FAVORITE DIRECTOR (American western)

Of course it’s old Sam! The biggest son of a b*tch and the finest director! (Cheyenne would say)

• Let’s go.
  • Why not?

There are some true greats in this list and it’s very difficult to select just one. John Ford was the father of the modern western, Peckinpah took the violence in American westerns to another level and Eastwood was the only true talent keeping the genre alive for the best part of twenty years.

But my choice is Anthony Mann. A great director who made great use of the western iconography and imagery to tell gripping psychological stories. I also think Leone and other italian western directors were influenced by his framing and composition. if you haven’t seen any of his westerns give them a try.

Amigos, there are 4 (!) misspellings by the directors named above. Somebody should change it.

More great american directors of westerns:

Delmer Daves
William A. Wellman
King Vidor
Don Siegel
Arthur Penn

Yes yes yes!
Delmer Daves was terrific, Wellman only made a couple of westerns but they were excellent and Arthur Penn’s ‘Little Big Man’ is a classic.
While we are at it you could include Edward Dmytryk although I think maybe the list is already a bit long!

Anyone who likes westerns should watch Mann’s winchester 73, a great movie thats very underappreciated

I’d have to say Rio Bravo is my favorite American Western. Brilliant. I haven’t seen one Howard Hawks that was bad. With that being said I chose Hawks. But Peckinpah and John Ford are right there too. The Wild Bunch and My Darling Clementine are both great films.

I’d like to see some Anthony Mann films though, I’ve only seen El Cid (which isn’t a western).

I got a laserdisc of DUEL IN THE SUN today for £3 from the notting hill exchange shop, never seen it before, any good?

So, in the day, just out of curiosity, how much do you reckon this Laserdisc will have cost new?

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:28, topic:217”]So, in the day, just out of curiosity, how much do you reckon this Laserdisc will have cost new?[/quote]probably £20-£25 but you can pick alot of lasers up cheap nowdays, for instance MASSACRE TIME used to go for around the £400 mark (madness i know) and i got one a while back for about £20 :slight_smile:

Interesting stuff, and how things change!

Duel in the Sun is a bit of a melodrama really. You know, good son, bad son, steamy temptress. But It’s well worth £3. Gregory Peck is always good value in my opinion and Jennifer Jones looks good. Sounds like a bargain mate.

I voted for John Ford as he’s my favorite Director period. I would rank Pekinpah a very close second and I’m a big fan of Budd Boetticher’s work with Randolph Scott.

Voted for CLINT EASTWOOD.

Eastwood learnt alot from American and Italian westerns, and this is clearly shown in the westerns he has directed.

Voted for Anthony Mann, though Peckinpah is probably the most brilliant one (but everybody already says so …)
I would have voted Raoul Walsh, if you would’ve added his name to the list: the most neglected western director in history, one of Ford’s, Peckinpah’s and Eastwood’s favourites, and influential on the SW as well (I’m very sure that Leone, Corbucci, Sollima and Petroni saw his movies, especcially Colorado Territory, Pursued and Gun Fury).
Ford and Boetticher are OK. Don’t like Hawks, nor Eastwood the DIRECTOR. Hathaway is second rate.

I voted for Budd Boetticher----just because I figured most folks would be voting for Sam Peckinpah or John Ford.

:slight_smile:

I rank Boetticher right alongside Peckinpah, personally. They are both tough to beat.
I put Howard Hawks just directly behind them.
Then, Mann.

[quote=“Chris_Casey, post:35, topic:217”]I voted for Budd Boetticher----just because I figured most folks would be voting for Sam Peckinpah or John Ford.

:slight_smile:

I rank Boetticher right alongside Peckinpah, personally. They are both tough to beat.
I put Howard Hawks just directly behind them.
Then, Mann.[/quote]

Same idea, to promote a different director.
But I like Boetticher a lot too. He got the best out of actors like Akins, Boone, Roberts and (young) Marvin, Coburn and Silva, only to mention a few. My personal favourite is COMANCHE STATION, Scott has never been better and even the sentimental ending works marvelloussly. Recently saw The Tall T, on German telivision and dubbed, but still great. Saw his other films some years ago and have copies on VHS of them; I think there was one with an ending that reminded me of Fistfull of Dollars, was it DECISION AT SUNDOWN?

Nothing wrong with Pekinpah or Ford, but like Clint they’re so popular, so talked-about, that others don’t always get the attention they deserve. Walsh, Mann and Boetticher are certainly among them.

Can’t see why people are so fond of Hawks, though Red River is a good film. I do not like the trio BRAVO/DORADO/LOBO: they’re well-made of course, but I find them shallow and lacking emotional depth (and I’m not a John Wayne basher like many Europeans, so he is not the reason for disliking the films).

Ah, meanwhile most of the europeans like John Wayne, even the intellectuals.

Let me be the first to mention Sam Newfield (IMDB: Sam Newfield - IMDb) Very good, early western director who knew what to with tiny budgets. Ahead of his time in my opinion.

The “Poll” is MISSING some essential GREAT USA WESTERN Directors

BURT KENNEDY Return Of The Seven 66 War Wagon 67 Hannie Caulder 71

ANDREW V. MCLAGLEN Bandolero 68 Rare Breed 66 Chisum 70 Train Robbers 73

TED POST Hang Em High 68 Yuma 71 Bravos 72

CHARLES MARQUIS WARREN Gunsmoke and many TV/Films Westerns

GORDON DOUGLAS Rio Conchos 64 Stagecoach 66 Chuka 67

ROY ROWLAND Gun Glory 57 Many Rivers to Cross 55 Gunfighters of Casa 66

HERSHEL DAUGHERTY Numerous TV Westerns and Films.

I think that the MOST TALENTED directors (except for Hathaway, Ford, Boetticher
Mann and Eastwood)

are the ONES actually LEFT OUT of the poll and mentioned above.

“Sam Peckinpah” NO THANKS I do NOT rate any of his films above very mild/average. :’(

I VOTED For HENRY HATHAWAY but was amazed at who was included and who left out.

HENRY HATHAWAY 1898-1985 Veteran Prolific American Film Director

From Hell To Texas 58 North To Alaska 60 Sons Of Katie Elder 65 LAST SAFARI 67
FIVE CARD STUD 68 Airport 70 many many more.

Thats my analysis on the Western Directors.

:’(

I guess the original poster felt it neccesary to restrict the options in the poll to a few well known / obvious names. (which is fair enough)
I would still have voted for Anthony Mann no matter what, but if I could have added any more options I would have plumped for Delmer Daves and William Wellman (for The Oxbow Incident and Yellow Sky alone).