A Town Called Hell (1971)

This was a Spanish - British co-production starring Telly Savalas and Robert Shaw, with Americans in supporting roles, and shot at the usual places in Almeria.

I note the Geneon disc has been criticized for being a poor transfer.
Has anyone seen the BCI - Eclipse DVD?
They released a number of restorations of Spanish films, and others that were not so good.
Can someone comment on whether or not the film is uncut and in widescreen in good quality?

Richard

[quote=“Richard–W, post:1, topic:2753”]This was a Spanish - British co-production starring Telly Savalas and Robert Shaw, with Americans in supporting roles, and shot at the usual places in Almeria.

I note the Geneon disc has been criticized for being a poor transfer.
Has anyone seen the BCI - Eclipse DVD?
They released a number of restorations of Spanish films, and others that were not so good.
Can someone comment on whether or not the film is uncut and in widescreen in good quality?

Richard[/quote]
available on ebay now buy it before it’s too late

Well, since no one responded to my question, I went ahead and bought the BCI / Eclipse edition.
I’ll find out about the quality of the transfer by watching it after I buy.

Richard

What a disaster.
This disc is a total travesty.
The transfer is full-screen pan & scan, cut by 8 minutes, and two dozen generations removed from a viable source.
The picture is muddy, streaky, dim, contrast blown, and so dark for long stretches that no image can be seen.
The label is actually Brentwood, which is a public domain label.
BCI / Eclipse appears at the bottom of the cover art in teeny weeny itsy bitsy type as the distributor, not the label.

So the information given in the amazon listing was wrong.
They gouged me $2.95 for this travesty plus $3.00 for postage.
Time to go to war and get my money back.

Richard

Richard, there’s a widescreen DVD release of this movie out in Spain. It’s good quality too. The only downside is that the DVD isn’t English-friendly. However, there’s a ‘fandub’ of the Spanish DVD in existence, which marries the English audio to the widescreen transfer on the Spanish disc. Please PM me if you want more info.

I really like this film; it’s a shame it hasn’t had a better English-friendly DVD release.

That’s just the sort of feedback I was hoping for. Thanks. YGPM.

Richard