A Man Called Blade / Mannaja (Sergio Martino, 1977)

Well, you obviously hold Castellari in higher regards than me so I can understand your disappoinment. I wasn’t disappointed with the Italian PA genre because I never expected much more from those directors.
And Planet of the Vampires is not Bavas best, but a fine example of how a very low budget sci fi flick that would’ve been nothing but a camp fest in the hands of people like American International could be more than that when somebody with a lot of talent was at the helm.
I think Bava was as talented as Leone but they were very different directors so it’s useless to compare them. Leone always aimed for epic, big movies with lot of outdoor scenes while Bava always liked interiors (he even used to shoot outdoor scenes in interiors) and smaller scale movies.

I watched this film this morning. Heard it was pretty good and it was. Had all the things i want from a spag west. It is said at times that 70’s spag wests are poor but this, like Keoma, is good. I gave it 5 stars, but I dont include Good Bad Ugley and For Few Dollars More in these ratings cos they are way way off the scale.
So a good entertainment and even my wife thought so which means it must be watchable.
I like the harmonica that was played occasionally almost like in ‘Once Upon a Time In The West’, and BLade is not unlike Bronsons character in same said film.
So again, a film well worth watching. I was entertained all the way through, seemed to be no dead/dull spots in it.

watched this the other night and I really enjoyed it , it’s what I want from a spag western, am not big on the comedy ones, so this was really enjoyable , apart from Keoma which I have, is there any other 70’s spag westerns people would recommend?

I bought three box sets of spag westerns , alot to get through ! Lol

try California - and Silver Saddle also has some fine moments

Four of the Apocalypse / I quattro dell’Apocalisse (Italy 1975 / Director: Lucio Fulci)

Thanks for the recommends I have Four of the Apocalypse I will watch that tonight, cheers dudes.

There is an article on Twilight Spaghetti Westerns here:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Twilight_Spaghetti_Westerns

Watched it today… Not very impressed, although amusing enough. It definitely had it’s moments, but not a western I will watch again. Didn’t quite have the charm of the 60s…

Unfortunately same with me. It never came up to my expectations. I was looking for good, gothic atmosphere with some impressive slow-motion shots, but instead I got a poorly written western. The action drags a bit in the middle and there is nothing particularly engaging that would keep my attention. Maurizio Merli is certainly good, but he gives better performances in poliziotteschi genre. Luckily the ending saves the day, even though the rendition might have been better as well, but I guess I can’t complain that much. But for a weak script, it could have been something really good. It just stinks like a Keoma ripoff to me. 3/5

…and, for the third time, same with me 3/5

Yes. It’s a good, solid 3 star movie but a bit overrated. Maybe just because it’s well known for being one of the last films of the genre.

the thing i don’t understand from this flick was the workers of McGowan are slaves? or just a workers who only work for him :frowning:

As far as I remember they are miners who work for McGowan.

thanks

Moves at a brutal snails pace, I love the dreary setting and music, the hatchets are great, especially the stone ones, but the only thing this movie REALLY has going for it is that it made it to region 1 DVD, remastered on a damn fine label.

This was one of the best B movies I’ve seen in a long time. Loved the action, locations and the Keoma style-soundtrack. John Steiner plays the most ridiculous villain ever, is that a Texan drawl crossed with a German accent? Either way I thought he was great and hilarious. This flick is way cool.

Below average for me!

4 out of 5 for me

Middle of the road for me :smiley: .

yes and no, 3.5 i must say