[Blu-ray] Latest and Upcoming Releases 📀

To my knowledge it does, but I can check if you remind me what I need to watch out for (it’s been a while)

Thanks - the issue is documented well here:

The new U.S. DVD release of NAVAJO JOE has a screwed-up moment that is glaring.
In the pre-credits sequence, Duncan (Aldo Sanbrell), shoots the Indian woman and then scalps her. The music starts shreiking as Duncan begins to scalp the woman and should continue until the scene shifts to the opening credits and the gang is seen riding towards the camera.
That’s how the movie was when it played theatrically, how in appeared on the MGM/UA VHS and how it appeared on the Japanese DVD release by Stingray.
Now, the new MGM DVD, released through 20th Century Fox, shows up and the distinctive percussion hit that has always signalled the beginning of the credits sequence comes during the scalping, causing the main theme to begin early.
After the music finished, the audio engineer laid in more sound of the gang riding to keep the rest of the movie in sync.
What had been a treasured cinematic moment of picture and music syncing perfectly is ruined on the new DVD release. What are the chances that a re-release will correct this? (Poor, I believe.)

Ok I will rewatch it this week and check. But I remember some discussions back then that reported these things fixed in the German releases that came after the MGM DD

Yes - the German Koch DVD fixed the audio (I have a copy so can verify this). However, apparently the subsequent German Blu-ray reverted back to the incorrect audio (I don’t have a copy, but that was reported somewhere in the forums here). I was wondering what happened with the newest German Blu-ray in the “Western Unchained” collection?

I will check it later

Ok so judging from that description, the Koch Media BluRay in the Unchained collection seems to get this wrong in the English track (still horses riding before the credits are done, i.e. credits sequence starts too early), but gets it right in the Italian and German track (a lot more screaming, percussions set in with “A Dino de Laurentiis production”). Sorry to be reconfirming the bad news.

When I first started watching the German ‘Navajo Joe’ Blu-ray - with the English soundtrack - I noticed the discrepancy with the music in the opening titles straight away. To say that I was peed off would be an understatement, because I love the full version of the opening title…which you do not get with the English track!

Because there is literally no dialogue leading up to the opening title music, I now - when viewing the blu-ray - watch the film with either the German or Italian soundtrack - up until the end of the credits, and then quickly flick my remote control hand-set back to the English language. This means I can get the full benefit of the opening title music, and then enjoy the rest of the film in English.

I don’t know who buggered up the full Ennio Morricone title track for the English audio…but they need their cigarillos removing!!

1 Like

That’s a shame! It’s weird how they fixed it on the DVD but not on the Blu-ray! I wonder if they will ever release a corrected version?

Good idea!

Don’t know if it’s already been mentioned but it was news to me at least :slight_smile: Code Red is releasing A Long Ride from Hell on blu-ray for release next month:

1 Like

doesn’t seem to be listed anymore

Probably sold out for now from diabolikdvd.

Code Red’s own shop is down for maintenance so couldn’t make a link to that.

I have the Code Red DVD of A Long Ride… I check Code Red’s store periodically and it was down the last time I looked several weeks ago. Diabolik will often keep items listed even when supply is exhausted, with a “order now, more available soon” notation. There’s also some info in the “Code Red blu-ray discussion thread” on blu-ray.com regarding business between the two sources.

I too was unaware of an upcoming blu-ray release of that title but I’m happy with the DVD, which i purchased inexpensively from Amazon marketplace so I likely wouldn’t get it anyway but good to know just the same.

Code Red’s own store doesn’t ship internationally so the only place for me to buy them is through diabolikdvd or the Screenarchives-exclusive through that store. Code Red distribution is a major pain in other words, unless you live in the States. No selling through amazon, no nothing.

A Long Ride from Hell was both available in a preorder-bundle with the coming 4 Code Red titles in and separately but both products are gone now. Diabolikdvd will probably put it up at a later point again but getting the Code Red-titles you want is certainly a hit-and-miss operation.

Win one copy of the new LAST OF THE BADMEN BluRays:

The Unholy Four coming to blu-ray

1 Like

The Man Called Noon is coming too

1 Like

I strongly suspect that Explosive Media will be hot on their tails then with their own edition of it

Oh this is nice

1 Like

Too bad, no extras

https://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01J6PPFPO/italowestern-21

88 Films will be releasing The Mercenary in January 2017:

1 Like