Cemetery Without Crosses / Une corde, un colt … (Robert Hossein, 1969)

[quote=“Bad Lieutenant, post:160, topic:403”]I gave this one a rewatch, as it had been a couple of years since I had last seen it.

Pretty much what I thought of it the first time. An ok film that moves slowly and has not much to offer, except that it looks alright. The plot isn´t grand. Neither is the acting. Hossein isn´t much of a pistolero. The theme song is the best thing about this film. Not a bad film, but there are dozens of spaghettis at this level in my opinion. 6/10[/quote]

That’s exactly how I felt

[quote=“Bad Lieutenant, post:160, topic:403”]I gave this one a rewatch, as it had been a couple of years since I had last seen it.

Pretty much what I thought of it the first time. An ok film that moves slowly and has not much to offer, except that it looks alright. The plot isn´t grand. Neither is the acting. Hossein isn´t much of a pistolero. The theme song is the best thing about this film. Not a bad film, but there are dozens of spaghettis at this level in my opinion. 6/10[/quote]

In my opinion there are not many better SW. :slight_smile:
I think it has much to offer. Slow passages which bear the pictures of the story.
9 /10.

Watched it again for the 3rd time last night. Some scenes are simply mesmerising, the score is magnificent while the dialogue is kept at a minimum level which is good for the film. The only thing that I still think that it doesn’t work very well is the funeral of Ben by the Rogers, on the contrary the rape scene works so much better as a way of revenge.
Although it is not the type of SW I like the most, it’s an excellent and moody film that deserves a place in the list with the greatest SW (maybe not top-10 material but surely among the best 30)

A tip from me:

If you have a chance, check out the movie in its original French version. Very bad is the German Synchro. But the Italian or the English Synchro is not as good as the French. In the original Version very little is spoken. Great ! :wink:

Even with the German DVD differences are seen. Unfortunately could not the full text can be reconstructed. Even in the improved version is spoken more than in the frz. Synchro

[quote=“The Stranger, post:164, topic:403”]A tip from me:

If you have a chance, check out the movie in its original French version. Very bad is the German Synchro. But the Italian or the English Synchro is not as good as the French. In the original Version very little is spoken. Great ! :wink:

Even with the German DVD differences are seen. Unfortunately could not the full text can be reconstructed. Even in the improved version is spoken more than in the frz. Synchro[/quote]

But not that much. Watched it again last night and I like this one more and more. It’s not a typical SW, not that much action and less shooting, but nevertheless absolutely marvelous in its own way.

Does anybody know if Argento was really not involved in this movie as Hossein mentions in the interview? There are additional parts of speaking in the Italian version - maybe Argento added them?

Argento claims he was involved (even remembering strange idiosyncracies of Hosseins personality), while Hossein says he wasn’t. It doesn’t feel like there’s that much animosity between them though.

Korano, do you have a reference for that?

In the CWC interview with Hossein, he claims that Argento had absolutley no involvement. He sounded surprised, not angry or anything. He even said Argento doesn’t speak a word of French.

In an Western a’Italiana interview with Argento, he recalled working on the script with Hossein who, according to him was always saying that errors that Argento noticed were all right and that it would be fine. Also that he was a bit of a playboy.

Just found what I wrote on the SLWB about this:

I just watched this excellent 30 minute interview again last night. Hossein says that he might perhaps have given a copy of the finished script to Argento because he was also Leone's friend, but then noted that Argento doesn't understand French at all so would not have been able to read it in any case. Hossein also pointed out that the correct French credits (with the black and white rather than Italian sepia background of the riders) does not even mention Argento's name.

Which “Westerns all’italiana” is the Argento interview in?

Check this out!

Scott Walker - The Rope And The Colt

Necro - Thugcore Cowboy

[quote=“Novecento, post:169, topic:403”]Just found what I wrote on the SLWB about this:

Which “Westerns all’italiana” is the Argento interview in?[/quote]

Korano - can you help? I also want to know about this…

Five stars. I think this is a somewhat underrated movie.

I don’t know whether anyone will feel the same way, but there’s a part where Hossien opens a music box which I really liked. I’m a sucker for musical watches etc. a la For A Few Dollars More, but then they didn’t do anything with the music and the scene ended up being a bit pointless. I thought that was a shame.

Story/Script
This it’s one of the classic spags that I’ve not seen, and I sure waste a lot of time not seeing it, really a great film. In comparison with classical western, SW always one great advantage, while the classical ones had to deal with their own history and myths, which depending on directors (not everyone it’s a Houston or a Ford) it’s always something of a burden, SW being mostly done by Europeans directors didn’t have those restrains, they could create their own world and myths. The west was surely nothing like it’s presented in Une Cord , Un Colt, but that’s the beauty of things.
This film it’s all about atmosphere and style, a revenge story taken to the limits of despair, not just desperate nonsensical hate, not pure desire for revenge, but only despair and sadness, it couldn’t be more simply, and the dialogues in a film that depends so much on image, are well placed, and expose the story that we didn’t know or could only guessed, everything it’s said in the go-betweens, until the final climax. Oh the man has a name in this one, Manuel.

Actors
All the secondary cast was SW accustomed and go along in style, being habitués to this type of films, of course we have to talk of Hossein and Mercier, who had the most demanding roles, and while Hossein find the right perfect expression for the all film, Mercier gives a very good performance not usual for feminine actress in SW, she didn’t look nothing at all like the girl from the Angelique series I used to see (a role that typecast her for the entire carrier). Robert anyway always was a discreet but reliable actor.

Director/Cinematography
I Know his work as an actor seen many film with him, but not so much familiarized with his director’s work, remember seeing somewhere in the past a film that only later I found out he directed Le vampire de Dusseldorf which in a way was kind of a homage film like this one . He talks about Leone that the film it’s a tribute to him, and even if Once upon in the West (I hate those abbreviations, words were made to written and to be spoken) comes to mind, the great influence in my opinion are the film noir the French Police movies (French Noir sounds awkward) , that he use to act so often. The photography work all so quite good with some nice long shots, almost oppressing the viewer.

Conclusion
Very good SW with a unique feeling, if you want to pay a homage to Leone, you have to come out with something really good.
Real desperation, real sadness, brutal ending no future only the past and death, une corde un colt.
Have also to mention the soundtrack with a Scot Walker theme (or a Walker Brothers one), and the Spanish Guitar themes that tags along with film spirit, in a perfect communion.
Great SW, and above all great film.

Checked this today, and I’m glad that I finally did so because this really is a gem. Very underrated Spaghetti Western if you ask me, i love the score (theme song works nicely) and especially those amazing landscapes which are mesmerizing. I didn’t have very high expectations for this, but when I read that Sergio Leone actually did one scene for this movie, i just HAD TO get this and watch it. So all in all i was happily surprised after watching this. Also, acting is great in this one, i loved Michele Mercier’s character. This isn’t typical spaghetti western character, which is a thing that i personally appreciate, this brings more personality to the movie.

Solid movie, easily 4 or 4½ / 5 stars from me.

BTW: They are watching Cemetary Without Crosses in the movie “Cold Sweat” where Charles Bronson is playing the leading role. Check out the funny clip: Cemetery Without Crosses In Cold Sweat - YouTube

Interesting to see Mr. Bronson in that scene :slight_smile:

Anyone one now what language this poster/cover is in? I would love to have it on my wall.

I can’t copy the image so you’ll have to click on the link.
[url]http://www.icheckmovies.com/movie/une+corde+un+colt.../[/url]

[quote=“The Gringo, post:175, topic:403”]Anyone one now what language this poster/cover is in? I would love to have it on my wall.

I can’t copy the image so you’ll have to click on the link.
[url]http://www.icheckmovies.com/movie/une+corde+un+colt.../[/url][/quote]

That would be Italian I believe.
(that is the Cimitero senza croci one, right?)

[quote=“Phil H, post:176, topic:403”]That would be Italian I believe.
(that is the Cimitero senza croci one, right?)[/quote]

Oh my bad, I just realise it’s the same one that’s used on the database. It’s the Italian one alright, thanks Phil.

Anyone know where I could get one for my room? :stuck_out_tongue:

No - I’m afraid if I saw one I’d have to grab it myself - sorry.
(I do have a CWC poster - but its a photographic one - this one is lovely!)

Hossein's character is one of the best (spaghetti)western characters, he plays it in the usual "one look" way and there's not much told about his past but somehow it really works. His sad face and presence makes it clear that he has some tragic past.

Tastes differ… :slight_smile:

I agree with Sebastian, in my opinion Hossein is a little expressionless, most probably unfit for Western.

I think this fine and interesting movie lacks some charisma on the side of the bad guys too (and Ivano Staccioli is underutilized…).

good western, nothing else