[Blu-ray] Latest and Upcoming Releases šŸ“€

I think it looks like a great set. Tons of fantastic extras, surely great quality, and every SW gap filled with an HD version is a win in my book. Plus, itā€™s nice for boxes to be a bit diverse, so that thereā€™s something in them for everyone :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I agree that itā€™s great to see more SWs being released ā€¦ but my first reaction to this announcement was, oh for fucks sake! :wink: There are so many better candidates for release than ā€˜Mataloā€™ and ā€˜Find a Place to Dieā€™ , regardless of who champions these titles ā€¦ The bottom line is that Arrow want sales ā€¦ and poor returns on this collection, will likely mean fewer boxsets or SW releases in general in the future ā€¦ and as it probably will be in the same price range as ā€˜Vengeance Trailsā€™, nearly Ā£70 ā€¦ this does not motivate me at all to buy.

Thatā€™s why I said earlier, these distributors need to know their stuff and their potential market.

Speaking of which I see that the first boxset is being offered now at Ā£34 @ HMV and Ā£35 from Arrow themselves.

6 Likes

The second run of their boxsets comes without booklet and poster and are cheaper than the first editions.

I think Matalo belongs to the handful of SW titles that will attract Arrowā€™s core fanbase of Italian exploitation and horror films, based on how bizarre it is.

1 Like

It doesnā€™t surprise me that Stanton rates Matalo that highly tbh.

1 Like

Mataloā€™s the one that would get my dollar too. No masterpiece, but more off beat, innovative, experimental, atmospheric, psychedelic and weirdly bonkers than any Iā€™ve seen. Havenā€™t seen Kill the Wicked though.

Ok ā€¦ thanks for that info. Do I want to spend a further Ā£35 on a booklet and repro poster ā€¦No! Iā€™ve never even looked at the Sartana booklet ā€¦ ā€œSome dayā€, as Harmonica would say :wink:

1 Like

Ah very good :joy:

1 Like

Have to say I agree and Iā€™m a bit disappointed. Iā€™m still happy the Garko films are getting what will probably be a definitive release, but I didnā€™t think Matalo! was the best, and while I havenā€™t seen Find a Place to Die yet, Iā€™ve never liked any of the Carnimeo films that I have seen. It does feel a bit disjointed. If it had been two of El Puro, The Deserter or A Taste of Death instead (or why not just all three? I know theyā€™d charge more but the Sartana release had five films), this wouldā€™ve been my favourite spaghetti release ever. Iā€™m not going to hold my breath, but part of me will still hope they do release those three in some kind of ā€œForgotten Westernā€ box set eventually.

Edit: Red Coat would be another good one to release in a ā€œForgottenā€¦ā€ set.

3 Likes

How do you rate Kill The Wicked?

1 Like

For me thereā€™s just no way, not that you canā€™t like it, but better than
And God Said to Cain
Bandidos
Massacre Time & My Name is Pecos

As well as the two Garko films in this set??? Come onā€¦

Whereā€™s @Tom_B when you need him

3 Likes

This is why we love ya, stanton

1 Like

5 Likes

Great, now Iā€™ve got that song stuck in my head :rofl:

The list of titles that could have been released instead of this is or that is long. Itā€™s obviously impossible to please everyone, even if they had access to release whatever titles they want, which is not the case.

As Seb said, itā€™s always a win when a SW gets a proper HD release. The question if Matalo or Find A Place to Die belongs in the box or not is nit-picking IMOā€¦ And if we are going there, all the movies in this set already has good DVD releasesā€¦

3 Likes

Me neither ā€¦ :wink:

But actually it is no masterpiece, the film has its share of flaws, but there is some excellent stuff in it, especially the wonderful longe opening. 8/10

The other one made from that screenplay God Does Not Pay on Saturday (aka Kill the Wicked) is also recommended. 7/10

2 Likes

Well said! And donā€™t we also have a solo release of a Spag from Arrow coming soon aswell?

2 Likes

Iā€™m pretty happy with the films included. $10,000 Blood Money is one of my personal favourites so really happy to see that and Vengeance is Mine makes a good companion to that. Matalo! is not a personal favourite but can see itā€™s cult appeal and Find a Place to Die is at least one that many will not be familiar with and could be due a re-evaluation.

All in all a decent mix and of course not every film will suit every fan but thatā€™s the nature of box sets I suppose. They can give an opportunity to include something which may not have wide enough appeal on its own. Iā€™m just glad the bloody thing has finally been released. :laughing:

5 Likes

True, but a little criticism should not be out of the question either. Iā€™m not just going to sit and clap like a mindless seal whenever a spag is released. I think some fair points have been raised. Overall it is good for the genre, but that probably goes without saying doesnā€™t itā€¦

2 Likes

I like all 4 and the 10.000 $ Garko too, but Matalo is in its best scenes more fascinating. I also prefer Matalo to Django Kills, a similar weird film.

This all sounds like Tom Bettsā€™ favourite western is liked by no one, but Matalo was once in the forumā€™s Top 20 rating at # 33, but has dropped continuously since then, and is now at # 46. 15 voters still feature Matalo in their top 20, and at least one voter has it even at the # 1 spot.
Weā€™ll see if such a prestige release will gather some new admirers ā€¦

2 Likes

They finally put you out of your misery didnā€™t they :joy:

3 Likes