American football corner

It only makes sense. We have a ‘What’s Your Football Team’ thread & thanks to Phil we also have the ‘Baseball Corner’ thread so why not an American Football thread.

I’ll start by asking if (I think I know the answer) anyone saw the Monday Night Football game between the Bills & my Patriots? Wow! What a way to spark a season off. While the crew looked out of sorts & outplayed for 3 1/2 quarters, they stepped up & had an improbable comeback for the ages. Brady finally looked like the Brady of old & ran the 2 minute drill to perfection…twice. Due to a bonehead move by the punt returner. I taught my girlfriend to never stop watching a game because you might miss something special. Well, I was watching TWS of poker thinking this one was over, but switched back in time. Ace, which Texas team do you root for (think I might now this answer as well)?

I was a diehard Cowboy fan (from birth) until J. Jones bought the team and sent the legendary Tom Landry packing in the late ‘80s. Never been so pissed off in my life! The Cowboys lost a lot of lifetime, diehard fans down here over the way Jones treated Landry. But, since then, my team’s the New Orleans Saints. My pop’s Louisiana born and bred, and I was there for the Saints’ opening kickoff at old Tulane field in 1967, so I’ve always had a soft spot for them(even though they suck most of the time). They’ve had a few shining moments though, and this year’s group might kick some major ass if the defense will show up on a regular basis. I try to fly down to N’Awlins at least once a year to catch a game at the Superdome. Nobody parties like Saints fans!

My all-time favorite players and memories though are of Landry’s Cowboys when growing up. My first uniform was a Dallas Cowboys #22 (recent Hall of Fame inductee Bob Hayes). Great players and great teams. Still hate the 49ers and the Steelers for whipping the Cowboys on a regular basis back in the 70s and early 80s.

On a different note, I travel to Dallas/Ft. Worth every two to three weeks on business and have been watching the construction of this new Cowboys football stadium. Its freakin’ unbelievable! The biggest, baddest facility I’ve ever seen. And I can’t believe people are actually paying those ridiculously insane prices for tickets to watch the Cowboys. Only way I’ll ever go to a game there is if someone gives me some tickets(and the Saints will have to be the visiting team). Geaux Saints!!

I remember back when New England Patriots were the Boston Patriots. By the way, I like the Patriots’ uniforms they were wearing Monday night better than their present-day unis. I’m old school. Great players and history-Jim Nance, Jim Plunkett, Randy Vataha, Carl Garrett, “Mini” Mack Herron, Sam “Bam” Cunningham(Randall Cunningham’s older bro). Never liked Tony Eason though. Hey Idiot, appreciate the thread!

Pats take on the J-E-T-S today. NY has improved & it would not surprise me to see them beat the Patriots except for one thing…The Jets are talking too much shit. That usually comes back to bite teams in the ass. It will be a great game though. N’walins plays a Philly team dealing with some issues right now Ace. I pike your team in this one.

Yeah, we’re probably playing the Eagles at the optimum time. No McNabb, no Vick; either Kolb or newly signed Jeff Garcia at QB. We can score on anyone, just need a little DEE…I like our chances too.

I’ll take your Pats over the Jets all day long. Even though the Jets new QB had a good first game, he’s still a rookie. Patriots win 31-20.

[quote=“AceHigh, post:4, topic:1972”]Yeah, we’re probably playing the Eagles at the optimum time. No McNabb, no Vick; either Kolb or newly signed Jeff Garcia at QB. We can score on anyone, just need a little DEE…I like our chances too.

I’ll take your Pats over the Jets all day long. Even though the Jets new QB had a good first game, he’s still a rookie. Patriots win 31-20.[/quote]
I like your O-P-T-I-M-I-S-M but I feel it’ll be much closer Pats win 27-24. Saints win 110-21

Jets defense is strong! I missed that pick. - Saints surprised me at Philly today with a slam dunk. They’ve now scored 40+ in their first 2 games.

Idiot, on a different note, I saw on the RIP thread that you had lost a close friend. My sincere condolences.

Thanks Ace. We did not look good this week with 2 tough home games coming up against the Ravens & old friend Matt Ryan & the Falcons. Your Saints look great. They fell short of my predicted 110 but almost halved it.

Beat the Jets and that hotshit rookie QB. We’re 4 and 0. Is this real or is it a mirage? Geaux Saints!

Great! A win-win for both of us. Your team is for real as they are winning blow-outs & close games. Reminds me of our [size=1]ahem[/size] perfect run last year. My Pats are back on track & looking good. What a Super Bowl matchup that would be Ace. Wish my Sox luck as they start…well…ugh…I don’t know yet!

Hey Idiot, the Pats come to New Orleans Nov. 30. I think that’s a Monday Night game. Should be a barn burner!

I figured maybe there would be others on here interested in our game of football. College football is fair game, too. Idiot, do you follow college ball? Did you see Tebow get his brains knocked out?

Jets got beaten on a late TD in Miami - GO FISH!

watching the Jets fail is almost as fun as watching any other team succeed. I love it.

[quote=“AceHigh, post:10, topic:1972”]Hey Idiot, the Pats come to New Orleans Nov. 30. I think that’s a Monday Night game. Should be a barn burner!

I figured maybe there would be others on here interested in our game of football. College football is fair game, too. Idiot, do you follow college ball? Did you see Tebow get his brains knocked out?[/quote]
Tim Tebow gets hit The MOVIE, check it on youtube. As European I really have a hard time grasping the Euforia over college football, its crazy.

It’s big business over here along with every other sport - I think it’s shameful the way college athletes are exploited in football and basketball. These guys bring in millions to their university and they get a free “education” if you call not going to class and barely able to read an education.

University of Texas baby! Go Longhorns! Im from San Antonio so I dont have a NFL team I can officially root for even though Im in Dallas Cowboys country (dont give a shit about em’)

Pats are a mediocre 3-2! Tied (technically not) for first. What an up & down team right now.

Ace, i give your team 9 points in that matchup.

For me, it’s the Red Raiders of Texas Tech. Wreck 'em, Tech! I heard UTSA has started a football program due to start maybe next season.

I guess it’s the same for me; I can’t grasp the euforia you Europeans have for your football(soccer).

Hey FT, this is where we somewhat disagree although I understand where you’re coming from. To me, this is the “one bad apple spoils the whole bunch” syndrome. I think it used to be more that way than it is now(as far as the “barely able to read” athlete). My son played college football on scholarship and he worked twice as hard as the regular non-athlete student. He rarely had time for anything other than football and studying. If he ever had free time during the season, he caught up on sleep. The guys on his team that couldn’t hack it gradewise were short-timers. This isn’t an isolated case either because he played at two different universities. Now, having said that, he played Division II, not DI. DII players don’t play in front of the big crowds like DI players so the scholarship is more like “pay.”

He was recruited by a couple of DI schools out of high school and both coaches were adamant about grades. He went DII because he was pretty much guaranteed to play as a freshman. I think there are still players that are pushed through, but they are superstuds and fairly rare. They don’t graduate anyway. And I think alot of the old-time shyster coaches are gone too. Incidently, I heard that Troy Aikman recently completed his sociology degree from UCLA(20 years after he left there).

My problem with the NCAA is the eligibility rules. Let’s say a kid plays for a year at a college then quits school altogether( for two years) because he flunked out. He decides to play football again at another NCAA school. Doesn’t matter if he finds a scholarship or walks on; just that he finds a place to play. He still has 3 years of football eligibility plus a redshirt season if needed. Now, let’s say a kid plays football for one season and quits football because he isn’t getting to play. Now, say this kid stays in school the second year and makes his grades, then the third year he wants to try football again. He only has two years of eligibility left. It seems to me that the kid that has kept on going to school is penalized eligibility-wise compared to the flunky. Sorry about the rant.

Anyone else watching the Pats score?

And what up with the Saints?
And Favre still knows what he is doing. The good about NFL is that it is not very predictable. For me at least, and looking at the winning teams it mostly changes, of course you have powerhouse like Steelers or PAts. But nothing like the Bulls with Jordan or in europe soccer, like the big 4 in england that always win everything.
That is cool. Unfortunately it is really hard to see much football here. Mayber i should try to find a bar next time for an early game.

If you think the Europeans are bad read any article on South American football/soccer fans - they’re insane.

[quote=“AceHigh, post:16, topic:1972”]Hey FT, this is where we somewhat disagree although I understand where you’re coming from. To me, this is the “one bad apple spoils the whole bunch” syndrome. I think it used to be more that way than it is now(as far as the “barely able to read” athlete). My son played college football on scholarship and he worked twice as hard as the regular non-athlete student. He rarely had time for anything other than football and studying. If he ever had free time during the season, he caught up on sleep. The guys on his team that couldn’t hack it gradewise were short-timers. This isn’t an isolated case either because he played at two different universities. Now, having said that, he played Division II, not DI. DII players don’t play in front of the big crowds like DI players so the scholarship is more like “pay.”

He was recruited by a couple of DI schools out of high school and both coaches were adamant about grades. He went DII because he was pretty much guaranteed to play as a freshman. I think there are still players that are pushed through, but they are superstuds and fairly rare. They don’t graduate anyway. And I think alot of the old-time shyster coaches are gone too. Incidently, I heard that Troy Aikman recently completed his sociology degree from UCLA(20 years after he left there).

My problem with the NCAA is the eligibility rules. Let’s say a kid plays for a year at a college then quits school altogether( for two years) because he flunked out. He decides to play football again at another NCAA school. Doesn’t matter if he finds a scholarship or walks on; just that he finds a place to play. He still has 3 years of football eligibility plus a redshirt season if needed. Now, let’s say a kid plays football for one season and quits football because he isn’t getting to play. Now, say this kid stays in school the second year and makes his grades, then the third year he wants to try football again. He only has two years of eligibility left. It seems to me that the kid that has kept on going to school is penalized eligibility-wise compared to the flunky. Sorry about the rant.[/quote]

I agree with student/athletes in division II schools. My fiancee played field hockey for a DII school in PA. She probably could have played DI but she choose a school that had the courses she wanted. I didn’t mean to bash all athletes just mainly the ones who really think that HS is the best years of their life and never played after it. I didn’t play sports in college and that is fine with me. Sports are great for keeping fit and team building but I think some people take them too far.

and I agree 100% about the eligibility nonsense - you should have 4 years to play regardless of how much you play your freshman year or if you’re hurt or if you can’t hack it grade wise. Just because you bounce from school to school should not extend your career.

The Saints…are they for real?! I’m kind of afraid to get very excited for fear I’ll jinx them.