Adios Gringo (Giorgio Stegani, 1965)

I agree on 100 Rifles. Jose Manuel Martin gets strug up at the start! It has the “feel”.

Not much chance for the South African ‘3 bullets for a long gun’ and ‘They call me Lucky’ then.
I’ve just watched ‘Wanted’ with Gemma, and although I really enjoyed it, those SA films (which do get a bit of a slating from time to time have more of the ‘spaghetti-ethos’= feel … in my book - whatever that means!?

(Edit: hic :stuck_out_tongue: ;D)

Thanks everybody for reacting and coming up with titles of films based on novels
I’m checking details etc. and the work will keep me busy for the next 24 hours, I suppose
I’ll have to change something in the text, or maybe add a note; I don’t know yet what i’ll do

It’s of course hard to define the term ‘Spaghetti western’ or ‘Western all’Italiana’, but the definition, or demarcation, I had in mind, is the one made in Italy, by most experts on the subject. Even though there is no official consensus of opinion, to be called a ‘spaghetti’ or ‘all’Italiana’, a western must be:

• a predominantly Italian production
  • have an Italian director

So films like 100 Rifles and Shalako are dropped since they’re no Italian productons
The Winnetou films are dropped since they’re predominantly German productions
A man called Noon is often dropped (the director isn’t an Italian), sometimes accepted (it’s an Italian production and some experts are more lenient towards the ‘director-demand’)
Films like 4 Dolares de Vengeanza (written by two Italians), Requiem per el Gringo, El precio de un Hombre/The Bounty hunter and some others are dropped because they are predominantly Spanish productions and the director is Spanish
Sledge is usually accepted, even though the director, Vic Morrow, and nearly the entire cast is American; it is an Italian production and the Italians say the film was co-directed by an Italian, Giorgio Gentili (according to them he even did the lion’s share of the work)

Don’t get me wrong: they’re not my demarcations, I’m only describing the Italian situation, and the specific Italian sensibilities
I can live with them, although I have no difficulties either in accepting films like El Precio de un Hombre or Requiem per el Gringo as spaghetti westerns. They have the ‘feel’, whatever that means.

These spanish westerns are definitive Spags. The others I would also exclude, except Sledge, a bordercase.

I’m not surprised by the success of Gemma’s early SW efforts, but I’m surprised that the more simple One Silver Dollar and Adios Gringo were even more successful than both Ringo films, which looked at least like SWs, which had the Spaghetti touch.

But most surprising is that all 8 early SWs with Gemma made more money than Django in Itlay.
I always had assumed that with the arrival of Django, Nero, as a more modern type of hero/anti-hero, would have been the logical successor to Gemma’s more lightweight personage.
Maybe he was for an international audience.

I have changed the text a little:

• The categorical 'only two were genuine adaptations of literary fiction about the Far West’ has been changed into:
    'Only a handful were genuine adaptions of literary ficton about the Far West, among them:’

*El precio de un Hombre/The Bounty Killer (based on a novel by Marvin H. Albert) was added to the two already mentioned examples of such films

El Precio de un Hombre/The bounty killer is predominantly Spanish and the director is not Italian, still I have accepted it as a ‘Spaghetti western’. Criteria must be workable, but will never be water proof, so as far as border cases are concerned personal ideas or feelings must turn the scale (If itlooks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is a duck)- in my opinion this film looks, walks and quacks like the genuine stuff, so it must be real.

I found out that this Marvin H. Albert was quite a prolific writer; not only westerns like The Law and Jake Wade and Guns of Diablo were based upon his work, but he also created Tony Rome, that Blue Eyed detective appearing in two films, Tony Rome and Lady in Cement. Chris seems to know his work, maybe he can tell us a little more about the guy.

As far as the relation Film/literary fiction is concerned: some of the films mentioned were (imo) either no spaghetti westerns or no genuine adaptions of literary fiction. Kid Rodelo is clearly a predominantly American production shot in Spain; as such it anticipates productions like El Condor and Shalako. To be a ‘genuine adaption’ at least the story line of the novel source must have been respected. I’m very familiar with the works of Jack London and can tell you that the Zanna Bianca movies only have some names and settings in common with the novels. Apart from that both White Fang and its predecessor Call of the Wild aren’t really literary fiction on the Old West; they’re more metaphysical studies about the human - and animal! - condition, and the way the two species see each other. Uncas, el fin de una raza could be consired as an adaptation; I haven’t seen it but J.F. Cooper’s storyline has been respected more or less, according to some descriptions of the movie. The question is of course, whether it can be regarded as a film on the Far West. Even when you accept more eastern locations as acceptable for a ‘western’ (why not?), it’s rather doubtful if the novel belongs to the literal genre of ‘western fiction’ : I think most people wouldn’t classify it as such, just like Capote’s In Cold Blood or Dostojevski’s Crime and Punishment usually are not classified as ‘crime fiction’, even though they’re novels about crimes …

Nicely done, amigo!

I don’t know too much about Marvin H. Albert, beyond the fact that he wrote for the old Pulp story magazines and moved on to the paperback market from there.
I have read a handful of his Western novels, but had no idea he created the character of Tony Rome!
I might do a little more research on this guy and see if I can find some more of his work.

Gracias, amigo!

Watched the NEW version of this. Lovely widescreen print but the English sound obviously taken from different sources and a bit tinny at times.
Preposterous story whereby some folk wanna string up an obviously innocent Gemma who’s forced to kill, and who therefore goes on the run. Then, when it seems that he’s obviously guilty, people start to believe he’s innocent. All this revolves around him rescueing Evelyn Stewart (who’s blonde again, Phil) - who’s been nastily raped and staked out. A cleanish, naive, Americanish western feel, but with a few nastier spaghetti elements included as well.
It was enjoyably washed down with a cider or two - but is still probably my least favorite Gemma western due to its overall lack of spaghettiism.

This one did absolutely nothing to me. Way too american for my likes.

Well, I understand that this Americanized movies keep away most of the spaghetti fans, but I kind of like this one.
Just ordered the Thai edition (Triple X Film). It will be my first buy from them, don’t know exactly how good are their releases, but the price seems fair.

[quote=“p.pereira, post:20, topic:962”]Well, I understand that this Americanized movies keep away most of the spaghetti fans, but I kind of like this one.
Just ordered the Thai edition (Triple X Film). It will be my first buy from them, don’t know exactly how good are their releases, but the price seems fair.[/quote]

Let us know how it is.
I have Arizona Colt from Triple XXX (no English audio, only Italian): excellent image quality and loud 5.1 sound. But I wouldn’t expect too much from that surround track: it’s clearly fake, they used the front speakers for the actual soundtrack and added some noises for the rear speakers, such as hoof beats etc. I found that quite amusing, but it occasionally leads to very odd echoes.

The package should arrive with “Some Dollars For Django” and “The Five Man Army” too. Let’s hope the best…

Its good the triple X DVD, seems like its the correct aspect ratio 2.35:1. But I find this film hard to get through, a bit of a lame SW, though there is a surprising violent moment. It might be the english dub, I think the Italian dub would be much better.

This movie seems to lose me as well. I usually enjoy GG’s movies but this one was way to flat & non interesting.

Yes, a too simple film. There is not much of an SW in it.

At least it was watchable. Entertaining on a low level, so to say.
Means I wasn’t bored and forgot it quickly.

The 4/10 category

I wasn’t bored, even thought it was quite likable, but it’s a typical early outing, with a reduced SW factor, it’s still rather classic in feel, but (like chuck connor’s brother says) with some grittiness shining through here and there

The Italian audio is fine.
I’ve never heard the English dub, so I can’t compare

There’s one line in the Italian audio that I always experienced as typically Italian (and a bit odd in the historical context of the West):
When Gemma arrives in town, he’s accused of stealing cattle and the people want to lynch him; he frees himself and shoots the man who accused him in the first place (the original owner of the cattle). The the man’s wife kneels down at the side of her husband’s dead body and cries (looking up):

“Vendicate mi”

Literally: “Revenge me”, in more common English something like: “Take revenge in my name” It’s an appeal, a supplication, directed at the townspeople (it’s plural). I know justice was quite direct in the Old West, and the old biblical principle of an ‘eye for an eye’ was en vogue, but I would’ve thought it was more logical for her to say something like “Hang him”, or “Track him down”

So I wonder what she says in the English dub

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:26, topic:962”]“Vendicate mi”

… but I would’ve thought it was more logical for her to say something like “Hang him”, or “Track him down”

So I wonder what she says in the English dub[/quote]
When she’s snivelling over the body she bangs on about him killing for afew miserable head of cattle and she finishes with "You can’t let him get away."
Then it’s the hatched-faced old bag that says "String him up!"
After he does get away, wifey bleats "I’ll offer a bounty to see that he’s captured - I want Landers hunted down in every state of the Union."
There you go scherp.

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:27, topic:962”]When she’s snivelling over the body she bangs on about him killing for afew miserable head of cattle and she finishes with "You can’t let him get away."
Then it’s the hatched-faced old bag that says "String him up!"
After he does get away, wifey bleats "I’ll offer a bounty to see that he’s captured - I want Landers hunted down in every state of the Union."
There you go scherp.[/quote]

Thanks
I’ll check later what she says in Italian after Gemma got away. I suppose it’s something similar.
But it’s a very nice detail that a woman uses the verb ‘vendicare’ immediately. In other words: she’s thinking more in terms of vengeance than of justice.

Same in Italian

The idea of the town taking revenge for, or in name of the woman, is emphasized when one of the older women says:

“Vendichiamo la”

Literally: Let’s revenge her, so: Let us take revenge in her name

This all makes sense if you consider the different conceptions of the ‘community’ (represented in westerns by the town). In the West the towns were growing communities, a person could be a stranger, but he wasn’t an intruder per se: he could become a member of the growing community relatively easily. In the Italian westerns, the town is often seen as a hostile, ‘closed’ community, symbolizing the clan & family mentality of the Italian culture. It’s not easy to become a member of such a community, a stranger is by definition an intruder. Therefore: when one member of such a community/clan is bleeding, the entire community/clan is bleeding, and justice is -literally - defined in terms of vengeance: "“Vendicate mi” “Let us take revenge in her name”

Here are two screens of the Italian disc
It’s non-anamorphic, but otherwise surprisingly good; colours are warm and the image is rather clean; the only problem seems that the image seems a bit squeezed vertically on the extreme left:

[/URL]

[url]http://img704.imageshack.us/i/vlcsnap2010011014h14m41.jpg/

Here’s the same shots from the NEW disc. Similar - just a tad more image on the left (a bit more of the fellah in the first, and a bit more building in the second - obviously highly important to the story though ;D).
(It’s my computer that squeezes the images widthwise - it’s actually wider looking on the tv).