A Rope for a Bastard / Una forca per un bastardo (Amasi Damiani, 1968)

Database page: Forca per un bastardo, Una - The Spaghetti Western Database

Hi,
What do you think of this western ?
For me, he looks more like an US Western as an IW. And sometimes a little bit boring.
But the music was pretty good !!
For me 5,5 / 10

Screenshots from the German VHS:

Waiting for some kind soul to do some fansubs :slight_smile: .

There are english subs available now. They’re autotranslated but good enough for to understand the otherwise talky film. pm me if you’re interested.

Yes, very talky film !

Ninety-two year old director Amasi Damiani (Tara Pokì, Omah-Ri Ghosts)

Amasi Damiani 2019

Blimey he looks good for 92

1 Like

Ha, ha thought it was an old photo of James Mason at first !

Another role for Francesco De Leone here as Jerry the mailman (2 pics above), credited here as Francesco M. De Leoni.

Lemmy Carson is credited in Heroes Without Glory (1971), Frankenstein '80 (1972), the western Vendetta per vendetta (1968)

and on the posters for this film (see first post above), but Lemmy Carson isn’t credited on screen so he should be one of the unknowns. Unknown credits are for Leo De Ny, Nicola Giarmoleo and Franco Lo Verde. Nicola Giarmoleo’s only other credit is in the quasi-documentary Silvia e l’amore. In this film the 2 stars (Angelo Infanti, Annamaria Rosati) are credited before the title and only 5 are credited after.

Ugo Adinolfi is Infanti’s best friend along with this blond guy who is Lemmy Carson! who appear throughout the film,

so Nicola Giarmoleo must = Lemmy Carson. The man who confronts the lynch mob and stops them from hanging the stranger looks to fit the bill.

3 Likes

Good job, as usual. On posters Francesco is credited with the correct surname ending in -e.
The contemporary presence in the credits on screen of De Leo-ni and Leo De Ny is certainly rather bizarre!

Leo De Ny is credited as writer in the above-mentioned I giardini del diavolo/Heroes Without Glory (1971), the other unknown performer Franco Lo Verde is also present in the war drama Rose rosse per il FĂĽhrer (1968).

1 Like

I have the Rai Movie of that. Thanks, I’ll check it out

1 Like

The General in Rose rosse… is the storekeeper

In record time! :slightly_smiling_face:

This film’s page in the database has been updated to the new layout. Please contribute to it where you can.

I added a review of this rather obscure movie

It must be one of the oddest genre entries in the history of the spaghetti western, often feeling more like a detective story than a western. There’s a good upload available on You Tube (under the title Eine Kugel für den Bastard); it has fine image quality, but only German audio. There are English subs, but I understand German so I didn’t need them and a quick look at them seemed to indicate that they were far from perfect, but they might be good enough to tell viewers what the story is about.

6 Likes

Prompted by Scherp’s new review I caught up on this one for the first time this morning.
It felt like a Germa western to me and not because of the dub on the youtube version of the film available. It was more the upstanding sheriff, love interest and comic side characters. That’s pure sauerkraut right there, not spaghetti. But the credits indicate it is definitely an Italian film. Could it have been made for the German market? Guess we’ll never know. Either way, it’s not one I’ll be rushing back to.

1 Like

There are no German actors in the movie so I doubt this was done for the then also “oberflowed” market in Germany.
Nevertheless German cinema start was in the year of movie production: 13. December 1968.

For the record: The only existing German 35mm copy - that was scanned for the DVD - now is in our private stock since the DVD company gave it to me as present for helping them with the release :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Thanks for the info, Grinder

Unexpectedly good one. This is a crime story and this time it is even a proper detective story, maybe the only one in sw genre.The sheriff (Palmara) actually investigates the crime and interrogates people.

It has competently written dialogues and I liked Palmara in the lead role. It might be possibly even his best role in any western.

The direction is nothing special but it is also not terrible. After this one I would really love to see Damianis I fantasmi di Omah-Ri with Richard Harrison. This one is nice 3/5.