particular order

Fredericko Boido
Ugo Fangaregi
Donald O’Brien
Wayde Preston
Jose Torres
Woody Strode (?)
Leo Anchoriz
Simon Arriaga
Raf Baldassare
Roberto Camardiel

[quote=“Col. Douglas Mortimer, post:6, topic:1457”]Oh this is a toughie. There are so many. I’m sure to miss some, but off the top of my head:

Jose “Silvanito” Calvo
George Wang
Jose Bodalo
Antonio Casas
Luis Induni
Donal O’Brien
Franco Pesce
Pedro Sanchez
Roberto Dell’Acqua
Manuel “Morning Glory” Muniz[/quote]

Is Roberto Dell’Acqua the same as Alberto Dell’Acqua?

I was looking at the two MacGregor movies last night. He had different pseudonym in each. Albert Waterman (how appropriate!) in Seven Guns and Cole Kitosh in Seven Women.
He reminds me of Ricky Schroder

There are too many to mention. I do always enjoy awaiting the moment Federico Boido gets shot though. Don’t get me wrong, I like him, especially in Django kills softly. But this guy always gets it, be it very soon or not much later. In Shanghai Joe he got shot to pieces :o
Alberto dell’Acqua has to be one of the worst spaghetti western actors though.

Because of his pretty boy aspects or terrible acting? I pretty much agree.

Don’t know if he’s pretty, but to me he has an annoying face and ditto presentation. His thing might work in a comedy… Oh no, wait. I’ve seen a comedy that he’s in… Several, as a matter of fact. This guy is just a lousy actor and annoying, comparable to Jack Black nowadays. He is prettier than Jack Black though, I’ll give him that. But then again, everybody on this forum is probably prettier than Jack Black.

ONe that has to be mentioned is Gian Maria Volonte. If he’s no character SW actos I don’t know who…

Not a big Tenacious D fan I take it :slight_smile:

GMV could certainly do character but he was a lead actor and I think RF means supporting or bit part actors rather than those who got top billing. At least that was my assumption based on his comments re Kinski and Wolff.

Hmm… maybe then RF should have called the thread supporting character actors…

I kind of assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that ALL character actors play supporting roles. To me that is just part of the definition of character actor. I do not think of GMV as character actor. But as I said in my intial post: “others may disagree”…

There are certainly grey areas.

We are talking here about a quite different use of the word character actor.

In Germany a character actor is the one who wins the prices and is hailed by the critics for his deep character studies (and is damned as wooden by SD).

My favorites are Piero Lulli, Jose Manuel Martin, Lorenzo Robledo, Antonio Molino Rojo. Although Lulli could be called a lead actor, most of his roles were as character supporting roles, and I don’t think he ever received star billing.

That’s right. A friend of mine made me listen to a whole cd of them. I didn’t laugh once.

I think they are brothers. Roberto is the meaner, tougher, cooler looking one. Thats why I like him. Alberto is the dufus that plays Franco Nero’s kid brother in Texas Adios if I’m not mistaken