Dead Men Ride / Anda muchacho, spara! (Aldo Florio, 1971)

I think so, only that now I donā€™t remember the details of the plot without rewatching it.

No doubt she was the daughter of the old man, and (I think) Emiliano was sent to jail by Fajardo and friends with false accusations. And Testi takes over Emilianoā€™s heritage of revenge.

Ah, perhaps thatā€™s what the court bits were: people testifying (falsely) against Emiliano. I guess it was the way all the flashbacks were chopped together that threw me off course. Maybe I was looking for more than whatā€™s really there, too.

very good SW!!
the music, the plot, the characters, the villain
eduardo fajardo looks very evil close to major jackson of django

what shit is this???

Philā€™s new thread made me remember I wanted to ask thisā€¦ Where does the title Dead Men Ride come from? Has it been released on VHS with that title or even in cinemas? Iā€™m quite sure there are some bootlegs under this title, but are these from actual VHS sources with original title Dead Men Ride or does that title appear only on the bootleg covers (or added to the film itself digitally)?

What can I say, I prefer the At the End of the Rainbow title :stuck_out_tongue: and that is actually the only one I have ever seen being used on ratings websites or trailers. BBFC has it under the title ā€˜At the End of the Rainbowā€™ and I was certain so did the Finnish Board of Film Classification but they have no English title for it nowā€¦
IMDB says Rainbow is the UK title and Dead Men Ride English titleā€¦ and here I thought ā€˜At the end of the Rainbowā€™ is English. :wink:

Here in the forum DMR is the more common one. AtEotR is pretty rare, and I donā€™t connect it with the film.

But I donā€™t like both of the titles and prefer to use the original title.

(not to mention the German one which votes for Kneel Down and Eat Dust. Tasty, probably intended for gourmets)

Thatā€™s spam, sartana, ignore it and donā€™t copy it, it helps the spammer.

Yeah, it is the most common one probably everywhere, which is kinda funny if the film was never actually called that in cinemas/VHS/DVD and someone just put the title at IMDB and then everyone started using it (because who would use a UK one if there is a USA one available [even though it says, at least now, only English]).
:stuck_out_tongue:

i found this SW in a store few months ago, and probably red a review, but forgot about it at that moment,
so after i watched it i was pleasantly surprised.
good leone rip-off scenes (a very fine that scene Winchester vs. three guys, or shotgun vs. barber)
catchy music and Fabio and Fajardo also didnĀ“t spoil the fun,
but there was something interesting in directorial approach, because if someone
told me before what is it all about, maybe i would find that story boring.

Not bad, not great, middle point for me. Nicolaiā€™s soundtrack might one of his finest, really gorgeous stuff. Testi is of course a natural born leading actor for this kind of material. I do agree that the plot feels a bit everywhere, and the man with no name references are a bit too much (the wrist band, the poncho) Not a must, but wonā€™t hurt giving it a try.

From reading some past comments I was expecting this one hard to follow. On the contrary for me, easy to follow with excellent use of flashback scenes. One of those films where people communicate alot of important decisions with a nod of the head or wink of the eye. Film has a strong story. Fabio was perfect for the role, and his best western lead role. Excellent film all round, and one of the best of the 70ā€™s I have viewed so far.

This one has found its way on my Top 20. Beats everything that came after it for me. Firmly directed, well acted and with a great score. On the other hand there is a feeling weā€™ve seen (and heard) all of this before. But this was hardly first time I got that deja vu, and it was rarely executed this well, so 3 and a half out of 5 peeping tom villains.

This one looks like it could have been made three or four years earlier, which is quite nice. The one thing that I really like about Dead Men Ride is the soundtrack, Bruno Nicolai does amazing job here and even though his soundtrack reminds me of Ennio Morriconeā€™s style I still think he did a fantastic job. In my opinion the plot starts moving on just a bit too slowly, but in the end I felt satisfied with this SW (the soundtrack helped a lot). 3,5 stars out of 5 from me.

1 Like

I go for 5 stars. Watched it twice this week, on first view I was not so convinced. There were lot great scenes but plot made me confused at times. On 2nd screening story made lot more sense. And music is superb ;D

Iā€™ve seen it only once, years ago (my thoughts about it are on page one of this thread). I never went back to it so far because I was all but impressed by this outing, but some comments make me want to watch it again.

Hi. I like this movie a lot. Iā€™m confused only about the girl Jessica. Was she Emilianoā€™s (Serato) daughter or Pedroā€™s (Calvo)? In the flashback she (is it her?) shouts at Emiliano ā€œPapaā€, so it seems she must be his daughter. But then she acts like she was Pedroā€™s daughter. Maybe Pedro was close Emilianoā€™s friend and was something like uncle to her?

Cool new article by @Djangoisme

2 Likes

Nice spaghetti western. Fantastic soundtrack. Such a shame the English dub isnā€™t available.

3 Likes

I have know watched it maybe 5 or 6 times since I bought obviously a bootleg copy but with very good image quality, and I think it was last time I upgraded it to a 8/10 and ranked number 9 on my Top 45. On 10th place is Requiem For a Gringo which is slighly less moody and a bit more simple but with similar style.
Anda Muchacho Sparaā€™s best effort is the fantastic music by Bruno Nicolai which extremely well emphasizes the heavy dark mood and the main theme is complex but beautiful. For me the slightly complicated plot is no issue and you understand more in the second watching. A really high quality SW although it borrows certain themes from earlier movies in this genre (such as the more lighthearted Long Days Of Vengeance 6/10 also with fantastic music), but does so with style. Nice locations also near Hoyo de Manzanares etc. I wonder if the ā€œpalaceā€ of the Fajardo character is the same as in Requiem For A Gringo ? I havenā€™t tried to look after and compare them.

2 Likes

Havenā€™t quite finished my personal top 20 yet, but this movie will be included. Found it pretty damn powerful, in terms of story, direction, acting, all enhanced by interesting locations, good-enough sets, and some inspired cinematography. I have the excellent Koch disc, with no English audio, but good subtitles.The lead, Fabio Testi, is an actor Iā€™ve always liked, as I do here. Some invigorating topless shots, of a beautiful woman Iā€™d not before encountered, and ā€œedgyā€ sex, are a plus in my book - (yes, I have my vices.). A fine western in my opinion, Reminded me not a whit of FOD, though having read the comments of others, I understand the comparisons.

3 Likes