A Fistful of Lead / Sartana’s Here … Trade Your Pistol for a Coffin! / C’è Sartana … vendi la pistola e comprati la bara! (Giuliano Carnimeo, 1970)

Then I assume the Franco Cleef is longer and maybe uncut?

Franco Cleef version uses a fullscreen source for the cut scenes in the German T.V print, and runs to around 88 mins ( even though his cover states 94 mins ).

However, there is now a fandub of the French 2.35 dvd ( running time 88 mins and 24 seconds ) which is better quality still than the Franco Cleef version, and has the benefit of being in the correct aspect ratio through out the whole of the film.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Pardon for resurrecting this old thing, but I was wondering if anyone knew how, or if it even is, good is Wild East’s new transfer of this? I already own this film twice in two separate cheap box-sets, but in both versions it comes in used VHS quality. So does anyone know if the new DVD has a good transfer? If any of you own it some screen-shots would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi Rutledal From what I’ve heard the wildeast version is the definitive release and infininitely better than those public domain transfers.

The Wild East DVD is good. But it’s not as good as the French DVD (SNC / M6).
The image of the Wild East is blurry and grainy in comparison to the French DVD.

But this is my opinion. :wink:

[quote=“The Stranger, post:86, topic:31”]The Wild East DVD is good. But it’s not as good as the French DVD (SNC / M6).
The image of the Wild East is blurry and grainy in comparison to the French DVD.

But this is my opinion. ;)[/quote]
is the same as the francocleef version??

Sorry, I’ve never seen the FrancoCleef version.
But when the FC version uses the German TV-recording as a source, then the Wild East DVD is better.

Problem with the French disc is that it doesn’t have english. I have the FC version but I don’t know which dvd sources it comes from but I don’t think its the french dvd. Its got scenes added in from an uncut fullscreen source, I’m guessing that the wildeast version has all uncut in WS.

There is an english fandub of the French disc but not been bothered to compare it to the Wild East version as of yet.

On its way the film changed into a Sartana movie to respect the production’s wishes, but initially was not conceived like that: this explains why Garko and Franco Pesce are absent even though the film is the third in chronological order and not the fifth.

However, among the unofficial Sartana movies is by far the best, certainly superior to Sartana non perdona. In my opinion C’è Sartana… vendi la pistola e comprati la bara is also one of the best SWs directed by Carnimeo: personally I prefer without hesitation this one to Sono Sartana il vostro becchino and Testa t’ammazzo, croce… sei morto… Mi chiamano Alleluja.

the wild east version has the scene that sabath shooting at the mexicans?? :frowning:

any help for the wild east version please???
i want to buy it
wild east version include the scene that sabath shoot the mexicans at the end???

[quote=“sartana1968, post:93, topic:31”]any help for the wild east version please???
i want to buy it
wild east version include the scene that sabath shoot the mexicans at the end???[/quote]

If you mean the sequence when Sabbath tricks the 4 Mexicans with his parasol which in the FC version is a different source, then yes it’s there

[quote=“Carlos, post:94, topic:31”]If you mean the sequence when Sabbath tricks the 4 Mexicans with his parasol which in the FC version is a different source, then yes it’s there

[/quote]
yes i mean that sequence, very good thank you! in the francocleef version the sequence was in a very bad shape and in a small window
looks like a deleted scene put into the film, now i can buy the wild east version :smiley:

The unimpressive landscapes are the only weak point of this enjoyable and well-made ironic SW. My rating: 3,5/5

I have seen only two Sartana movies (Light the Fuse, Sartana is Coming with Garko) and this one. Obviously a very different take on the character but also very enjoyable. As a long time 007 fan, it doesn’t bother me the difference in the style of the films - every actor is going to bring something different to the character. It reminded me of how Timothy Dalton brought a less gadget focused Bond to the screen after the Roger Moore films. Some might not like the change but that doesn’t mean the movie itself is particularly bad.

I found this a very entertaining movie, a little easier to follow in the plot than Light The Fuse. It’s unfortunate that Southwood’s Sabbath character was not in the movie more - the pace picks up markedly when he rides into the town. Southwood pays him just right, imho, a dangerous dandy, and he’s a character that could have had a whole movie written around him. The version I saw had Sabbath survive and turn out to be not a rival but an ally of Sartana. A nice little plot twist that snuck up on me, at least.

I thought a non-Garko “Official” Sartana pic would be more jarring, but George Hilton is absolutely fine in the role, IMO. I guess a black suit, black coat and black hat, and you’re set. Some of these second tier Spaghs tend to blur together in terms of plot and whatnot (blah blah gold, blah blah Mexicans, blah blah cash-obsessed femme fatale, blah blah corrupt town official, blah blah double/triple/quadruple-crossing bastards), but I am Sartana, Trade Your Guns For a Coffin manages to distinguish itself, if not by a substantially more engrossing plot then at the very least by a great lead character as ever - whoever’s playing him - some nifty improbable gadgets as is befitting of the series, and a fantastic opposite number in the form of the foppish, parasol-swinging Sabbath. Gripes? Hm, well, it moved at a fair lick but as it ended, I felt it had barely got going. I don’t mean that in the more positive “Leave 'em wanting more” sense either, I mean that it felt that not much had happened. But beyond the insubstantiality, I enjoyed it (was there some split-screen chicanery there when Sartana was pitted against Mantas and his hombres, or did the screen just fck up? I couldn’t be sure! ;D). The Sabbath/Sartana peacock display at the end (like a sort of lower-end but also 'roided-up version of Manco/Mortimer’s hat blasting from FaFDM) was absolutely brilliant. Reminded me of that episode of The Simpsons when Homer joined a gun club and was using his gun to turn the lights out, open his beer etc. ;D. Even the "Fcking WHAAAA?!?" ending made me smile.

Sat down to watch this film a few days ago. What a surprise! This film tweaks the nose of the classic Spaghetti Western formula is just the right way. Subtly funny yet with all the ‘cool’ imagery that I look for in these films, this one is a winner. I can not abide a Spaghetti that seeks it laughs from slapstick. This film has none of that. Just a well shot film that teases the classic elements of the genre. Well done!

Probably my favorite in the Sartana series even though it doesn’t have Garko.