Vote for Our Official Top 20

Hi, new here. Thought posting my 20 favourites would be a good way to start.

1. Once upon a time in the west
  2. The good the bad and the ugly
  3. For a few dollars more
  4. The big gundown
  5. The mercenary
  6. Companeros
  7. The price of power
  8. A fistful of dollars
  9. Day of anger
  10. Dead men ride
  11. Vengeance is mine
  12. Death rides a horse
  13. The great silence
  14. California
  15. …and God said to Cain
  16. Taste of death
  17. Death sentence
  18. Cemetery without crosses
  19. The dirty outlaws
  20. Run man run

Hey there, also new here and here is my list of the Top 20 Spaghetti Western of all time:

1. Il Buono, il brutto, il cattivo (The Good, the Bad and the Ugly)
  2. C’era una volta il west (Once Upon a Time in the West)
  3. Keoma
  4. Il Mio nome è Nessuno (My Name is Nobody)
  5. Se sei vivo spara (Django Kill… If You Live, Shoot!)
  6. Per un pugno di dollari (A Fistful of Dollars)
  7. Per qualche dollaro in più (For a Few Dollars More)
  8. Quien sabe? (A Bullet for the General)
  9. Il Grande silenzio (The Great Silence)
  10. Da uomo a uomo (Death Rides a horse)
  11. Faccia a faccia (Face to Face)
  12. I giorni dell’ira (Day of Anger)
  13. Une corde, un Colt (Cemetery Without Crosses)
  14. Navajo Joe
  15. Vamos a matar, compañeros (Compañeros)
  16. Ognuno per se (The Ruthless Four)
  17. L’ultimo killer (The Last Killer)
  18. Django
  19. Il mercenario (The Mercenary)
  20. Il ritorno di Ringo (The Return of Ringo)
1 Like

Hi Django! Always good when one of our less active members abandons The Great Silence and joins the rest of us in The Unholy Four(um). And it’s doubly pleasing when that new amigo places Django Kill so high in his affections. :smile:

1 Like

Hehe, I just came up with an idea. How about we list our WORST 20 SW’s? I imagine there’s plenty of films to fit into that category LOL. I’d speculate that “The Great Adventure” would be at the top (or would it be the bottom?) of many people’s lists. :grin:

Just realized the forum is ‘live’ as was reading the new Top 20 and the above post popped up and time changed from 1m to 2m. :sunglasses:

There’s a modest but long-running thread on that very subject kicking around somewhere, although it hasn’t seen much action in awhile.

Welcome back btw SNW500! Now don’t go wandering off like that again! Stick around! :smile:

Thanks last.caress. I’ll check it out. Surely I’ll find “Apache Blood” on that list too :smile:

Apache Blood is literally the worst movie I have ever seen. And not in a “so bad it’s good” way either, it’s simply an affront to cinema. But despite its appearance on Mill Creek’s infamous 44-movie Spaghetti Western box set, it’s actually an American picture, so it shouldn’t turn up on that thread at all.

1 Like

I’ve got ya beat last.caress. I didn’t even watch the whole film. IIRC I pulled out the DvD in disgust…after 5 or 10 minutes of watching a pair of moccasins running around the woods. LoL

There will probably be the usual new year’s update of the forum’s Top 20 in a few days.

So everybody whom Santa Claus(e) brought a new list may post it here in the next few days. Or not …

Hi there, new here. So here is my top 20:

1. Once Upon a Time in the West
  2. The Great Silence
  3. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
  4. The Big Gundown
  5. Face to Face
  6. The Return of Ringo
  7. Django
  8. The Mercenary
  9. The Stranger Returns
  10. A Pistol for Ringo
  11. A Fistful of Dynamite
  12. A Bullet for the General
  13. And God Said to Kain
  14. Hellbenders
  15. Johnny Hamlet
  16. Keoma
  17. Blindman
  18. For a Few Dollars More
  19. Death Rides a Horse
  20. Matalo!

It took me about 20 minutes to make this list, but I’m almost sure I forgot about a title or two (or five) and tomorrow it will break my heart.

Well, you can change it, Or you can post a new one every day (but don’t take this too literal).

But if you change an older list I most likely won’t notice it, and the change won’t be counted for the big list.

Hi everyone, just joined today so here is my top 20:

1. Once Upon a Time in the West
  2. For a Few Dollars More
  3. The Good the Bad and the Ugly
  4. A Fistful of Dollars
  5. The Great Silence
  6. Duck you Sucker!
  7. Face to Face
  8. The Big Gundown
  9. Django
  10. A Bullet for the General
  11. The Mercenary
  12. Companeros
  13. Cemetery Without Crosses
  14. Keoma
  15. Tepepa
  16. Day of Anger
  17. Sonny and Jed
  18. Run Man Run
  19. Sabata
  20. The Return of Ringo
2 Likes

Welcome to the SWDB, Milian!

That’s some good, solid choices right there. We don’t often see Sonny & Jed up in the rarified atmosphere of a Big 20 but it’s still a film which gets quite a lot of love around these parts; tbh, it’s still on my personal “Not Yet Seen” pile.

Anyway, stick around, amigo!

Sonny & Jed is indeed the surprise on this list. Not a bad movie, but it hardly ever appears on people’s lists with favorites, probably because Corbucci did so many good spaghettis that are a) better known and b) probably also higher in quality

Thanks.

I think Sonny and Jed is a film which is hard to search out. There aren’t many dvd releases and I managed to record it on TCM in the UK a couple of years ago, even then it was listed as Bandera Bandits so kind of stumbled on it by accident! I think it’s definitely worth seeing it has a strange mix of different themes and the score is excellent (Mr Morricone again).

I must admit I prefer The Great Silence, Django and The Mercenary etc, but I still rather liked it. I can understand why it wouldn’t be for everyone though. My bottom four on my list aren’t certain to be safe forever though as I have plenty of good westerns that I haven’t seen like $10000 Blood Money, Blindman, And God Said to Cain, Mannaja, Vengeance is Mine and Four of the Apocalypse etc.

1 Like

Sonny and Jed is on 4 lists at the moment, with the highest rank being #11 (from some dutch guy).

With a stunning total of 21 points (GBU has 3312 lille fuckers) it is on # 106, only one place and one point behind another Corbucci Spag Minnesota Clay, and that’s at least pretty close to the top 100.

Thanks for the info. I’ve never seen Minnesota Clay, must check it out one day.

Too frenchified!!! Just kidding, it should be on top ten. To make things more complicated heres my 12( 12 that no one talks about )…
1.Night of the Serpent
2.Black Killer
3.Johnny Hamlet
4.Today We Kill
5.The Five Man Army
6.Arizona Colt
7.And God Said to Cain
8.China 9 Liberty 37
9.Light the Fuse
10.Cemetery without Crosses
11.Lifes Tough eh Providence?
12.Companeros (its time the shitty Mercenary gets replaced with this masterpiece, I dont care what Tarantino says)