A Taste of Death / Quanto costa morire (Sergio Merolle, 1968)

That's a stunning transfer indeed.
But in 4:3 :(

You canā€™t have everything, can you. At least one can spot beautiful landscapes instead of bleary background. Itā€™s always something.

But most likely open matte. The original aspect ratio is probably ā€œonlyā€ 1,66:1.

Finally watched it. Ok film.
I liked the moodiness to it, but then came the awful master/student bit. Laughable really, like the fight in the snow.
For me this film is vastly overrated. Itā€™s alright, but thatā€™s about it.

Just viewed this one again via the fullscreen T.V print at CG. A big improvement over the VHS sourced print, and like previously mentioned if filmed in 1.66 fullscreen is ok. The jokey style music played at the start of the film in contrast to the main vocal theme is a stark contrast, that was my first thoughts. Philippe Leroy looked alot older than the previous role in Yankee. The performances of Leroy and Ireland are intense, not sure on the voice of Ireland though on the english dub. Leroy plays a more bitter character than Ireland, whereas the Ireland character has a few more regrets. The training scene is cheesy though I have to admit. An interesting film still for me.

Thatā€™s the version I watched too. Still seemed cropped to me, but it finally looked good enough to me to watch the film. Been postponing that, because of previous versions.

Itā€™s a quite original and moody film and for those aspects I applaud it, but overall I think itā€™s only slightly better than average.

Yes about the same for me really.

Finally decided to check this out. I really like the theme song and otherwise the soundtrack isnā€™t bad either. All in all the plot is mainly your basic revenge plot, but it didnā€™t bother me so much. I have to give credit for those great landscape shots, and especially the scenes that were shot in snow, there arenā€™t too many SWs set in snowy landscapes so this is something that I really liked about Cost of Dying. So all in all the plot could be better, but this is still an enjoyable movie to watch. 3 stars out of 5. Iā€™m glad that we at least have this better quality version out, even though itā€™s in 4:3. By the way, were those scenes with snowy landscapes shot in Italy?

Yes.

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Taste_of_Death_(Quanto_costa_morire)_Review

A re-watch. Enjoyed watching this one again, good cast, good story, creepy villain and a fair amount of solid action and gunplay. 6/5 out of 10

Does anyone else think of Bruno Corazzari to be the Italian Luke Askew. He reminds me of him so much.

I have seen Askew only in La notte dei serpenti. I have to say he is the last to remind me of Bruno Corazzari, who, by the way, I think soon must be next in line for the best supporting actor of the SWDB hall of fame, especially for his role in Quanto costa morire, which I like a lot (even if it has cattle in it, the film that is), also he is real good in Quel maledetto giorno della resa dei conti, another one which I like a lot.

In the credited cast are are both Claudio and Sergio Scarchilli.

Claudio Scarchilli

I find only a few credits for Sergio, all westerns save one. Some sources seem convinced Sergio = Sandro and vice versa, butā€¦ when I find Sergio credited I do not find Sandro.

Sandro Scarchilli

Sergio is also credited in Il magnifico West (1972), Lo sceriffo di Rockspring (1971), ā€¦ E venne il giorno dei limoni neri (1970), La belva (1970) and Odio per odio (1967). Starting with Sheriff of Rock Spring I found a common face in the first 3 I checked.

Lo sceriffo di Rockspring

Il magnifico West

Odio per odio

La Belva is the only one with both Sandro and Sergio credited. Sandro appears as a bandit.

La belva

All these are minor but fairly significant characters to the plots. I donā€™t have the gangster film. This is where it gets a little tougher with Cost of Dying. My first thought was one of these 2 but I believe this bandit in the tent may fit the bill. Iā€™m not finding him anywhere else. What do you think @JonathanCorbett?

1 Like

Iā€™d say yes. Excellent job!

4/5 stars. This is a damn good spaghetti western. Iā€™d like to see Koch release this one.

Thatā€™s Bruno Corazzari, not Philippe Leroy! :smiley: I donā€™t like the opening music very much. It would have been better if theyā€™d have left it silent. I agree with you about the training scene, as well. The film has its flaws, which is why I gave it 4 rather than 5 stars.

Yes, I would welcome a Koch Media or Wild East release of this film. The DVD-R I have is unwatchable.

Mine is quite good quality, a composite of the letterboxed TV print and the VHS rip with English audio.

From Koch is unlikely, as no German dub for this film exists.

Do you have the Sinister Cinema DVD?

1 Like