$10,000 Blood Money & The Seventh Seal

(Romaine Fielding) #1

Has anybody besides me noticed the similarities between the opening sequences of Romolo Guerrieri’s $10,000 Blood Money and Bergman’s The Seventh Seal?
It makes me think Guerrieri’s is something of a parody of Bergman’s. They both begin with shots of birds. They both have their “heros” (Django & Antonius Block) awaken with a sigh.
There are horses along the beach, rolling surf, and, of course, Death.
$10,000 Blood Money’s sequence is played for a dark laugh and works well (it is one of my favorite opening sequences in a Spaghetti).
I did a search on this site and did not see any mention of The Seventh Seal.
Maybe there is word of this elsewhere.

(scherpschutter) #2

As far as I know you are the first to notice these similarities

When you watch the first minutes of Bergman’s movie, it’s hard to imagine that Guerrieri did not pay homage to (or parody) it
Like you say, the opening scene of Diecimila dollari … is dark and funny
That are probably not the adjectives you first think about talking about Bergman (although he certainly had some sense of humour) but I guess Guerrieri was impressed by Bergman’s visuals, especially his christian symbolism; grown up in catholic Italy, with christian imagery and symbols around nearly every corner, most spaghetti western directors have developed a powerful visual style, with vivid references to christian iconography

(scherpschutter) #3

It was our own mr. Fielding who noticed the similarities between Gierrieri and Bergman

You can watch the opening scene of Bergman’s film in the previous scene

The next link will lead you to Caravaggio:

(Chris_Casey) #4

Very interesting! I hadn’t caught the resemblance, myself. But, now that it has been mentioned…I can totally see it!
Cool!