Djurado (Giovanni Narzisi, 1966)

I have not found a topic for the film, so I open one time. :wink:

Database Page: Djurado - The Spaghetti Western Database

Weak movie with a very cheap look.
Montgomery Clark is like a mixture of Giuliano Gemma and George Ardisson. The music fits unfortunately not in a SW. In addition, the film is unbalanced to me. There are a lot harder scenes, but also many light-hearted action.

Certainly there are worse movies in this genre. And surely one must remember the low budget. But overall not my kind of SW.

I have seen a Fandub. Source is an Italian television recording. With selectable English subtitles. The picture quality is ok. Unfortunately, there are some image jumps. But on the whole acceptable. Thanks to another SW fan. :wink:

1 Like

I had never heard of this one

Djurado or Jurado?

The name Montgomery was quite popular in those days: Montgomery Wood, Montgomery Ford, Montgomery Clark ā€¦

Makes you wonder what this fellah might have been doing in the sixtiesā€¦

[quote=ā€œscherpschutter, post:2, topic:2504ā€]I had never heard of this one

Djurado or Jurado?

The name Montgomery was quite popular in those days: Montgomery Wood, Montgomery Ford, Montgomery Clark ā€¦[/quote]

Djurado (Montgomery Clark) :wink:

Never heard of the guy either
According to IMDB he didnā€™t have a prosperous career, only a handful of movies, sometimes listed as the actor who played ā€˜the piano playerā€™ (usually not a major role in a movie)

Its performance is not outstanding. So an exceptional acting talent he did not. And for a SW he has a more youthful face. No stubble, no dirty face ā€¦ as usual.

Average one in all departments, and the lead does have a bit of a baby style face.

1 Like

Hello friends, this film is a little gem! Hart, some funny and good actors! A cool Pistolero, the whole enlivened by looking like a gravedigger who drinks like beer too! And Luis Induni as a villain!
You should absolutely get it!

[quote=ā€œSWreggie, post:8, topic:2504ā€]Hello friends, this film is a little gem! Hart, some funny and good actors! A cool Pistolero, the whole enlivened by looking like a gravedigger who drinks like beer too! And Luis Induni as a villain!
You should absolutely get it![/quote]

A little gem ? Really ? I think not really.
I think the actors are an big problem.
But nice to see you here. :wink:

1 Like

I think so, was very surprisedā€¦
Nice to see you too!

I hope the people unterstand my bad Scool English :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Many here do not speak perfect English.
Stay cool, my English is probably worse than yours. :wink:

The Strangerā€™s first entry here pretty much sums up my feelings about this one. Clark comes across as a cheap Gemma substitute but lacks Bello Giulianoā€™s class. I couldnā€™t help feeling that this was one of those movies where the producers secured the cash before they actually had a script or any real idea of what they would make.

Some whacky character names didnā€™t help either although they did at least raise a smile. Kangaroo? Tucan? Golden Poker? ;D

I saw this ā€˜hidden gemā€™ recently. I felt like a prospector who thought heā€™d found a gold nugget, but when he rubbed off the dirt it turned out to be a turd.

A charmless hero, the most trite of scripts, anonymous direction, sub-standard action, lousy actingā€¦

I quite liked the theme tune, but after it was played countless times, even that began to grate.

For those interested an English dub has turned up on YouTube

1 Like

Original film length 2400 meters (approximately 88 minutes).

October 8, 1966

thanks Carlos ! I was going to post that linkā€¦ this version is much better than any of the tvrip :slight_smile:

Is that the release date? Database: August 20, 1966 (= censura).

No, the advertisement date only referring to movie theaters in Torino (Turin).

1 Like

Phew ā€¦ watched it yesterday and must say that the very idea of showing Djurado to a prima visione cinema audience was by far the most entertaining aspect.

I just have watched Djurado on the Youtube link above. The opening music was somewhat discouraging with mid 1960ā€™s type C class pop music English style but not mercybeat, indicating a slightly lighthearted mood, which at least partly also was the case. Most of the action took place in the Cinecitta western town with its Mexican village extension.

In spite of the short running time 1h 15 min it felt longer to me, so there was plenty of action all the time. The ā€œcuteā€ youngster as the antihero was not bad but emphasised the lighthearted mood. Some wild shooting and saloon fights were despendable. The story was rather thin also, so I think a 5/10 rating might be fair.