[Project] Cataloguing Featurettes 👁️‍🗨️

according to IMDb filmart produced this

Edit: it was on this disc Almost Human/BluRay - The Grindhouse Cinema Database

1 Like

there is one “Tomas Milian: Acting on Instinct (2013): the star revisits The Big Gundown and reveals some of his acting secrets;” which could be comprised of material filmed during the same interview?

Just found it on his website as you wrote that hehe:

Looks like IMDB has the credits wrong though.

Had this thought as well! But it looks like the years don’t match according to his website. I’ll watch it anyway!

Also looking through the DB (what a useful resource :wink:) for RMR DVDs and there is an interview with Donal O Brien! From a 2008 Italian DVD lol :expressionless:

Yes this all confirms what a worthwhile endeavor it is to really catalog and double check all these featurettes. Going through all my DVDs and BluRays piece by piece to confirm these things. Sometimes the extras information in the database is really shoddy…

In the Company of Compañeros
Included on : Compañeros Blue Underground BR (Dir: Gary Hertz)
Year : 2001
Time : 17 mins
Language : Morricone (Italian w/ Eng Sub) Nero (English) Milian (English)
Interview with : Ennio Morricone, Franco Nero & Tomas Milian [Wearing a grey woolly hat with some kind of brim. Milian hat Check #3 ]
Notes:
Both Nero and Milian speak fondly of Corbucci. Milian details the proper procedure to wearing a beret, depending on what characteristic you want to show. Says Nero would have wrinkles drawn on his face to look older earlier. Nero discusses preferring to play a foreigner in westerns rather than an American, and having a minor fight with Milian during the filming. Morricone talks about using a different style for Corbucci, in this case Gregorian, to differentiate it from his work with Leone.

Speaking of chopped up interviews… I’m wondering if the Sollima one from the Face to Face DVD is cut from the big 56 min documentary on the German Sollima boxset?

we need someone with both to have a look at these right now :slight_smile:

Cataloguing features is a lot of fun. Lets me revisit a lot of stuff on my shelf. The last few weeks have really seen a tremendous jump in accuracy of information in the SWDb, and that starts with knowing what interview is included on what release, etc.

3 Likes

Fulci of the Apocalypse
Included on: Four of the Apocalypse Blue Underground/Anchor Bay DVD (Dir: Gary Hertz)
Year: 2001
Time: 17 mins
Language: Testi (Italian w/ Eng Sub) Milian (English)
Interview with: Fabio Testi (Pre Sean Connery-esque beard) & Tomas Milian [Wearing what looks like a cream kufi hat, Milian hat Check #4]
Notes: Both Testi and Milian think Fulci was a strange, difficult and sometimes cruel character, Milian felt pity for him because of it. Testi felt Fulci was testing him because he disliked actors and his girlfriend of the time (Ursula Andress) was on set in Austria. Milian only worked 5 days. He took the cross tattoos under his eyes from Manson’s swastika. Testi liked Milian and got on well with him.

Django Tell!
Included on: Django Kill… Blue Underground DVD (Dir: Gary Hertz)
Year: 2002
Time: 20 mins ( +5 mins if you include the bonus clip)
Language: Lovelock and Questi (Italian w/ Eng Sub) Milian (English)
Interview with: Giulio Questi, Ray Lovelock & Tomas Milian [Wearing the same blue beanie from RMR interview meaning it was all recorded together, Milian hat Check #5]
Notes: Milian didn’t want to do the movie because he thought Questi was too intellectual to make an action movie like a western but thinks in the end it’s the most cult movie of a cult genre. Questi took inspiration from his time in resistance groups during the war, also praises Franco Arcalli’s editing and ideas for being novel at the time. Lovelock came to think of Milian as an older brother.
Milian: “I was a very difficult actor” (lol)

Featurettes of the Blood Money box are already set up and can be filled with details once we get our hands on the box

1 Like

We could use a few more hands with this project :slight_smile: Especially scouring and verifying extras on less diligently entered DVD releases in the database and so on. Checking identical extras that are available in an English title on one, and with an Italian title on the other, etc.

Any takers?
Also, I am wondering about the Milian extra on Blue Underground’s RUN MAN RUN DVD from way back. It seem it has been re-used in other parts, but not in this exact form. I think there are many occasions were one and the same interview may end up more than just one featurette. I would like to sort this out, especially for those among us who like to permanently replace one edition with another it is great to know that some extra will also be on other discs.

I already added the extras I know of from UK releases and have started on the Blood Money ones too. But I am happy to do my American releases next (Blue Underground, Anchor Bay, Wild East) I don’t have everything obviously but will do what I have.

2 Likes

What drives me nuts the most is piecing various extras together, like mysterious interviews on Italian DVDs that may be the same as some featurette on a German DVD, but none of us has the Italian disc, so we can’t tie these all together. That’s sort of where I want us headed, to be able to give a better overview as to what’s out there in terms of extras on a given name

1 Like

Also those Blue Underground discs have Easter egg snippets from Milian hidden in the menus e.g. Milian talking about the left wing crew on Django, Kill trying to kill him.

1 Like

ok, but more precise please. Which discs (BluRay and DVD), which featurette, how long is it and does it have a “name”? :wink: we should put all this info into the database

From memory I can tell you one of my absolute favourite snippets of bonus material in general is on the Run, Man, Run disc from the old BU SW DVD box set. You have to navigate with your remote until the knife in the background image is highlighted to access it. Millian gets all nostalgic and sentimental about the era and the filming of westerns in the outdoors. “It meant youth, it meant life. […] I would give everything to go back”.

Again, this is from memory, and mine is somewhat deteriorating.

I can’t remember these easter eggs having a title, but I could be wrong.

1 Like

Just checked my Blue Underground DVD’s for Easter Eggs. I found the following:

1. “Run Man Run” - “The Tax Man” (2:05)
    From the main menu, press left from the “play” button to highlight the dagger in the screen image, then press enter. This brings up a clip of Tomas Milian discussing his interaction with a tax man.
  2. “Run Man Run” - Hidden Trailers (8:22)
    From the “Extras” menu, Highlight the “Main Menu” button, then press left once. The word “Trailers” appears. This featurette runs 8:22 minutes, playing three trailers back to back (Django, Dgango Kill If You Live Shoot, and A Man Called Blade).
  3. “Four of the Apocalypse” – “First Horse Ride” (2:19)
    From the “Extras” menu, Highlight the “Main Menu” button and press right once. This will highlight the Sheriff’s badge in the image. Press enter. Tomas Milian tells the story of his first horse ride as a child and how this connects to his first horse ride on film in the “Bounty Hunter”.

I also checked “Companeros” and the Underground Bluray for “Man, Pride, and Vengeance”. No easter eggs were found on these.

2 Likes

The BU Run Man Run DVD also has a short 1:11 clip of Sollima (unsubbed) if you move up to the picture of Milian’s face on the chapter 1-6 selection page.

2 Likes