Don’t Wait, Django … Shoot! / Non aspettare Django, spara (Edoardo Mulargia, 1967)

You’ll be thrilled.
Mulargia’s masterpiece. But I think all of his Western quite well.
I had recently the opportunity to see Vayas con Dios, gringo. Absolutely recommended.
And Don’t Wait, Django … Shoot! is also one of those small films that know to please. Only problem is the German Synchro. But this is a problem for many SW. :wink:

A mixed bag for me, this one.
Two Rassimov’s for the price of one has to be a good thing. I’m a big fan of both but, sadly, Rada is underused and Ivan was always more effective in Gialli and Crime films in my opinion despite being uber cool in anything. Mussolini made a good villain but was introduced far too late. The movie is three quarters of an hour in before he turns up and meanwhile we have had a succession of other, bad guys who are introduced as important figures and then knocked off as if they were bit parts. It is only after about an hour that it seems to gel at all and then it is almost over. The script is almost non existent and the story would fit on the back of a fag packet.
All in all the most memorable part about it was the fabulous open air house. So much sunlight in it the actors have to squint indoors and ridiculous shadows falling all over the place. Haven’t seen a set like this used outside of a silent film and even they used to diffuse the natural light better. Awful, yet strangely pleasurable.
Still, not one I could recommend with a clear conscience to anyone but a die hard fan.

Yeah the score is pretty powerful …I love the scene where Ivan Rassimov walks out of the saloon into a duel and the main theme kicks in.

The town drunk and the grave digger are pretty funny characters in this, in fact the drunk deserves a Goldstar. In fact all the characters are a good mix, and could not ask for better really. Like mentioned previously the music is effective. Super simple plot, but it works as loads of Spaghetti style in this one. Stylish and very enjoyable western.

Sorry, ENNIOO, but I completely disagree. To me it’s a definitely highly overrated IW. Ivan plays his anti-hero without any charisma – the whole story is developing completely free of suspense, drama or surprise. The main protagonists remain static (except Spalla) and the often used lengthy close-ups are a failed attempt to imitate Leone IMO. The sidekicks are more or less annoying. Taken all in all this movie desperately seeks to be stylish and uber cool by copying genre examples but is littered with shortcomings. Puhh – any (unintended) positive aspects? Yes, Rada :stuck_out_tongue: and the roofless farmhouse ;D.

Thats fine. Thats one of the many things that make this forum great, all the different opinions :slight_smile: .

Retro Vision is supposed to be releasing this on DVD.

Just watch it for the second time. I still find it confusing and on this run I noticed some mistakes that @scherpschutter mention, the house without a roof, how do I miss that on the first run?! Really stupid mistake. Also I pretty sure that in the beginning of the movie there are some scenes where you can noticed the electricity poles in the background. But overall I like it as it is, a simple spaghetti with lots of killing, decent sets. Although it could have been better if Ivan Rassimov had tried to do some less taciturn acting.

1 Like

the home video rights seem to be on the market again (Germany), let’s hope someone jumps at the opportunity

1 Like

This must’ve disappeared into thin air just like the Requiem for a Gringo blu-ray they announced.

Hmm, in this western people just walk around and give tough looks for most of the time. :smiley: Musolino is cool sitting in his chair and makes a good villain but does really every mute scene have to take so long? Typical Mulargia. Yes he had good eye for western but everything feels so bloody slow. If you suffered through El Puro you will be also suffering watching this. :smiley: Well there are not many dialogues and if someone talks he just describes what you see on the screen so the plus is you can watch it without sound, which might be even preferable since the score really gets on nerves. The story itself is poor, revenge solved in 20 minutes and then you get “fight for a bag of stolen money” plot. Why should I even care about that at that point? Rassimov is playing Eastwood’s Joe but why? It goes strongly against the revenge motive and family guy character. Nothing would have really happened if there was not the revenge at all… Atmosphere is 100% spaghetti. I’d recommend this one only for those who don’t mind lack of story and want to enjoy a sw just for its settings and atmosphere.

IMDb gives it just 4.6 and the opinions in this thread are mixed with only some clearly positive. I agree that it is enjoyable with very good music nearly all of the time. The mood is in my taste and I don’t mind the low key script.
I think Ivan Rassimov was good as the silent first shooting antihero, while his sister Rada didn’t do much more than look awfully sorry and shouted Django.
The Youtube version I watched of Don’t Wait, Django … Shoot had a surprisingly fine image quality, but unfortunately there seems to be no official DVD or Bluray to buy with English audio (which are my bying criteria).
I think a 6/10 is a fair rating at this point, even if this SW looks a bit cheap.

1 Like

I still rate it 6/10 after having watched my “new” DVD-R with not so high image quality that emphazises a cheap impression, but with an OK mood which Felice Di Stefano’s music should get most of the credit for.
The story is simple and lacks depth so it should not be rated higher IMO.

Don’t Wait, Django … Shoot! plays in the same league as Cjamango (Edoardo Mulargia), Vengeance For Vengeance/Revenge for Revenge (Mario Colucci), and Shotgun/Vengeance Is My Forgiveness (Roberto Mauri) which are other simple revenge SWs that I recently have bought watchable DVD-Rs of. All of these are designated a weak 6/10 rating (Cjamango maybe a middle 6/10), but are still fairly entertaining to watch a few times times.

Don’t Wait, Django… Shoot! has been updated to the new layout (3.0). Let us know if you can add anything: pictures, posters, trivia, facts, figures, links, etc…

1 Like

@Alleluja do you know how good the japanese BluRay is?

@Admin Unfortunately I don’t have this Blu-Ray. Because this title has been broadcast many times on TV and is available on Amazon Prime Video in Japan, as the same as “Il pistolero dell’Ave Maria”.

Since more than a year ago I increased my rating to 7/10.

The Japanese Bluray is good except for a tiny detail i.e. it looks like a very little thread at the top of the screen in three of the scenes/camera angles.
In one of the cases it as a little bigger. These disturbances probably occurs far less than a minute.

Anyhow, I think the style is a bit cartoon/comic book like. and with a nice mood and atmosphere. It might be only Cemetery Without Crosses (8/10) that is comparable in these respects of the around 150 SWs I have watched but of course with the latter’s far more serious style, mood and perfect execution.

The title is really perfect, since Ivan Rassimov’s antihero always shoots first without waiting for the opponents to draw :slight_smile: Four different gangs of outlaws of which Django, also with some help, guns down several or all in three of them and the leader of the forth :slight_smile: .
Vincenzo Musolino (also writer and producer) as one of gang leaders is a funny type, maybe looking more like a mafia boss/gangster but I like his appearance here as well as in Mulargia’s Go With God Gringo which shares several actors with this one.

45 Long Days Of Vengeance (Florestano Vancini ) music Armando Trovajoli/Ennio Morricone 1967
46 Two Faces Of The Dollar (Roberto Bianchi Montero) music Giosy Capuano, Mario Capuano 1967
47 Don’t Wait Django… Shoot! (Edoardo Mulargia) music Felice Di Stefano 1967
48 Go With God, Gringo (Edoardo Mulargia) music Felice Di Stefano 1966
49 Black Killer (Carlo Croccolo) music Daniele Patucchi 1971