100 Rifles (Tom Gries, 1969)

there’s a region 1 disc of this. and how on earth is it that you don’t have a multiregion dvd player? ;))

Good question

Just Google the type o dvd player you have and add something like ‘make region free’ to the search query. That should do the trick, at least with me it did. It will give you some tye of code that you feed into your player with yor remote et voila, you have a region free dvd player.

Excellent stuff. I will try it with both my DVD players.
I think I may have said this before. I have a Mac which has the option of switching between R1 and R2 but it can only be done three or four times and then it will stay set on whichever one I choose. Surely as it has the choice I could possibly bypass this and make it multi region but I do not know how.

Anyone out there got any ideas?

google for the dangerous brothers + firmware… that’s how i hacked my laptop’s drive

Cheers Seb. I will give it a go later but right now I am off to the pub. When I say later I mean tomorrow or some time but not when I am drunk. Better not screw my Mac completely.

Edit : Actually when I am drunk I can’t screw anything completely…just ask my missus ;D ;D ;D ;D

LOL

I read this five minutes ago and I am still laughing.

me too, but it’s so true also

Fun movie. I didn’t like the first 40 minutes but then it gets better. Jim Brown is not a great actor but he’s got a good presence and fits the role. Raquel Welch is a very good eye-candy in ths one. Reynolds gets opportunity to showcase his tunt abilities. Lamas’ character is truly evil. Goldsmith score is very nice. Everything feels very spaghettiesque. 8/10

I like this one too. I thought I didn’t at first but I think I was expecting too much out of it. Great Reynolds performance. Brown is fun to watch in most of his films if he is paired with someone who is cimic relief of some sort. Like El Condor. I was happy that they used so may squibs. Squibs are a fascination of mine so don’t be surprised if I ask that alot in other film posts. Also, I think they even used some slow mo in the scene where th Yaqui indians are shot. Great fun and great spanish locations. Great western. 8/10 for me too. :)Also, if anybody finds the main theme familiar. Maybe you have seen The Last Hard Men. It reuses the main theme.

Managed to get a german copy from a TV showing, possibly uncut. It is full frame, but open matte, so no loss of information.

I like this very well directed film more with every viewing. It’s of course not a masterpiece, but, shit, even if there are a few macho cliches too much, I’ll give it a 8/10.

Some remarks about the handling of violence and the similarity to either SWs and The Wild Bunch, which were dicussed in this thread before.

The violence is typical for a more brutish US film of 68, made shortly after Arthur Penn had changed a lot with Bonnie and Clyde.
There are a only 2 slo mo shots (without blood) in the 1st third, there are a few quibs (without much blood) throughout the film, so that generally said it’s a violent but not a bloody film.

Especially the themes of the film and the handling of violence is completely different to The Wild Bunch.

100 rifles was in all probability a successor to the profitable The Professionals, also a cynical and violent film set in Mexico. Both were made with a strong dose of machismo (which is better balanced in The Professionals) and erotic.
CC and Raquel Welch are also similar dressed, both show much of their legs, give deep insights in their decollete, wear tight (and sometimes wet) dresses, and nakedness is reduced otherwise to their beautiful backs.

It’s interesting to see that the familiar spanish locations look quite different when filmed by an american director. I made a similar experience when I shortly watched a few scenes of Custer of the West, directed by the german Hollywood director Robert Siodmak.

I still think that so many of the SWs gives the impression that their directors were not interested in filming landscapes, or even worser were unable to do so. The cheap looks of SWs in outdoor scenes are often determined by the unimaginative way in which they let their protagonists move in the landscapes.

Of course, many of these westerns dealing with the mexican revolution or with mexican troops use, due to the same background, similar images, especially if it comes to the showing of governmental violence, like e.g. executions.
(Compare these films also with Robert Hossein’s The Taste of Violence (1962), Louis Malle’s Viva Maria (1965) or Kazan’s Viva Zapata (1954) )

Compared to SWs I see in 100 Rifles more differences than similarities.
The use of landscape, the action scenes, the characterization, all in all, this is a western made in the (then) progressing tradition of the US western.

My fave scenes in this movie are those featuring Soledad Miranda :stuck_out_tongue:

I wonder why

One tooth extracted in hospital gave me some extra time to write two articles on this lady (and movie):

[url]http://img840.imageshack.us/i/raquel.jpg/[/url]

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Les_100_Fusils_(100_Rifles)_-_DVD_Review

there’s an alternate french cover, updated it. i hope it’s otherwise the same disc?

Noticed that too
It’s the same disc. Apparently the cover with Burt Reynolds was their initial choice, but they changed to Raquel Welch, like someone suggested on a French forum ‘for commercial reasons’. I’m not sure if there really are copies on the market with the other cover (where I bought my copy, Media markt Brussels, all copies where with Raquel), but Amazon.fr has a pic of the other cover

I watched some of this movie a while back and it didn’t really agree with me, despite the fact I’ve been in love with Raquel Welch since I was a teen. I think I’ll give it another go and put it at the top of my “To Watch” list. It certainly has a stellar cast.

I’ve always liked this one. Had only watched it on VHS since I bought it before there was any DVD releases available. Just updated to the UK DVD but I’m disappointed with the horse falls being cut. Spoils some of the action.
Jim Brown is an underrated actor. I like him a lot. I prefer El Condor to this one, however.

Were those horse falls also removed from the version released on the Koch Media DVD? Don’t think so. Very enjoyable Western.