Casablanca vs. Citizen Kane

Widely considered to be the two finest films Hollywood has ever produced, which of the two do you prefer?

My vote goes to Casablanca.

I understand Citizen Kane is one of the most influential movies of all time, but I just can’t get pass the boring plot. Normally when I like a film I’ll watch it twice, the first time focusing on the plot and characters, second time on technical side. After watching Citizen Kane for the first time I find it really difficult to watch it the second time.

“Citizen Kane” is my favorite film of all time. I love the acting, the camra-work and design.

I’m highly impressed by this thread… I think I have to start ten new ones as well.

CITIZEN KANE is a brilliantly made film, which i don’t care if i ever see again. CASABLANCA i could watch right now.

Rosebud hands down for me. I must be one of the few people that don’t find the story boring. The cinematography & use of deep focus are brilliant. The scene where he goes bankrupt & walks towards the window & appears to shrink is a well crafted optical illusion (the same illusion is used later as he walks towards his fireplace). Great use of lighting & creative camera angles (see scene where the camera is buried, literally, in the ground). Joseph Cotton & The Big ‘O’ turn in great performances.
So for me Casablanca receives “Defeat…shameful…ignominious”

[quote=“I…I…Idiot, post:5, topic:1840”]Rosebud hands down for me. I must be one of the few people that don’t find the story boring. The cinematography & use of deep focus are brilliant. The scene where he goes bankrupt & walks towards the window & appears to shrink is a well crafted optical illusion (the same illusion is used later as he walks towards his fireplace). Great use of lighting & creative camera angles (see scene where the camera is buried, literally, in the ground). Joseph Cotton & The Big ‘O’ turn in great performances.
So for me Casablanca receives “Defeat…shameful…ignominious”[/quote]
Same here. I have only seen “Casablanca” once, and while it was good, it isn’t in the same league as “Citizen Kane”. I could watch “Citizen Kane” a thousand times and never be bored.

I love both films , but I would have to say Casablanca if I had to choose between them.

It’s been ages since i’ve seen Casablanca so i have to rewatch it to decide. Citizen Kane is simply brilliant anyway

These 2 films are too different to compare. Both are brilliant in their own area.

Casablanca (and not Gone with the Wind, which is an ok film) is the embodiment of the possibilities of the old Hollywood studio system. CK is an anti-Hollywood film made in Hollywood.

[quote=“Stanton, post:9, topic:1840”]These 2 films are too different to compare. Both are brilliant in their own area.

Casablanca (and not Gone with the Wind, which is an ok film) is the embodiment of the possibilities of the old Hollywood studio system. CK is an anti-Hollywood film made in Hollywood.[/quote]

I always wanted to watch Gone with the Wind, but the 4 hours runtime kinda puts me off.

Don’t let it. It’s one of the quickest three hours your ever going to have.

There are several Film Noir I appreaciate much more than Casablanca and Citizen Kane. I would say I prefer Citizen Kane more. I like Casablanca but IMO Have Or Have Not is better. :slight_smile:

Sorry I meant 4 hours, if I had 4 hours spare I think I’ll actually try and finish OUATIA first. >_>

I’ve just given Citizen Kane the edge in this particular two-horse race. Both thoroughbred productions, but, while Casablanca is a warmer film (it’s one of my mother’s all-time favourites), and arguably an easier viewing experience, for me CK is the more powerful, both as a character study and in terms of its revolutionary technique.