Compañeros / Vamos a matar, compañeros (Sergio Corbucci, 1970)

When did that happen?

Both were released twice by Koch.
The NTSC transfer from Run Man Run was in the Sollima box. The older Quien sabe? was one of the earliest Koch SW DVDs.

Ah ok, glad I have the new Quien Sabe and the BU of Run Man Run then.

What the hell is John’s nationality supposed to be?

I get that he’s supposed to sound a little stoned, but there’s also this weird accent, like a failed attempt at Scottish or something . . .

Ah, my all-time favorite movie. I must say, this was the first one I saw that was created by the genius Corbucci.

The way he conceived the idea of a cold blooded and mercenary-like (once more) Yodlaf Peterson, and joined him with a “what the hell am I doing in the middle of revolution” Vasco, is just brilliant. I must say, I much more liked Vasco than the guy in “Mercenary”. I mean, the only thing I remembered about previous dude (not his name tho) is: “Chopin? Is he from Chihauha?”. Vasco, actually, killed 8 men for not knowing what the hell was a camera, photograph, also being a naive peasant revolutionary, only looking for girls, gold (it seems so only). He is actually much more - a man who seeks love, finds the truth and is ready to die for his newly-discovered ideals, who is ready to sacrifice his life for the life of his friend.

Also, I liked the Palance’s performance. It creeped me out at one point, when he said how did the bird save him… Uhh, you gotta be pretty sick to think of something like that :stuck_out_tongue:

This movie is still my all time favorite, it is far above all Leone’s movies, only tightly followed by “Giu la testa” - “Duck, you sucker!” - “Fistful of dynamite”, or, how we in Serbia call it - “Za saku dinamita”.

Glad to see another fan!

Just found this posted on a fourm and thought you all might want to have a sing along:

Levantando en aire los sombreros
Lifting our hats up in the air
Vamos a matar, vamos a matar, compañeros
Let’s go kill, let’s go kill, comrades

Pintaremos de rojo sol y cielos
We’ll paint the sun and sky in red

Hay que ganar muriendo, pistoleros
We have to win dying, gunmen

Hay que morir venciendo, guerrilleros
We have to die in triumph, guerrilleros

Luchando con el hambre, sin dineros
Fighting with hunger, without money

Estudiantes, rebeldes, bandoleros
Students, rebels, bandits

Hermanos somos, reyes y obreros
We are brothers, kings and workmen

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Vamos_a_matar,_Compañeros!_Title_Song

If the link doesn’t work, try this one, click on (under pic) Title song lyrics):

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/COMPAÑEROS

Ooops :o , guess I should have checked the database first!

“Luchando con el hambre, sin dineros
Fighting with hunger, without money”

I was thinking, it would make more sense, if it was “Luchando contra el hambre sin dinero.” Fighting against hunger without money. Thats how I and my spanish speaking friends heard it when we tried to make sense of the lyrics. :slight_smile:

What a great film! I just continued watching SW’s with this baby. First I have to say how nicely the main characters were played, I got to give credit for Thomas Milian, Franco Nero and Jack Palance, great job! 8) The plot itself was good enough for me, nothing to complain about, there was good humour too. The theme song got me hooked to this film, first when I heard that song, I thought that I GOT to watch this one as soon as possible. And this movie lived up to my expectations and left me with a good feeling, and that’s always sign of a enjoyable movie.

"Your friend is right, compañero. When you’re about to die, don’t ask so many questions. "

4,5 / 5 stars.

[quote=“volonte, post:170, topic:68”]“Luchando con el hambre, sin dineros
Fighting with hunger, without money”

I was thinking, it would make more sense, if it was “Luchando contra el hambre sin dinero.” Fighting against hunger without money. Thats how I and my spanish speaking friends heard it when we tried to make sense of the lyrics. :)[/quote]

I guess the meaning is “Fighting with a hungry belly” (not being able to buy food)

But it’s a good remark. I’ll check tomorrow if the text really is "luchando con"
I’m not very good in Spanish, so maybe I got it wrong

I does not make sense

It goes this way

"Luchando con el hambre"
Figthing with the hunger like if they were fighting agaisnt hunger, and not with hunger

The correct phrase should be
"Luchando con hambre, sin dinero"

But maybe Julio ALberto from beautiful Sevilla, could tell us for sure, after all I’m Portuguese :smiley:

If it’s “el hambre”, then it would be the generic concept of hunger, so it would be “struggling against hunger” (i.e. poverty and all the rest), if it’s just “hambre”, without the article, then it means “fighting on an empty stomach”.

Or Nzoog Wahrifheheen from the also beautiful Barcelona ;D
In this things of phrase construction Portuguse and Spanish are very alike, just have to be carefull with the Oficina ;D

Er…What does “oficina” mean for you guys? In Spain, it just means “bureau”.

To return to the lyrics, the preposition “con” makes it ambiguous. “Contra” would be clearer, but perhaps it wouldn’t fit the music! Still, the Spanish language has been dealt with more roughly in other SWs, most notably by the Italian who dubbed Ignazio Spalla in the Sabata movies.

Oficina it’s a garage or car repair shop for us, so when we say “Vamos a oficina” means “let’s go to the garage”, not "let’s go to the office"
A few years ago I worked for Mapfre, so I spend a lot of time working in Madrid (couldn’t get use to, no sea :D) and every time someone say to go to the office, I always think of car repair first ;D

That’s other reason I prefer subs, at least if we understand the language we can see the faults on the translation, and sometimes their big ones

[quote=“El Topo, post:173, topic:68”]I does not make sense

It goes this way

“Luchando con el hambre”
Figthing with the hunger like if they were fighting agaisnt hunger, and not with hunger

The correct phrase should be
“Luchando con hambre, sin dinero”

But maybe Julio ALberto from beautiful Sevilla, could tell us for sure, after all I’m Portuguese :D[/quote]

Actually it’s the same in English - “I fought with him” can mean “I fought against him” or “I fought on the same side as him” depending on the context.

I just found a couple of threads on luchar con / luchar contra here:

Latin romanic languages rule ;D ;D ;D ;D

“Dineros” is a funny one too. Strictly it’s incorrect like “monies/moneys” in English because it is an uncountable noun like “milk, sugar etc”, but for some reason it’s ok. Plus the singular wouldn’t rhyme anymore.