Articles

A good read, but where’s Shalako? Chato’s land? And why didn’t you say something about The Savage Guns?

And Hannie Caulder?

Seriously though Korano, I appreciate your work but I must say I disagreed with most of what you said. :wink:
For example, “Most of the film’s were shot by inexperienced TV directors who had never directed a full length or theatrical film before”? Hmm, can’t really go along with that. Medford and Singer may have been primarily TV directors but neither could be described as inexperienced. The others, Dmytryk, Parish, Collinson, Winner, Martin, Kennedy, were all experienced and successful film directors.

Having said all that, I admit I may be a trifle defensive of the British films. Some of them were a bit rubbish. I just think you were a bit harsh in general. That’s just my opinion of course and we are all entitled to our own.

Well, it’s just one fellahs opinion and that’s ok.
But for the record - I really like A Town Called Hell/Bastard. Any film that has a sorta crucifixion (Savalas); a hot widow (Stella stevens) who rides around in an old hearse ridden by a mute who strangely gets to say a line (Lovejoy’s sidekick); a massacre and a shootout in a church; and a bit of religious sculpture thrown in for good measure; gets this Reverend’s vote.
Religious imagery abounds - and that’s makes for a ‘goodie’ in my book.

Someone else could write another article on British SWs offering his views maybe?

A good one for me aswell…just gets better every time I view this one.

here’s my take on this:

a) nowhere does it say that we can only have one article per subject
b) if the author agrees, an article can be fair game for editing, extending, collaborative writing
c) korano doesn’t claim to be the ultimate authority and in that light his articles should be read

In no way was I casting any criticisms at korano … jus’ stating a difference of opinion.
Fair play to the fellah - for putting so much time in.
As you say, other people can write their own articles - to contrast and compare if they want.

But not me tho’ … unfortunately I’m far too lazy!

Just for the record : I also like A Town called Hell/Basterd, although it has a lot of shortcomings.

For some strange reason I also like Shalako; it’s not by miles Dmytryk’s (why didn’t this guy get himself a spellable pseudo!) best movie but it has some good ideas (European nobility out West for a hunting party for example), and some excellent nasty moments as well (the way Honor blackman is killed is a classic!). I think Chato’s Land is a decent effort too, and Hannie Caulder is many western buff’s favourite guilty pleasure.

Nice article korano :slight_smile:

I’m not quite sure if Chato’s Land is really an UK Western. In Bruckner’s SW Book it’s also an EURO-Western. According to IMDB the Production Country is US .
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066907/[/url]
The same says Wiki :
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chato%27s_Land]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chato’s_Land[url]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066907/[/url]

That’s wrong. Chato’s Land is an english production, but released by United Artists.

The first english western was btw The Sheriff of Fractured Jaw (1959), a mild comedy about a british gentleman (greenhorn) who becomes a town tamer against his will. It was directed by Hollywood veteran Raoul Walsh.
The interiors were shot in England while for the location shooting a pre build town was shipped to Hoyo de Manzanares near Madrid. It must in fact be the same town set where Leone later shot his ground breaking FoD.

So the british were probably the first who established a western infrastructure in Spain which could be reused by all the others who didn’t had enough money to build their own sets. A major basis for the SW mass production.

Another early british western was The Singer Not the Song (1960) by Roy Ward Baker.

Same here.

For someone as new to this genre he sure has opinions though :wink: :smiley:

Just joking korano :wink:

Nice to see so much output from you, despite you being a new fan

We should add to this article a list of all british produced westerns to give an overview. There are not so much out there, so it should be no problem.

With director, year of release and maybe the leading actors.

What do you think?

Well, I didn’t know there would be such a response.

Let me start. Thank you all. I can take critisiscm some times. :wink:

But I was aware of my hostile tone. That is just how it came out. Not too intentional. But I didn’t include Savage Guns or Chato’s Land etc. because I picked films that have something in common in feel or look. Chato’s Land is far more American than Captain Apache, Town Called Hell, or Pancho Villa. And I haven’t seen Savage Guns.

I don’t include all films in the article or article because I try to just take a selected few that clearly represent the specific sub genre. And I have to be very careful with my aeticles because for every film paragraph, I have to have another paragraph that discusses a certain aspect of those films and it also serves as a transition.

Yes, if you want to, you can add to certain parts of the article or do what you want THAT IS WITHIN REASON.

Thank You all

Well said, it certainly is one for me

Well I certainly wouldn’t change your article Korano. It is yours and reflects your opinions which is how it should be.

another thing: I mean, I can only imagine that you might want to revisit your article a few months from now after having seen some more movies of the particular genre. Just in general… we’re talking about something dynamic here, something collaborative… all this feedback is fine, and you can pick up on it - or not. or in a few months etc.

also, I was thinking of doing an experiment: I’ll start a page “the history of the genre” and leave it empty, and 6 months later, we’ll see what a kick-ass article it might be :wink: collaborative editing at its best. I’m just afraid of the plagiarism, it’s always tempting to copy bruckner & co, if only for the facts

I don’t think that’ll work
You can’t drive a car when everybody’s holding the steering wheel
There can only be one driver, the others may suggest directions or ask the steering wheel for a moment, to park the car for example, or to take a very nasty bend up in the mountains

it’s the future, steering-free cars :smiley: