The Stranger’s Gundown / Django il bastardo (Sergio Garrone, 1969)

It is

It’s not a screenshot, at least not one I took: I found the pic on the Net

I assume to be the french release…anyone who owns that release can argue though…

I need urgently information about picture quality on Italian DVD. I don’t care that it has no English option whatsoever.

Yeah I would like to know as well. I would also like details on the non-wild east versions of Gentleman killer.

I’ll see if I can find something on Italian sites

Here’s a screenshot, people complain about green “scratches”, visible during some five minutes towards the end (look on the left):
Quality doesn’t look too bad, still the very brief review I was able to find, isn’t very positive:

[url]http://img339.imageshack.us/i/djangoprova6uy1.jpg/[/url]

http://www.afdigitale.it/dvd/vdvd.aspx?pannello=recensione&id=23706

Qualità Dell’Edizione
Sembra di essere tornati indietro nel tempo, in quel “lontano” 1998 quando i primi DVD comparivano sugli scaffali dei negozi italiani. Esattamente…

(Quality of the release
Looks like were going back in time, to the “long gone” year of 1998, when the First DVDs could be found in italian shops. Exactly …)

@scherpschutter
Thanks a lot. It is obviously better than my crappy divx.

Portuguese review now availbale at:

So… I just looked through the VCI disc and the Italian one by Cecchi Gori. And the thing is… the flashback scene on the Italian disc is around the midway of the movie, just like on the VCI disc. :o

I suppose nobody actually ever checked the Italian disc!?! ::slight_smile: But where did the idea of the flashback being at another spot come from? And how the VCI version is a ‘US re-edit’…

Yet… converted to PAL the VCI disc is actually one minute shorter than the CG disc, so there definitely has been some sort of “editing” being done and I would classify the disc as CUT. :stuck_out_tongue: And the German disc is even almost one minute shorter than the VCI one (thus almost 2 minutes shorter than CG).

The German disc is about 5 min shorter than the (supposed) uncut version (102 min) I also have.

German 93 Pal = 97 in cinema

[quote=“Stanton, post:30, topic:560”]Yeah, made in 67, but premiered in the US on 27.7.68.

Coogan’s Bluff followed in October.

Which means that it still were the Leone’s which established Eastwood’s stardom in his home country, cause the first 2 got their US releases in the 1st half of 68.[/quote]
Forgive me for correcting a post from over 18 months ago, but this last sentence has a mistake. A Fistful of Dollars opened in 75 theaters in New York City (I don’t know about other areas) on February 1, 1967. It was reviewed by Bosley Crowther in the New York Times the next day. He gave it a negative review, by the way… but keep in mind that this was the same critic who panned Bonnie and Clyde. For a Few Dollars More opened in New York City on July 3, 1967 and was again reviewed the following day in the Times by Crowther. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly opened in New York January 24, 1968 and was reviewed in the Times the following day by Renata Adler. All of this actually strengthens the point you were making in this old post, which was that Leone’s spaghettis made Clint a movie star in America.

Yes, you are right. I don’t know how this mistake could be happen. Of course they started releasing the Dollar films in 67 not 68.
I correct it.

A funny sidenote:

Hang’ em High, which is only half as good and half as spectacular as the Leones, made in the USA more money than these.

I wonder if the Dollars movies made substantially more money over the next ten years or so, playing in drive-in theaters across the country. Of course, Hang 'em High probably made more money that way too.

Another sidenote: the headline of the review of Fistful in the New York Times (2.2.67) read, “COWBOY STAR FROM TV FEATURED AS KILLER.”

Both of you bring up great points. The dollars film did make Clint a star, but not really a major star since they were hits, but not mega blockbuster hits. As you say, over time as the films gained a better reputation and probably made more money in the next ten years as Clint himself rose in stature.

I just saw this movie and there is an odd detail that confused me. The grave markers Django carries all show death dates of 1881, so that’s clearly when the story is set. But Django keeps talking of his betrayal as something that happened “13 years ago.” So that would be 1868 - three years after the US Civil War ended!

Well, this is a speghetti western and no documentary…

Then it should also confuse you that they often shoot 25 shots from a six-shooter ;D!

;D ;D

Ha ha. Yes, I walked into that. I had no problem accepting a gunfighting ghost either. While I’m complaining, though, in Corbucci’s The Hellbenders you have Confederate soldiers still going around in their military uniforms long after the surrender - and the US soldiers are just letting them pass that way. I am no military historian, but that strikes me as impossible.

I’m not having any problems with that. I think Confederate soldiers walking around in their uniforms after the end of the Civil War is historically authentic and a standard feature of both US and spaghetti westerns.