The Stranger’s Gundown / Django il bastardo (Sergio Garrone, 1969)

I thought it was good. In fact its in my top 20. But I can see why some people might not like it. Its not for everybody.

I saw this one last week but have not been able to be on thie site to offer my opinion. Strangely, I found it very average. Definetly not as bad as shobary says but nowheres near my top 20. I love the atmospher though.

I liked three scenes in this - his first kill, the flashback and the dynamite throwing scene

I also forgot to say that I loved the music. I wonder if Eastwood ever saw this one because it supposedly was his inspiration however, being an italian western, it probobly didn’t get a wide release and maybe he never saw it. Maybe the similarities are coincidence. Has anybody noticed the similarities in the great silence and hang em high. He puts his cigar ou in this enemies drink then shows him a scar around his neck. It makes you think.

I noticed that and mentioned it here on the forum, but someone (Stanton?) said it was hard to imagine Clint saw The Great Silence

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:25, topic:560”]I noticed that and mentioned it here on the forum, but someone (Stanton?) said it was hard to imagine Clint saw The Great Silence[/quote]Wasn’t Clint supposed to make remake of Great Silence? Can’t remember where I heard this, maybe Alex Cox interview.

Yes, Alex Cox told this in one of his interviews, shown on television prior to the movie (in Moviedrome)
You read about this here and there, but it’s mainly hearsay, never very accurate
Maybe it’s true, maybe people read certain influences from spaghettis into Clint’s movies because of his past in the genre

Hang em High was made before The Great Silence.

So, the other way round would be more likely. But if Corbucci shot TGS in winter 67/68 this is also highly speculative.

Shit your right. Hang em high was 67 I think.

Yeah, made in 67, but premiered in the US on 27.7.68.

Coogan’s Bluff followed in October.

Which means that it still were the Leone’s which established Eastwood’s stardom in his home country, cause the first 2 got their US releases in the 1st half of 67, followed by GBU in Jan. 68.

I never realised that.

I found this very boring. The direction kinda sucked and the score was out of place at some moments. Steffen’s acting didn’t do much to me either, although he tries to do his best. The characters are generally flat and most of them are badly developed. Also the town seemed very “clean” for a spaghetti western town, there’s too much light everywhere, even at night, something which certainly can’t create an atmosphere. I don’t think i’ll ever give this another chance, a very dull movie. 1/5 stars

Ithink I understand why you say that. I thought when they were all looking for steffen, the suspense wasn’t that exciting.

Finally got to watch this tonight. And the only real reaction I can come up with is…Meh.

It wasnt bad per say but it wasnt good either. It had its moments though. The premise it self is interesting and some of the scenes are pretty cool. But the script and the direction fail.

The script is very uninvolving. To put it another way it simply lazy. It seem to me like all they did was the bare minimum, just enough writting to string together enough scenes to make a movie. IT most just a bunch of scenes of Steffen shooting people inerwoven with scenes full of horribly written , often overly discriptive dialog. And then theres just some rather cheesy happenings in the script but thats the least of the problems.

I also think in the hands of a better directo this could have really been something great, but Garrone simply doesnt seem to have it. While at times he gives us some very interesting shot compositions, other times he offers nothing but very pedestrian work. The action scenes are generic, his handling of suspense and tension is weak, etc.

Oh and Steffen simply did not look right for the part IMO. And did the blonde brother kind of seem like a poor mans Kinski to anyone else?

Yes a better director than Garrone, whose best SW this is, would have helped.

But it’s a good one nevertheless. 6/10

Oh, and for me this is the one western with Steffen in which he really fits.

Here’s my full take on the film after a long awaited rewatching

[url]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Django_the_Bastard_Review[/url]

Good Review again Korano. :wink: I’m also not sure if Eastwood’s High Plains Drifter was influenced by The Stranger’s Gundown. If he doesn’t say so I won’t believe it. In both movies the main character is supernatural but I don’t think that these two movies were the first. It would be interesting if these two western are the first in which the character is supernatural and takes revenge for his own death. Only in Horror Stories dead people takes revenge for their own death. An other film might be Point Blank (1967). Also there a character (Lee Marvin) could have been killed is taking vengeance.

Nevertheless Django Il Bastardo is an unique western with an interesting soundtrack. Always thought that this whispering voice is quite scary. Oh yes with a better direction, better script, better actors this could be better but hey wait it’s a SW and that are things we knew before. The Stranger’s Gundown doesn’t want to be an usual Django-Adventure with an interesting idea transferred to a low budget production. :slight_smile:

Korano, I advise you to run a spelling check on the review.

I wish I coul do spell check but I don’t have Microsfot word on this computer so I would hae to go through letter by letter. I am way too lazy.

Very nice film anyways! :wink: