Captain Apache (Alexander Singer, 1971)

I got the UK import off xploitedcinema - solid release for a bizarre movie.

I agree with most of the posts… This is by no means a great film, but it’s very entertaining. The best bit, though, has to be the intro with the LVC spoken-singing thang. The way they keep calling him ‘red ass’ throughout the movie is pretty funny too.

Ive got this on VHS under the title The Guns Of April Morning. I absolutely love it. Its kinda trashy to be honest but its huge huge fun! Van Cleef is awesome and the theme tune is great. And that trip scene completely caught me off guard when I first saw it. Go into this movie expecting an unsung spaghetti western masterpiece and you’ll be sorely disappointed. Go into it expecting good trashy fun and thats exactly what you’ll get.

Watched this yesterday and had a lot of fun with it. Van Cleef is in good form and so is Stuart Whitman. Elisa Montes looked very nice and portrays an enjoyable character too.

There are some great scenes in this one:

• The guy that gets buried alive and then shoots the priest who digs him up again
  • Van Cleef having to undress before an Indian speaks to him
  • The shooting of the ‘blind’ mariachi
  • The scene with the two freak brothers
  • The hallucinogen trip

As The halitosis kid mentioned there’s some fun dialogue too.
“Snake canyon?! But it’s full of snakes!” (or something like that)

Also there’s a couple of running gags that work well:

• The constand “red ass” remarks
  • Everyone who knows about april morning gets shot

The ending had me laughing really hard, and the April morning song even harder.

3 stars

I believe this film was filmed by the same camera man as in Man Called Noon. How are this movies camera angles? Or camera work in general. Someone jokingly called this something of a Giallo Spaghetti in that thread. Does it resemble a Giallo in anyway?

You’re right, both films are shot by John Cabrera
His showy style (low camera angles, dust etc.) is less obtrusive here

There is some Giallo influence, Van Cleef is investigating a mystery, but it feels more like a second-hand spaghetti, a spaghetti-western made by people who didn’t really know how to do it
The film may be fun as a sort of guilty pleasure

I love Captain Apache

I mistakenly got a “Laugh Track” release of this, and it comes with 2 versions of the film- the normal one, and one with a “laugh track” audio dub, where this company replaced the dialog with their own “funny” dialog- ala MST3k, only not that well done

I watched the normal cut first, of course, and then went back to check out the laugh track version and thought the original was infinitely more funny. Didn’t make it far into the laugh track…

I think this is a very enjoyable movie if you’re willing to just have fun with it

I re-watched (yes, I am probably that insane) ‘Captain Apache’ the other day, and I have to say that it is a bad film, and sometimes quite questionable (like the calling of the albino (?) brothers (who, I may add, do not look related at all; one is a bit butch and the other is scrawny, and their faces do not look at all similar, like brothers should) ‘‘freaks’’ just because they have a rare condition), and has a strange use of slang (’‘We are not going to. RED ASS!’’, ‘‘Out of the way, red ass’’ etc.), but it is quite amusing.

I like the theme song but ‘April Morning’ is dreadful. And I think that deep inside the plot is a good noir film that was turned into a western and then made ridiculous. It has a classic noir ‘‘drugged scene’’ and the fact that he investigates many characters, the plot sounds like it should be good…but it isn’t.

Still, I give it about a 3, because I still like it, like most SWs and Eurowesterns.

What has this got to do with captains with red asses? Reported!

And WoW is just a sucky fad!!!

@ Tepepa : Make funny remarks about it, but please don’t copy it, it’s of course spam and that’s what they’re after: people copying it

yes, there’s no need to comment any of these spam posts, moderator will delete them eventually anyway.

Interesting. You are probably right, though I had never heard such slang before in my life. I think the makers of this film probably found it in some obscure book.

Does anyone know of a letterbox version of this film region 0 or 1?

The UK Stonevision Entertainment DVD is region free (I’ve just double checked using ifoedit) and its got a good (slightly cropped?) anamorphic picture.
Here are some screen snaps for you Spuff!

Thank ya

I rewatched the film from my shitty cheapie dvd in 4:3. Pretty weird film, not a good one but there’s enough hilarious scenes which makes it worth watching (Bad Lieutenant mentioned some of them earlier). The film just isn’t much of a western actually but feels more like a detective film or a giallo. Theme song “sung” by Lee Van Cleef is priceless and the most memorable thing in the film. It really stucks in your head.

My rating: 2/5

(btw, is this once again one of those polls fixed by SD? So many 5 star ratings…)

I must watch this again, haha. Maybe next weekend.

Why isn’ the title “Captain Apache” listed in the English Titles directory of the database?

Because it is the original title, Get Mean ans Comin’ at Ya! are not listed too.

Its listed as a ‘Eurowestern’ on its database page