Challenge of the McKennas / Un dólar y una tumba / La sfida dei MacKenna (León Klimovsky, 1970)

Oh, I don’t know ::slight_smile:

Perhaps it makes it beneficial to the enjoyment of the film, if not the film itself. :wink:

Good IW. Compared to other films of this genre, I think there are a lot of communication. The story has many interesting twists and with Ireland and Woods good actors.

However, I believe that Edoardo Mulargia and Woods were not completely uninvolved in the implementation. For a director like Leon Klimovsky, the film is almost too good. ???

And whether the services of Mulargia was referring only to the story and screen play? I think not. :wink:
Whatever! I liked it. :slight_smile:

I don’t think Mulargia was that involved in the directing. This film is very Klimovskish. Good film however :).

Are their different copies of this film around?

Mine was made from a worn-out and very grainy VHS with colors so much faded that it often looks like a b/w copy.

The runtime is slightly over 91 min in Pal, which means it is a 95 min version, one min short of our database runtime. But there is surely a lot missing when Ireland returns with Camardiel and Woods to the grave of the hanged guy at 14’35 min. It misses the ending of the ranch scene and then jump cuts to the middle of the conflict between Ireland and the other 2.

I have the same copy as you.

There is a widescreen (do not know what ratio) dutch vhs with english audio that Cine City has, but not paying his silly prices. Running time is listed as 93 mins. At least we know there is another version out there.

Anyone here who has this widescreen version?

Don’t remember very well but I have a Swedish VHS which I think is widescreen.

I’ve just looked at mine. It’s colours are good but it’s obviously a vhs rip and has a permanent line at the bottom of the screen. Checking it to the end it ran to just over 95 mins. It’s english with no subs…doesn’t look totally fullscreen but i wouldn’t really call it wide either. (Have to admit all this ratio stuff confuses me though).

On second thoughts, it probably is fullscreen. The screencap isn’t great, had to do it on the main computer which isn’t totally compatible with my Power DVD (damn Vista!)

[url]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/Lusiphur/PDVD_001-3.jpg[/url]

That’s much, much better than my copy. The runtime is interesting. If it is a Pal runtime it is 4 min longer than mine.

The screenshot is in 1,33:1, which is fullscreen.
If it is not fullscreen it should have at least small black bars if you watch it on an old TV. But it should have big black bars, cause it is a Techniscope film in 2,35:1.

This ratio stuff sure is confusing.

[quote=“Stanton, post:31, topic:1554”]That’s much, much better than my copy. The runtime is interesting. If it is a Pal runtime it is 4 min longer than mine.

The screenshot is in 1,33:1, which is fullscreen.
If it is not fullscreen it should have at least small black bars if you watch it on an old TV. But it should have big black bars, cause it is a Techniscope film in 2,35:1.[/quote]

Well, unfortunately i can’t tell you if it was from a pal or ntsc source. The disc itself works on my region 1 and region 2 player. Can always send you a copy and you can find out for yourself :slight_smile:

Managed to get a widescreen print so viewed this one again. Ireland is on good form as a former priest who killed his woman and lover, and has now become a drifter. Interesting story which keeps you watching, and worth seeking out if you have not viewed before.

What’s the runtime of the widescreen version?

And how’s the picture quality compared to Silver’s screenshot?

94 mins and 45 seconds is running time. Would have been just over 95mins if included the video logo start at the beginning.

Few screens:

Looks quite good for a VHS copy. Silver’s has maybe stronger colors.

Runtime is 95:10 min. Nevertheless most likely the same version.

Yes Silver’s copy does look like it has stronger colours. Solved this by increasing the colour a little on my T.V.

Got this one a few days ago. Need to clean my vcr first though, before I can watch any more tapes.

I know of a Spanish VHS of this, but nothing of the quality or ratio.