Dead Aim / Arde baby, arde (José Bolaños, 1975)

[/URL]

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[url]http://img847.imageshack.us/i/arde.jpg/[/url]

Strangely compelling, even despite the crummy fullscreen vhs rip I saw it on. For such a (relatively) recent Spaghetti Western, why no decent DVD?

Would like to see a better print of this one myself.

The German VHS has at least 1,78:1 widescreen.

This is available from Amazon.com as a DVD-R from Synergy under the title “Dead Aim.” I haven’t seen it or own it so I can’t comment on the quality or aspect.

I see that amazon offers several DVDs-- all probably the same print packaged differently.

Yep, the episodic stucture didn’t work that good. I liked the beginning but lost interest with the introduction of the new characters. There’s some nice morbid scenes but mostly i didn’t like the film that much. 2/5

Is it worth a watch?
It’s strange but I’ve never heard of this one before.

Enjoy this one myself, like the odd feel the film has most of the time.

It’s missing vivaciousness. I get the impression that Bolanos wasn’t thinking about entertaining a western-loving audience. -Which heightened the film’s flaws. The rifles didn’t fit the Civil War’s time-frame. The war, and the desert-setting can only be Texas. Gravediggers didn’t roam back 'n forth across Texas to make money. Families buried their own. Towns paid the local undertaker. And nobody’s gonna lob a stick of TNT into an armored-wagon full of gold as the first option. It’s the desert. Men are locked in a metal box. Use the dynamite to spook the horses. Later, as the sun does the work, wait the men out by relaxing with a canteen of cool water.

… It’s a freakin’ movie. Really though.

The East West Entertainment LLC release is better than the version I have in the multi-pack but it’s still a low quality transfer. I fell asleep watching this one. Not because I wasn’t interested in the film itself. I was just tired. I’m going to try and watch it again though. :slight_smile:

Anyone know if the El Paso release is superior to the East West Entertainment release?

Just viewed this one again via the U.K pre cert vhs this time around. Fullscreen but a fairly sharp print for vhs. Still as good as I remembered, with a plot that keeps you watching for certain. Always forget the ending to this, which is not a bad thing, but the ending always surprises me !

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve watched this since my last post in this thread, back in 2009, but this is an old favorite.

Does anyone happen to have any leads on a better print? I doubt it, but figured I’d ask

I think my original avatar on this board was actually from this film

Edit, just saw @stanton’s reply… anyone have this VHS?

Big fan of this one myself.

1 Like

If anyone has or can get the German VHS, I’d buy it for a reasonable price

what a crazy cover on that vhs ! riding a dang snake

Yes great cover, getting in the mood for watching this one now again ha, ha.

is this the VHS you have/had @ENNIOO?

Sleeve Sypnosis:
A Brutal and Savage Western!
If ever a man was misnamed, it was ‘Johnny’, orphaned in a bloody gunfight and left for dead in a scorching desert. Johnny survived by becoming as tough as the world he lived in, with Death as his constant companion.

Yes thats the one I have. It took me a while to pick that one up for a reasonable price.

I bet.

I had never seen the alternate title of Lucky Johnny before