Death Rides Along / Con lui cavalca la morte (Giuseppe Vari, 1967)

And not the first one today ā€¦
(Iā€™m ill, which means I have some spare time)

Yep ā€¦

A question Scherp:

Any more information about this one being Variā€™s 2nd western?

It was at least his 4th which was released (11.11.). But Poker With Pistols (7.7.) and The Last Killer (10.8.) were released only a few months earlier.

And A Hole in the Forehead (25.5.68) was maybe also shot in 1967.

Good question.

Giusti lists it as Variā€™s second, and Vari reportedly said he felt relieved he was able to work without Garrone looking over his shoulder
This doesnā€™t of course prove anything. Giusti might be wrong and I have not been able to find out why there was no script. And these actors he had in mind who didnā€™t end up in the movie? Apparently something went wrong. Maybe he started this project before the others fom '67, and the works were postponed for some reason, I donā€™t know. Itā€™s not a famous movie, which means itā€™s hard to find much info on it.

It was then maybe simply released with delay. Just like Johnny Oro which was released after Django.

Yes, very nice review (as ever). I watched this one recently and your review actually answered a question i was going to put to the German members of the board (the bit to do with the family once they caught up with the hero againā€¦i was wondering why they seemed keen to keep him with them second time around). Overall i found the main story very easy to follow and it was a pleasant if unspectacular watch. I was slightly disappoined, given my fondness for Iā€™ll Sell My Skin Dearly, that Mike Marshall wasnā€™t playing another off kilter character, or even a villain. And about the title, i had always known of it as Death Rides Along (as in along side) anywayā€¦and to me it makes more sense that way.

Liked the opening credits. Forgot Hundar was in this. How different he looks with a full mop of hair / wig. Chuckled when I heard those Fidani style music tracks. The banter between Marshall and the older woman he was travelling with most of the time kept me watching. When Marshall was at a run down house not to far into the film and a shootout takes place, there were a few horses of the bad guys. And soon after there were none. Maybe I blinked or the horses went off for a snack somewhere. Simple story with no surprises which kept me entertained.

Headshots of the cast added to the Credit page here.

1 Like

I think you mean Luciano Doria and not Sergio in the uncredited actors section. I donā€™t have this movie (for Anica Paola Natale is one of the saloon girls).

1 Like

This movieā€™s page in the database has been updated to the new layout. Please let us know of any feedback, weā€™re especially keen on facts and trivia, links, reviews and pictures.