El Puro / La taglia è tua … l’uomo l’ammazzo io (Edoardo Mulargia, 1969)

[quote=“stanton, post:31, topic:795”]Hmm … Scherp also mentioned GBU, but I would say NO. Fistful of Dollars without any doubt! The whistling thing is much more prominent in Leone’s first.

Are you guys sure? Which scenes in GBU are you reminded of?[/quote]

I wasn’t thinking so much of the whistling as far as GBU is concerned but the 5 notes on the flute (or whatever instrument it is). You know the bit I mean, it’s the first 5 notes of the theme. The whistling, I agree, is more like FOD.

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:40, topic:795”]That’s what I meant. It was 'similarity to … MNiN
and ‘homage’ to EP. I just didnt make it clear.
MNiN pays the homage.[/quote]

Ah. That would be a first! Someone paying homage to Mulargia!?! But I like the idea and the reference is fair enough. The chair thing is very similar.

This is the first site with a relevant reference to you film, Rev:

The Italian text says:

<< El Puro, that other title of the movie, referring to the protagonist’s name, is considered to be the only buddhist western and also the only one in which two cowboys kiss eachother on the mouth. It’s the story of a group of bounty killers who hunt down a repenting criminal, that is El Puro. The most bizarre aspect of the movie is the behaviour of two of the protagonists (and we’re not talking about sexual behaviour, believe me) Mark Fiorini and Robert Woods, two new age persons who wanted to give the film a completely original edge, and got the approval of Mulargia >>

Note: Fiorini is apparently the original Italian name of one of the actors using a pseudonym for the occasion. I guess it’s Gypsy.

(Another reference still to come)

And this is a second one:

http://www.davinotti.com/index.php?f=6047

The Italian text:

<< Surprise! A generous fumbler like Mulargia (an expert in ultra-cheap westerns) created a surprising film with the notion of the anti-hero (one of the spaghetti western’s characteristics) on a level only equalled by IL GRANDE SILENZIO. Due to limitations in budget and scope it’s not a masterpiece, but to this film, haunted by a very dark sense of violence and an atmosphere of desperation, it’s cheapness works surprisingly refreshing. A film to discover (and to release uncensored …). It recently got a cult status in the gay scene for a certain sequence … >>

Note: I’ve never heard of the word ‘stakanovista’ (maybe SD has, he was raised in Rome) and it’s not in my dictionary, I used my imagination for the translation.

I was able to watch it finally, thanks to Reverend. It left me with mixed feelings. I liked some things in this movie - Wood’s performance, Alessandroni GBU-rip-off score, that works very well, some intense secenes [the beating of Rosalba Neri is a gripping one] and the ending. But on the other hand there were some truly awkward scenes [‘i’m gonna get you Puro!’ - oh my, that was just plain stupid :stuck_out_tongue: ], some strange plot fragments [what was the purpose of this sheriff masquerade at the beginning?] and i don’t think that the cheapness of the movie worked here [all the excuses they used to justify the lack of people in towns].
Overall i would give it 6 out of 10. [or 11.8 out of 20 if you prefer ;D :smiley: ::slight_smile: ].

But the film doesn’t look that cheap, compared to most of the other SWs or directly compared to Mulargias other SWs. The only really cheap looking scene is the stagecoach scene at the beginning which was shot in a gravel pit and uses one shot twice.

El puro makes imo a better use of landscape and town settings than in SWs usual. Bruckner writes that some scenes were shot in spain, but if so Mulargia hadn’t used the more typical spain landscapes.

And if you don’t like or understand or “feel” the 1st scenes, than it of course would be problematic to like the rest of the film. Same goes for OuTW.

Hey Alk0,
as I have read this again, I have noticed that the last sentence of my previous post culd be misunderstood by you.

The word “understand” wasn’t meant in an intellectual way. So no disrespect meant.

I was talking about an understanding of the film in the way of feeling it.

This is a matter of anybody tastes, not an intellectual thing.
We get or get not in several films for more or less unknown reasons (well we could reflect about them, but I’m meanwhile not sure anymore if this is necessary or rewarding).

[quote=“stanton, post:47, topic:795”]Hey Alk0,
as I have read this again, I have noticed that the last sentence of my previous post culd be misunderstood by you.

The word “understand” wasn’t meant in an intellectual way. So no disrespect meant.

I was talking about an understanding of the film in the way of feeling it.

This is a matter of anybody tastes, not an intellectual thing.
We get or get not in several films for more or less unknown reasons (well we could reflect about them, but I’m meanwhile not sure anymore if this is necessary or rewarding).[/quote]
No problem, Stanton, i never took it as an offence :slight_smile:

El puro was one of the SWs shown at Venice last year.

Here’s something insightful about creation/development and “what’s it all about” of the film.

www.cinemaretro.com/index.php?/archives/368-VENICE-FILM-FESTIVAL-JOHN-EXSHAWS-REPORT-10.html

And indeed it is! I love this anecdotal stuff that fleshes out and enhances the enjoyment of the film itself. Sometimes your ‘idols have feet of clay’ but these guys do not disappoint. If I’d never heard this stuff then El Puro remains a great film, but it’s great to get the characters story behind the story. Thanks Brother stanton. After reading this it’s somehow risen a notch higher in my estimation.

And now we knew why he goes barefoot to the final duel.

But the original idea about Wood’s clothing for this scene wasn’t also that bad! Ha, ha

[quote=“stanton, post:49, topic:795”]El puro was one of the SWs shown at Venice last year.

Here’s something insightful about creation/development and “what’s it all about” of the film.

www.cinemaretro.com/index.php?/archives/368-VENICE-FILM-FESTIVAL-JOHN-EXSHAWS-REPORT-10.html[/quote]

That is an interesting read and I saw John Exshaw in Venice at every film I attended. What a job that man has!!
After reading this article I can also confirm I saw Marco Fiorini there too. I didn’t recognise him at the time mind you as I had not then seen El Puro and it is the only Spaghetti he made as far as I know. But I attended the free concert given by Allessandroni and there was a guy sitting on the floor at the front (it was a very small venue and full to over capacity) who requested the theme to El Puro (twice). When I later watched the film I said to my wife that the guy who played Gypsy looked really familiar and I thought it was the fella I had seen in Venice. It now seems very likely it was indeed him.
As for Exshaw’s theory on the source of El Puro’s name though. He could well be right, but I thought it simply refered to the cigar he constantly has in his mouth. (El Puro in spanish = the Cigar)
Good article though and full of interesting insight from Woods and Fiorini.

I also thougt when I watched the film for the 1st time that El puro would mean “The Pure”.

Just watched this nice, little B-Western masterpiece !!! Anything I could say about the movie has already been said. I really enjoyed it. Just the kind of movie I like :slight_smile: !!!

Thanks to Ennio I was just able to watch this last weekend. To quote Bluntwolf: “Anything I could say about the movie has already been said”. Same here.
But I will say, like everyone else, I didn’t see the full-on kiss coming. But this scene (including the beating to death of Rosalba Neri) is the type of scene that MAKES a Spaghetti for me. These are the kinds of weirdnesses that I look for and enjoy.
Like George Hilton drowning a guy in a bucket of milk in A Bullet For Sandoval
or
the strange cowpokes/gladiators scene in La Resa Dei Conti.

No problem :).

(your inbox is full by the way so you will have to delete a few messages, as I cannot send you one).

Thanks bud. It is empty now.

[quote=“Phil H, post:52, topic:795”]That is an interesting read and I saw John Exshaw in Venice at every film I attended. What a job that man has!!
After reading this article I can also confirm I saw Marco Fiorini there too. I didn’t recognise him at the time mind you as I had not then seen El Puro and it is the only Spaghetti he made as far as I know. But I attended the free concert given by Allessandroni and there was a guy sitting on the floor at the front (it was a very small venue and full to over capacity) who requested the theme to El Puro (twice). When I later watched the film I said to my wife that the guy who played Gypsy looked really familiar and I thought it was the fella I had seen in Venice. It now seems very likely it was indeed him.
As for Exshaw’s theory on the source of El Puro’s name though. He could well be right, but I thought it simply refered to the cigar he constantly has in his mouth. (El Puro in spanish = the Cigar)
Good article though and full of interesting insight from Woods and Fiorini.[/quote]

Firstly, I am very jealous that you got to go to VENICE and then, if that wasn’t good enough, you got to watch Spaghettis and meet some cool people.

Secondly,
Doesn’t Puro mean Pure in Spanish? It is a brand of cigar too? Why did you think it equals Cigar? Just curious.

Cheers :).

[quote=“Romaine Fielding, post:57, topic:795”]Firstly, I am very jealous that you got to go to VENICE and then, if that wasn’t good enough, you got to watch Spaghettis and meet some cool people.

Secondly,
Doesn’t Puro mean Pure in Spanish? It is a brand of cigar too? Why did you think it equals Cigar? Just curious.[/quote]

No, it’s not a brand it’s just another word for cigar. Cigarro and Puro are both used as terms for Cigar. Of course, it means pure too and either reading for the title of the film could be accepted. In fact, maybe both at the same time. It kind of fits.

I’m really pleased that you enjoyed it Bro’ Bluntwolf.
Sharing views and OPINIONS about OUR films makes this forum something special and I’m proud to have been involved in following Brother Stanton’s lead on this thread and being part of that. I think E.P. is a magnificent film. It’s got a bit more profile and a bigger audience amongst the people that matter and that’s been highlighted by the comments made by US.
There’s a lot of negativity floating about tonight, and I know all about it :P, but don’t lose sight of the fact that there is some seriously positive shit as well that makes it all worthwhile! Light up that cigar and Sermon over!!