Elios or Cave Studios?

Been there it is bloody gorgeous but my hat got blown off and I had to chase it like a gazelle on steroids!!

My mistake, thanks Aldo! :smiley:! A site that no longer exists, A Fistful of Westerns, started by a fan in the UK, showed some pictures of a trip he had taken to I think maybe was the Leone village. For some reason I thought he said that it was the only town left, so I’m glad to be wrong. Nice to know three are left to visit and have some nostalgia moments.

1 Like

The towns are a little disappointing, as there’s a lot of careless restoration which loses much of the Carlo Simi vision of how these places might look.

They’re still a must see … but it’s the desert and canyons which are the real stars of the area … absolutely breath taking :slight_smile:

1 Like

That was Gordon Mitchell and me in 1971 at his western village in Cave near Rome. In the background you can see that the cottages were solidly built with stone. Not a purely scenic village. Gordon had lost 30 kilos by this time, hence the face so wrinkled temporarily. Muscle men were out of fashion in those days. Gordon adapted perfectly.

11 Likes

Very cool photo! And welcome to the site.

1 Like

not Cave!!!

At that time, the films shot in Cave were offered including English dubbing for $400,000. That could not go well for long :slight_smile:

1 Like

Clemens can you remember where exactly cave was located? I am thinking of also contacting the municipal administration of Canale Monterano to find our :slight_smile:

Can we publish the photo in the SWDb? Any idea who took it?

I thought I saw the location on a map- will check my laptop to see.

1 Like

Q: If a movie lists a location “manziana” (the village next to CAnale Monterano), does that mean Mitchell’s CAve studio or does Manziana cover a variety of locations

Edit: to answer my own question, there are various locations up there, e.g. this one .Westerns...All'Italiana!: Spaghetti Western Locations ~ La Casaccia

Cave location

Lots of locations near Manziana - Mignone River & Valley, Rota, Cupellara etc.

1 Like

Do you have a Google maps link or is this just where Cave (the town) is

Here is the close up of the photo that I got on the internet, for the Cave studio location…

1 Like