Bad Man’s River / El hombre de Río Malo (Eugenio Martín, 1971)

This is a great flick, the reviews do it no justice. Its real cheeky, Van Cleef would have raided Western Union instead of going through all the trouble but I love the movie anyway. Would be a nice pairing with Don’t Turn the Other Cheek!

very very funny SW! we need funny westerns!
i like a lot the cast! the music it’s like taken from a cartoon anime

I’m more lenient on some 70s Lee Van Cleef spaghetti westerns than a lot of people - The Return of Sabata is my favourite Sabata and I’m very fond of The Stranger and the Gunfighter - so I had hope this one wouldn’t be too bad. Unfortunately, I found it to be utterly mediocre and with such a great casts, that’s really sad. Too bad, it actually had some of the right ingredients to make a good comedy.

I saw this one fairly recently but all I can remember is the river boat and the random marriage. I think the marriage was when the film sort of lost me. Really pretty bad.

Ha, ha…maybe the best way to view this one.

The car that they escape from the fort in at the end bothers me. In reality it’s got a flat head two cylinder engine or something. They put all those boards on it and all those people, it wouldn’t have moved. Guess that is why they used some old duce n half when they actually drove off.

I was somewhat positive surprised by that flick after reading your comments on “Bad Man’s River”. Sure, soundtrack is annoying, Garkos cast is wasted and some of the long shots of the paddle steamer look like a model swimming in bath tub. But nevertheless a piece of solid entertainment to me.

Watched the recent Italian DVD, came out last year I think, goes under title of ‘Continuavano a fregarsi il milione di dollari’. Its in 2:35:1 and has English audio. Quality is acceptable, but not really good. Anyway, I quite liked the film, I wasn’t expecting the amount of comedy in it when I started watching but it was entertaining enough. Van Cleef was decent, didn’t even recognise Gianni Garko til i read the box and saw he was supposed to be in it. I think the female star, Gina Lollobrigida, stole the show really. She is (was) pretty hot.

all cast is very funny

actually a fan of this SW too

“It’s a bad, bad movie”

Either this movie was severely cut by a monkey, or director and editor are dilettantes. Every other scene ends with annoying abruptly cut. Anyone knows are there different versions of this movie with different runtimes? (in a way I hope not, otherwise I might be tempted to sit through this again :slight_smile: ). Dubbing was really atrocious, even for SW “standards”.

I guess I used to judge this film on the awful first 11 1/2 minutes which feels like a completely different movie… after that its just a normal decent western with some good action scenes

I liked this one when I was a kid but I haven’t watched it since. I got the stonevision disc but it looks quite bad. It plays in fullscreen on my TV, not widescreen. How is the Italian DVD? I think watching it in its best quality version would help.

Why not go for the blu-ray from Kino Lorber?

I don’t have a Blu Ray player.

Well, if you want to watch movies in the best versions available as you write you really need one. But you have heard that before of course :slight_smile:

Kino released the DVD as well, I doubt it could look better on any other version

Watched the Stonevision DVD today. It’s a good transfer as long as you watch it on a widescreen TV. I enjoyed it and don’t think it’s all that bad.

I watched this again today. It must been around 15 years I saw it first and I didn’t remember a thing about it, only that they were in a ship which made me think it had a plot about poker playing or something like that. I didn’t remember it was a revolution film.

Well, it’s kinda disaster of a film. With this cast you should get something good out of it but it’s just stupid film. First 30 minutes are ok when LVC’s gang is introduced, there’s some good action and the comedic moments are also better but then it starts to get worse and sillier all the time.

My rating: 4/10

This film’s page in the SWDb has been upgraded to the new “SWDb 3.0” format. Please have a look and let us know if there’s something you can add (information, trivia, links, pictures, etc.).
Unfortunately the occasion of me touching that page is Gina’s arrividerci :frowning:

2 Likes