Day of the Outlaw (André De Toth, 1959)

One of the great underrated westerns, Andre De Toth’s brilliant movie, “Day of the Outlaw” has excellent, moody performences from Robert Ryan and Burl Ives but what reall stands out for me in the this film is Russell Harlan’s photography of the cold, snowy backdrop which the movie takes place in. Sweeping shots of unspoilt snow enhances the movie and certainly inspired Sergio Corbucci’s “The Big Silence”. 5/5.

I’ve heard about this film, seems good.

Yes, it is. Fans of Spaghetti Westerns would like it very much for the obviouse reasons.

Yes, this is a fine film. Robert Ryan and Burl Ives - neither of whom is entirely good or bad - butting against each other has to be one of the greatest confrontations in any classic American Western, and the scenery/photography is stunning.

Yep. It is a good one and one of my favorites!

Great atmosphere and great scenes in the snow
You feel pity for the horses though, hard to imagine none of them was hurt

Very bizarre dancing scene, I still wonder what exactly was the point of that scene
In my opinion the film seems even closer to Quanto costa morire than to The Great Silence

I share that opinion!

I think that’s a terrific scene - it really adds an edge to an already tense situation by thrusting the women into harm’s way. In addition, Burl Ives has to make sure his sex-starved men don’t violate his order not to, well, violate, the captive women.

And yes, this film was clearly an inspiration (if not the inspiration) for Quanto costa morire.

What is Quanto costa morire? Is it another name for The Big Silence?

Nope, that’s Cost of Dying.
Another snow western (well actually only snow slush) with Andrea Giordana.

The story is just like in Day of the Outlaw about a snowbound town held captive by a gang of outlaws who can’t cross a pass. But it’s not a remake.
TGS was maybe inspired by the costumes and some images of Day of the Outlaw

[quote=“Stanton, post:10, topic:2058”]Nope, that’s Cost of Dying.
Another snow western (well actually only snow slush) with Andrea Giordana.

The story is just like in Day of the Outlaw about a snowbound town held captive by a gang of outlaws who can’t cross a pass. But it’s not a remake.
TGS was maybe inspired by the costumes and some images of Day of the Outlaw[/quote]
Thank you, it sounds interesting. I’ll have to look it up on IMDb.

I watched Day of the Outlaw recently and I liked the cold winter atmosphere. Haven’t seen Quanta costa morire so far but beside of the snow scenery I didn’t see any similarities to The Great Silence. :wink:

Only atmosphere and especially the costumes, not the story.

After the revival of this thread I decided to watch my Optimum Classic DVD today. Not much to add, it’s a really great one with many intense moments, great dialogue and a breathtaking, bleak and unforgiving scenery that will crush your soul. Westerns and generally movies in snowy landscapes rarely fail to impress me and I knew I was gonna like it, but in the end it simply exceeded my expectations. Haven’t seen much westerns from that decade, so it must be the best one so far. It has similarities with TGS only as far as some costumes/hats and some scenes with the horses in the snow are concerned. But as a whole it’s a completely different story, as it has already been said. I gave it 5 stars and I have the feeling that I will see it again quite soon.

Wow, I just saw this and was totally overwhelmed by it. It will go straight to my top10 or top5 favorite US westerns. It’s actually weird that the ending was very similar to what I expected The Great Silence’s ending to be like when my friend told me about the film for the first time almost 20 years ago.