Dumb Questions from a Noob

1. Are there a lot of SW direct by Italians that also did horror like Mario Bava, Lucio Fulci, and Ruggero Deodato? And has there ever been a horror SW?

2. So roughly 500 SW were made. What percentage of them are any good? 10%? How many have been lost? Is there a nice checklist to look at somewhere?

3. Did Fred Williamson ever star in a decent picture?

4. What do you think of the Man With No Name comic books?

There’ll be more.

[quote=“Bat_Lash, post:1, topic:2059”]1. Are there a lot of SW direct by Italians that also did horror like Mario Bava, Lucio Fulci, and Ruggero Deodato? And has there ever been a horror SW?

1. So roughly 500 SW were made. What percentage of them are any good? 10%? How many have been lost? Is there a nice checklist to look at somewhere?

2. Did Fred Williamson ever star in a decent picture?

3. What do you think of the Man With No Name comic books?

There’ll be more.[/quote]

1. Fulci made 3, Bava 1, Deodato 1, Antonio Margheriti made 6. Quite many directors made both genres. Cut Throats Nine is good example of sw horror, And God said to Cain is another. There’s not so many true horror westerns but many films have little bit of gothic horror atmosphere.

2. That’s a personal matter and impossible to answer. checklist? how about the database?

3. I dunno

4. Haven’t read them myself.

1. Bava made 3, one of them uncredited. All 3 are ordinary stuff.

2. I have seen so far about 75 good SWs, which I would recommend mostly to every film buff. This would be about 15 % of the whole bunch. And there are 75 or maybe 100 more entertaining SWs which I would recommend at least to every SW fan.

But tastes are pretty different as discussions here in the forum prove, and some films which I would call shit are appreciated by others, while it’s also the other way round with some other films.

The first 60 in our forum’s top 20 and the alternative top 20 are pretty good for starters. Of course some non-starters are still amongst them, imo.

1. Fred Williamson was at least in one SW by Antonio Margheriti : Take a Hard Ride (1975)

An ok actioner with no horror influence.

[quote=“Stanton, post:3, topic:2059”]1. Bava made 3, one of them uncredited. All 3 are ordinary stuff.[/quote]oh, that’s true. What was I thinking?

1. Yep although Westerns wasn’t really Bava’s forte. Try checking their imdb profiles and look under “by genre” and you will see what westerns these directors have done. A good “horror” western to check out is Stranger’s Gundown aka Django the Bastard. Other noted horror directors that have done westerns are Amando De Ossorio, Umberto Lenzi, Giorgio Ferroni, Mario Caiano.

2. Its a matter of taste. I personally have liked nearly half of the Spaghetti Westerns that I’ve seen, although I do make special effort to avoid the lousy ones or ones that I’m not interested in.

3. Fred Williamson starred in quite a few good pictures but none of them Spaghetti Westerns unfortunately. Boss Nigger (pardon the language) is a good blaxploitation western.

4. Haven’t read them. I’m just waiting for the action figures to come out, if they ever do.

Everyone else has answered your questions quite well, I think.
But, I wanted to weigh in on question #4.

I hate those comics, personally. I don’t think they did a good job of keeping the laconic nature of Eastwood’s character.
They actually had panels of “No Name” running to grab a rifle! “No Name” would have never run, he would never have been in a situation where he would have needed to. And they have him using two guns like Josey Wales, also.
I might be overly picky, but that is how I feel.
Just my opinion.

Vigilante with Williamson in is one I like.

1. Most Euro Cult directors made at least one Spaghetti.

2. Like Bill said, a personal matter but I personally like most of them. Depends on how many you have seen, that’s why you shouldn’t start with the bad ones.

3. Yeah, Take A Hard Ride is ok.

4. Don’t have any.

You can post questions and stuff here:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,2261.0.html