A Taste of Death / Quanto costa morire (Sergio Merolle, 1968)

It varies, some parts are okay, others are rather hazy. Quality is better than the Italian TV version (which is indeed quite red at times)

Very good movie, although the plot and the characters less italian than I expected. Except for Bruno Corazzari, who is the main star in this movie, without him this western would be much less impressive.
Imdb has it 4.3. :o
Why is it so underrated? Of course it’s no masterpiece but it deserve at least 5 or 6. >:(

[quote=“Mickey13, post:82, topic:551”]Very good movie, although the plot and the characters less italian than I expected. Except for Bruno Corazzari, who is the main star in this movie, without him this western would be much less impressive.
Imdb has it 4.3. :o
Why is it so underrated? Of course it’s no masterpiece but it deserve at least 5 or 6. >:([/quote]

Imdb ratings are quite often in one word strange - many of my favourites have bad numbers,
but i must say - i don´t bother myself with those ratings anymore,
it´s just ridiculous sometimes, so it somehow stopped my interest in this direction
Whose are those people making ratings? - just a buncha of normal people with verstatile opinions, who think they have something to say - just like us ;D
But back to Taste of Death - i´ve seen it only few days ago - and quite liked it - Corazzari was great in his minimalistic contemplative acting approach :slight_smile:
i also liked atmosphere of that village surrounded by snowy mountains and some of the music
final showdown was well staged
4 out of 5 for me

Many of IMDb’s ratings are laughable, but this one is really something. Here it’s considered a hidden gem, there a bad film. I trust the judgement of my fellow SWDB users a lot more than the average IMDb user.

You and Stanton will be happy to know that IMDb users consider Cipolla Colt slightly better than La colina degli stivali/Boot Hill… ;D :wink:

Jonathan, here´s my reaction: :frowning: >:( >:( >:(
and of course that anger came from rating of Cippola Colt
but on a serious note - imdb ratings for these considered bad movies like Boots Hill or Mad Max beyond Thunderdome (and many others) are mostly based on non-flexibility of human mind and unwillingness to embrace new patterns
yeah and Stanton is certainly going mad from that Boot Hill rating ;D

IMDB is the cinematographic equivalent of the Eurovision Song Context

May we have your votes please …

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:87, topic:551”]IMDB is the cinematographic equivalent of the Eurovision Song Context

May we have your votes please …[/quote]

on IMDB you may have many votes of unscrupulous teenagers

Hardly, as I also don’t care what my neighbour thinks about films I like, cause I generally don’t care about my neighbour’s opinions, nor do I care about IMDB. I also never (well, nearly never) check IMDb for informations.
Still I don’t think that IMDB ratings are generally bad, but they are worthless for films far beyond the mainstream. ans especially if it comes to SWs apart from the Leones.

In the case of IMDB and Boot Hill a bad rating is more of a recommendation. (Which does not automatically mean that Cipolla Colt is also recommended. ;))

It’s worth pointing out that IMDB use what they call a “weighted average”, which I think is supposed to reduce the effect of the fact that a lot of people vote either 0 or 10 for everything. They don’t say how it works, but it often seems to give odd results when there’s few votes. The actual mean score for Cost of Dying is about 1 greater than their “weighted average”.

(I haven’t seen Cost of Dying, so I don’t have anything intelligent to say about it…)

well, i supposed you don´t care (i deduced it somehow in very holmesian way :smiley: ) - just a joke

anyways i gladly recommend Boot Hill here - and with good rating ;D

What IMDB ratings tell you is how much a film is accepted by a mainstream audience. Not more, not less

True, but “difficult” SWs like Bandidos, E Dio disse a Caino, Black Jack, Requiem per un Gringo and even Matalo! have ratings between 6.9 and 6.7

Probably less voters. I noticed that films with few voters often have rather high ratings.
Seems logical, the films are not well known to wide audiences, and as a result there are more fans of the genre among the voters than usual.

Only Black Jack and Requiem per un Gringo have less voters, but it’s the very same situation as Quanto costa morire…

we can organize a mass rating campaign for Taste of Death imdb health improvement ;D
it could be called “SWDB for the rescue”

Well, Quanto costa morire is a lesser film compared to those 5. :wink:

Finally got around to watch this spag for this first time, and quite liked it. I found it to be an above average spag with a good story and plot. John Ireland and Corazzari are the stand outs in this spag. Nice scenery and some good action make’s it interesting thru out. Great score also! 7/10

taste of death available on youtube with a great transfer! but without english audio :frowning:
someone to put english audio with this transfer please Quanto costa morire - 1968 (Cuanto Cuesta Morir ) girato in Opi (AQ) film completo in spagnolo ( - YouTube

That’s a stunning transfer indeed.