Cemetery Without Crosses / Une corde, un colt … (Robert Hossein, 1969)

Yes but one man’s ridiculous is another’s marvelous. I personally really like both those titles. But then I don’t mind the odd [quote=“scherpschutter, post:76, topic:124”]
long days, ringos, djangos and dollars
[/quote] either :wink:

I do like ‘Cemetery Without Crosses’ as it sounds rather… ominous :slight_smile:

I Like Cemetery Without Crosses as well. Don’t know exactly why, but it sounds alright. Better than the French title, anyway.

Yeah, but he did not understand the title. He thinks a cemetery without crosses is just an empty plain, which is wrong.

But then, it is not a title which has anything to do with the film. Could have been used that way for every other Spag.

Really?

In the 2012 edition of Once Upon a Time in the Italian West: The Filmgoers’ Guide to Spaghetti Westerns, Hughes opines that Se sei vivo spara (“If You Live, Shoot!”) is “one the most ridiculous spaghetti-western titles ever – on a par with If Your Left Arm Offends, Cut It Off [Arrivano Django e Sartana … è la fine], Heads I Kill You, Tails You Die [Testa t’ammazzo, croce … sei morto. Mi chiamano Alleluja] and Cemetery Without Crosses (which is surely just an empty field).” He mentions … e per tetto un cielo di stelle in his book twice but doesn’t comment on the film’s title.

And?

That’s a ghost town, and not a cemetery. You see there a connection?

To my way of thinking a CWC should be interpreted as a place where the dead are unburied, so with the ending in mind the answer is yes…

I don’t think that this was intended.

And it is not a cemetery that way, cause that’s still a place where the dead are buried.

I like it too, and I think perhaps I know why. It spells a desolate place, without hope, death without any ceremonies, no grave for the living to go to. A strong SW title imo.

1 Like

I do too, although Hughes’ point is still pretty funny about it just basically being an empty field then.

Here I disagree, if only because the song then ties in with the title. Plus, there is some alliteration with the two C’s in French which sounds better than “The Rope and the Colt”. A nicer sound in English would be “The Cord and the Colt” but “cord” doesn’t have the same implications as “rope”.

I do not agree with your disagreeing :wink: I like A Rope and a Colt but I do not like Une Corde, Un Colt. in the first place I do not alliteration in a title and this one sounds too much like French arthouse movie titles like Un Soir, un Train (André Delvaux) and that’s probably what they had in mind, a sort of arthouse western movie

Not sure about the Italian title, translated as Cemetery Without Crosses. A cross is put on a grave is, among other things, a sign that those who stay behind won’t forget the buried person. In the movie there’s this line ‘Revenge never ends’: maybe the title refers to the idea that in the end those who want revenge will kill people without knowing who they exactly are. The empty field is then a complete blank: even memories are erased.

Hmmm… You make a good point!

Yes - I think I’ve always thought about it along those lines too. Everyone’s dead and no-one cares - it all comes down to pointlessness and futility

Does anyone know what the song used in the German trailer is? CEMETERY WITHOUT CROSSES - GERMAN TRAILER - YouTube

Cracking tune, BTW.

I love this movie as well. The soundtrack is riveting. Almost operatic. At least for that one movie Robert Hossein is the Orson Wells of the genre for directing and starring in it. My favorite scene is when he is sitting at the dinner table with the family and how hushed everyone is when he opens the jar. The first time I watched it I couldn’t believe how it turned out with everyone laughing at/with him at his surprise. You just didn’t see that in any other SW. The comraderie of the moment was very sweet.

You know it could be a bit of music specifically created for the trailer by a third party. It could also be some stock music created by the german distribution company. A third unlikely solution could be something that Andre Hossein created as a demo track, something kind of like the demo track for Preparati La Bara. Though we’ll probably never know seeing as the soundtrack is in a weird limbo state.

2 Likes

You know that scene was directed by Sergio Leone, right?

I had no idea Leone directed that scene. I have the Frayling book too but haven’t read it yet. I guess he mentions it there.

Actually the usually excellent Frayling makes a big mistake here. He suggest that Leone has a cameo as a hotel clerk; that role is actually played by Cris Huerta.

We discussed it several years back on this thread starting from here:

I don’t think there is mention of Leone directing this scene in Frayling’s book.