A Bullet for the General / ¿Quién sabe? (Damiano Damiani, 1966)

I love your signature quote!

I also really like this movie, getting past some really embarrassing Hispanic accents. Gian Maria Volonte really shone as Chuncho. He was passionate and his presence was magnetic.

The Blue Underground version I have has a sub-par English dub, which is a huge liability. Not only do they use inferior voice actors, but they also change lots of dialogue as well, and for the worse! Fortunately, the version on Amazon Instant Video has the better dub, so I was able to compare the two. Lou Castel’s character Nino particularly suffers for this issue. In the good (second?) English dub, he has a cold detached voice that matches his icy calculating role in the film perfectly. In the inferior (first?) dub, he has an earnest chatty voice that is terrible and makes Castel seem too lightweight for the part. As for Volonte’s Chuncho, in the better dub he has that same wonderful gravelly baritone that he had in Leone’s first two Dollars films. In the inferior dub he does not.

1 Like

Welcome to the SWDB Jose! Good to have you aboard. :slight_smile:

Thanks! Great to be here.

He had passion in the role.

I had no idea there were two English dubs…

I only found out by accident, but now I can’t enjoy my dvd version knowing that the better dub exists, lol.

What about Kinsky?

But you probably own both already. The Koch DVD from the “Rainbow Collection” contains both English dubs.

As does the Blu.

good point, it all comes back to me now :slight_smile: early dementia

I sort of remember you announcing the 2 english dubs when the Koch rainbow disc came out

damn, I am about to be convicted of forgetfulness :wink:

His is different and less good as well, but it doesn’t stand out as much. The woman revolutionary is also better voiced in the good dub. (It was just a much more inspired effort all the way around!) And the dialogue changes are just as noticeable…

Did Martine Beswick not dub over her own performance?

That I don’t know. All I can say is her voice is different in each dub…

1 Like

Does the Blue Underground Blu-ray allow you to watch alternative dubs with both versions or do you have to choose a version to hear a different dub?

I’ve just checked; each version has its own dub. The US cut has the superior dub while the International cut has the inferior one.

According to IMDB, William Berger dubbed Lou Castel in the inferior dub?

I knew there was a reason why I kept my old yellow Koch DVD.

How’s the Koch Blu? Only one version? I’ve only ever watched the international cut, which I love, but I am curious about this “superior dub.”