American westerns that have a spaghetti western/Sergio Leone style

Bandolero (1968) has Jerry Goldsmith aping Morricone and is a bit like a spaghetti western although directed by the hack Andrew McLaglen.

More Dead Than Alive (1968) starts off with an opening prison escape sequence just like a spaghetti western but the rest of the film is directed like a TV movie.

The Professionals (1966) is the American western most like a spaghetti western but was made before the Leone films were released in America so wasn’t influenced by them.

100 Rifles (1968) and Villa Rides (1968) both American films shot in Spain are almost indistinguishable from Italian films.

American Westerns have been influenced by the SW.

For example, Deadman Standing (2018), in the saloon shootout scene, you see all the pyrotechnics and spaghetti agility.

SW changed cinema. I dare say that Kilbill is a SW work, and that Tarantino is his remnant, in a spiritual and mystical way.

Also, I seem to remember McLaglen doing his version of the ‘waiting for a train’ scene from OUATITW in “The Train Robbers”.

1 Like

Robert Rodriguez’s mariachi trilogy is fantastic.

2 Likes

El Mariachi is such an amazing film, especially considering it was made for 7000 dollars. I have to say though, I was disappointed with Desperado. In recent times, however, it has grown on me, especially when listening to Rodriguez´s commentary (the extras in the 2-pack blu ray are fantastic). Is the third one worth watching, or should I watch other films instead?

1 Like

I’m quite fond of Desperado. It has some really beautiful scenes and some amazing action scenes but then there’s also very mediocre and bad scenes.

Third one was just terrible, I hated it.

1 Like

Do you have the double bill Blu ray? It is seriously a must own with 2 great bonus features and fantastic extras

Once Upon a Time in Mexico is my favorite of the three.

4 Likes

Really? So I should watch it?

1 Like

Definitely.

2 Likes

Yep have to agree… Once Upon A Time in Mexico is my favourite of the trilogy… Love that opening prologue and the credit scene with Banderas trying the new guitar

1 Like