Any Gun Can Play / Vado … l’ammazzo e torno (Enzo G. Castellari, 1967)

This was a pretty good, light hearted film. Silly at times, to the point of it resembling They Call me Hallelujah.

Not very original, but managed to survive well. The setup for the ending wasn’t working, because Byrnes showed no quick-draw skills previously. Though the ending did work. But the sound didn’t… an annoying tape-loop.

I didn’t have any problems with the film except for the (hidden) trampoline-stunts during the market fight. It distracted from the scene’s grittiness.

Solid vehicle for Roland and Hilton. 7-out-of-10.

After my second watching of Any Gun Can Play but now on my received DVD I rate it as a weak 6/10 good for ranking 57 on my Top SW list.
The two long fist fights especially the second one are a big minus. They are probably the only supposed real comedy but for me just boring and irritating. Without them this SW would feel more even and rather serious.
The beginning is the highlight with the three outlaws looking like some of the most famous SW-characters.

1 Like

Mr runner, I rate your review a mild 11/10, but possibly a strong 10/10 depending on what day it is.

2 Likes

The day I knew it would likely arrive shortly was Oct 6, so a 6/10 actually might seem even more appropriate if there was such a dependance which you probably never can rule out in cases where some subjectivity could be involved regarding the “mechanism of action” !

We know that in the intro sequence the Colonel Mortimer-type and the Django-type characters are played by José Torres and Luciano Odorisio (uncredited).

Does anybody know the guy who plays the Man With No Name-type character named Jesus Sanchez? He also appears in The Moment to Kill (see below on the right)

I had a couple of hours to kill this afternoon and started surfing through Tubi. Instead of watching something I hadn’t seen before I was drawn toward giving this one a re-watch. I had forgotten just how much I enjoy it. George Hilton, “Kookie” Byrnes, Gilbert Roland, and directed by Enzo G. Castellari. What’s not to love? Just an all-around fun movie.

1 Like

For sure. Like so many Castellari’s. Would love a good release of this one.

1 Like

Rumor is that Koch has one in the works but when and if that comes to fruition remains to be seen.

2 Likes

Elaborate on the rumors?

1 Like

I have to admit that it took a bit of deliberation before I finally remembered where I read this as it had been a while. But then I finally had that “AHA!” moment which was immediately followed by a “DUH!” moment. :laughing:

Vado… l’ammazzo e torno/BluRay - The Spaghetti Western Database (spaghetti-western.net)

2 Likes

hm, the info was entered in 2018 so god knows what… haha

2 Likes

I E-Mailed Koch recently about the film, and they said since StudioCanal owns the copyrights to the film, they would have to approve the release, so I E-Mailed StudioCanal asking them if they would consider saying yes to a Blu Ray release. I’m waiting for a response from them at the moment.

3 Likes

I would be surprised if you get that level of detail out of contractual relations, especially from a larger corp like SC, but let’s see what they say. It would be great to see this one out on HD, I wonder if that would mean a 2023 title or one outside the current collection series or if they’d append to it :slight_smile: all hypothetical

3 Likes

I’m kinda doubtful they’ll give me an answer we’re all hopeful of, but it never hurts to give it a shot. If I just get a “thank you for contacting us” type of E-Mail from them I’m happy because I know they’ll have read it.

3 Likes

@makesthemovie is on the case. :wink:

1 Like

Bonjourno Amigos, believe it or not I did receive an E-Mail response earlier today from StudioCanal on my inquiry about a Blu Ray release for Any Gun Can Play. Unfortunately they’re constantly glutted with other E-Mails regarding other films in their catalogue, so they aren’t able at the moment to give any specific information on any particular film, but to keep checking their sites in the UK, Germany, France, etc., in regards to specific titles as they’re always setting release dates on physical media as well as retrospective theater showings.

1 Like

Any Gun Can Play has been updated to the new layout (3.0). Let us know if you can add anything: pictures, posters, trivia, facts, figures, links, etc…

3 Likes

New poll for Any Gun Can Play available at the top of the page on the original post! :arrow_up:

1 Like

I’m surprised it’s taken so long. Hopefully it’ll pop up in an Arrow box in the future.

3 Likes