[Blu-ray] Latest and Upcoming Releases šŸ“€

Agreed. Iā€™m surprised heā€™s always been so harsh on TM and Companeros. I think theyā€™re his best two westerns and the zapata sub-genre is the only area he managed to surpass Leone.

1 Like

Just announced this morning from Kino Lorber (region A):

Coming November 7th on Blu-ray!

Death Rides a Horse (1967) with optional English subtitles
ā€¢ Audio Commentary by Filmmaker Alex Cox
ā€¢ English and Italian 2.0 Audio
ā€¢ Original Theatrical Trailer

4 Likes

Cox has way to many ideas going around in his head, sometimes it works in his films but mostly not for me.

according to their FB reaction, they fixed framing issues reported on the Explosive discā€¦

Amazon pre-order links are live for both releases, please do use the SWDbā€™s Amazon links if you can

THE MERCENARY aka A Professional Gun

DEATH RIDES A HORSE aka From Man to Man

1 Like

My 88Films blu copy of Django Kill arrived today and, as mentioned earlier, the transfer is identical to the Blue Underground region-free blu. The eighteen-minute Django Kill and the Evolution of Tomas Milian feature is light and fun - a bit YouTube-like, really - and itā€™s quite informative to relative genre newcomers but it wonā€™t offer any new information to any of you gentlemen here. Feature presenter Eric Zaldivar only appears to like Django Kill up to roughly the forty-minute mark, past which he thinks it gets weird for weirdā€™s sake, and I guess thatā€™s a fairly unique approach for 88Films to take, but he doesnā€™t dwell on it.

Now Iā€™ve got them both Iā€™ll probably keep them both but, ultimately, thereā€™s really no need to double-dip here. If any of you donā€™t own Django Kill on blu yet but intend to do so (and youā€™re in a region ā€œBā€ area), I reckon you should let price and availability decide for you since the extras are minimal and the movie itself is identical in each instance (it should be noted though that the 88Films copy divides the movie up into 8 chapters whereas the Blue Underground disc divides the movie into 21 chapters. Also, there is a Chapter Select option in the pop-up menu on the Blue Underground version but not on the 88Films version.Indeed, the Blue Underground pop-up menu will actually ā€œpop-upā€ as the movie plays on whereas pressing the pop-up menu button will cause the 88Films version to return to its main menu, and it wonā€™t remember where you were in the movie, itā€™ll just start it again from the beginning. Very DVD-like). If price and availability are more-or-less identical for both copies then IMHO you should probably plump for the Blue Underground disc, simply because of the chapter select/pop-up menu navigation mentioned above and because the Milian, Lovelock and Questi interview segments probably represent a slightly better extra than the Eric Zaldivar essay on spaghetti westerns and Milianā€™s career. Also, Blue Underground offer subtitles for their English dub as well as English subs for the Italian audio.

The 88Filmsā€™ sleeve is a bit crap tbh too, but it does have a nice alternate ā€œreverseā€ sleeve, acknowledging the movie by its original name.

https://s26.postimg.org/sp7tz2q21/rsz_photo_20170927_131933.jpg

https://s26.postimg.org/t8him36uh/rsz_photo_20170927_131812.jpg

I wonder if their Mercenary & Navajo Joe will have any unique selling pointsā€¦

Agreed! Actually it seems like they took it from the Danish poster for the movie for some reason. Sadly lacking from my poster collection eventhough it stinks :slight_smile:

Unless Iā€™m mistaken, doesnā€™t Eric go by ā€œYourPallbearerā€ here?

Iā€™ve no idea tbh, but I did wonder if he might have been one of our patrons, either right now or previously at least. A young man with a keen interest in the genre would surely have trotted through here at some point, Iā€™d have thought.

[quote=ā€œNovecento, post:1816, topic:660ā€]
doesnā€™t Eric go by ā€œYourPallbearerā€ here?[/quote]

Yeah thatā€™s him, nice fellow.

I have the Blood for a Silver Dollar german Blu ray and itā€™s exactly the same print as the japanese oneā€¦ itā€™s ok but itā€™s not HD and suffers from ghostingā€¦ still itā€™s probably the best print to date :slight_smile:

1 Like

I havenā€™t got the hardbox release yet. Is it better than the Wild East DVD?

Yes thankfully

So as you can see from the banners and the announcement on the SWDbā€™s front page, we teamed up with Dorado Films for special pre-sale event. For each BluRay sold before the end of the month, one dollar goes towards the SWDb.
Click here to learn more and pre-order:
https://doradofilms.video/index.php?upc=828637050102

2 Likes

Cover artwork has been added

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Grande_silenzio,_Il/BluRay

Sweeeeet!

Hopefully there will be English audio along with Italian audio and English subs on one of the other countriesā€™ releases. Iā€™ve always found the English audio to be above par on this film.

My loins are tingly in anticipation for this.

So far there is no indication that it would be English friendly :frowning:

Tried watching it in Italian once and didnā€™t enjoy it as much.