Animals in SW

What are the westerns where a protagonist treats his animal companion (horse, mule, donkey…) with respect and love? I mean taking some more care about the animal than just binding it to the nearest post or possibly stopping someone from mistreating his animal or any other animal. Is there a sw with such a subtle message? Right now I can think only of Day of Anger and Van Cleef keeping Gemma from beating his mule which I really liked about the Van Cleef’s character in the movie. Is there a western where an animal played an important part of the story and where it was not just a mean of transport? What about dogs? Did ever a sw hero have a faithfull dog as his companion?

Tony Anthony’s ‘The Stranger’ movies … the horse is called, ‘Pussy’ … and there seems to be affection, as though he were a sidekick. Also his horse in ‘Blindman’, to which he comments his thoughts on the situations he’s in via the animal. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What about that horsey in ¡Matalo! (Canevari, 1970)? He was like a proper sidekick, wasn’t he? Like Bruce Lee in The Green Hornet, but with hooves.

2 Likes

I would like to have seen at least one SW incorporate a gorilla, like dozens and dozens of pulp comics, mags, books, tv shows, movies…especially in the 30s-60s including the Wild, Wild, West(Night of the Simian Terror). Maybe they have.

2 Likes

Una cuerda al amanecer

1 Like

Oh Matalo! I love that horse scene, the best scene of the movie.

1 Like

Good call. I always liked donkeys. When I was kid I visited Crete and made my dad stop the car to feed a donkey standing by the street. The animal really liked a melone. :blush: There were also donkeys who took tourists up some steep hill. Poor animals had to bear there mostly heavy fat people who were not able to climb the hill alone. They had to work hard to get them there. Hmm I wonder if there are some sw shot in Greece (inland or islands) since those locations looked imo good for the genre.